PDA

View Full Version : 12v led string lights

Pro-Scapes
11-18-2007, 05:17 PM
Next project the client is requesting the crepes be wrapped in LED string lights. I am hoping to find some quality ones in low voltage since there is already a bullet light there we intend to remove for this. It will be a permanent installation and not just seasonal. We are trying to keep from having to run line voltage to each of the 4 locations as they are quite far apart and will require extensive work. 12vac would certainly be preferred here.

Any ideas or suggestions ? pics of similar installs ? There is one in his sub division done like this but unfortunately every time I go by the lights are off. Would really like to deliver and please this client.

Mike M
11-18-2007, 05:56 PM
Okay Billy, of all the photo's I've ever asked from you, this one I want the most.

NightScenes
11-18-2007, 05:59 PM
I've seen 12v LED rope light but not string (Christmas mini) lights.

Mike M
11-18-2007, 06:03 PM
Oh God, thanks, Paul for clarifying. I pictured rope lights. lol. Sorry, Billy.

Pro-Scapes
11-18-2007, 06:40 PM
yes mini lights. Looks like we need to run line voltage to each location then.

irrig8r
11-18-2007, 07:34 PM
I've seen line voltage LED string Christmas lights by Phillips, and I've seen Nightscaping's Miniborder and Microborder lights, but I've never seen a hybrid. Not a bad idea.

Greg_B
11-18-2007, 07:44 PM
Rare chance for me to contribute.

Check the color of the lights before you install. I put HD LED icicles on the gutters and I didn't see minis there so I went to Lowes. Their lights were a different brand and more of a warm color as opposed to the very blue white of the icicles. If I hadn't already hung the icicles I would have returned them and made sure the colors look consistent. I found C-5s on another shelf at HD from the same mfg.

ChampionLS
11-18-2007, 08:49 PM
Seasons Greetings!

I found some at this link:
http://www.christmas-lights-direct.com/catalog/Commercial-20-Light-Battery-Operated-5mm-Wide-Angle-LED-Light-Se-p-13075.html

Only problem is...it's designed with a battery pack... says it's not for outdoor either..(crazy) but most likely that's because of the battery configuration. I'm sure with some splicing and shrink tubing a longer length can be made.

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
11-18-2007, 08:50 PM
Next project the client is requesting the crepes be wrapped in LED string lights. I am hoping to find some quality ones in low voltage since there is already a bullet light there we intend to remove for this. It will be a permanent installation and not just seasonal. We are trying to keep from having to run line voltage to each of the 4 locations as they are quite far apart and will require extensive work. 12vac would certainly be preferred here.

Any ideas or suggestions ? pics of similar installs ? There is one in his sub division done like this but unfortunately every time I go by the lights are off. Would really like to deliver and please this client.

Billy, I would recommend that you take a look at this company. http://www.magiclite.com/products/LED-Lighting.shtml

They offer a wide variety of quality products. You might find your solution there.

Have a great day.

ChampionLS
11-18-2007, 08:54 PM
What do you think of this one? (from the above website link)

http://www.magiclite.com/led/LED-Minidisc.shtml

Actually.. the Lowes store near me just got this in. They have it on display, but not retail boxed yet.

ChampionLS
11-18-2007, 09:05 PM
I think I saw these guys at Lightfair in 2005 in NYC. Now this is a good example of LED lighting, with techniques and REAL PHOTOS of installations. I see their products are cULus listed. No junk here. :drinkup:

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
11-18-2007, 09:08 PM

Actually.. the Lowes store near me just got this in. They have it on display, but not retail boxed yet.

I think those are mini-glare bombs! Really unattractive fixtures! So much for seeing the effect and not the source. I would think those lights mounted as in the example photo could actually impede the ability to see and traverse the step safely.

If you want an effective step light and you want LED sources, then look to the Vista product.

ChampionLS
11-18-2007, 09:24 PM
James,

I agree with you 100%. We originally experimented with that vertical mounting and stopped right in our tracks. It actually HIDES the leading edge on the steps and can result in a serious accident.

While I'm poking around on their site...here's more examples. (too bright for me)

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
11-18-2007, 09:31 PM
I think those are mini-glare bombs! Really unattractive fixtures! So much for seeing the effect and not the source. I would think those lights mounted as in the example photo could actually impede the ability to see and traverse the step safely.

If you want an effective step light and you want LED sources, then look to the Vista product.

By the way, that photo is one of mine, not a manufacturer's photograph. It shows an effectively lit staircase using Vista louvered step lights.

Have a great day.

ChampionLS
11-18-2007, 09:37 PM
Whats providing the illumination on the side of the steps (left side) on the middle set of steps?

Pro-Scapes
11-19-2007, 12:56 AM

Is that the new indoor evening stars lol... evening stairs ????

Thanks for the links guys. From what I can tell there is a huge difference between ac and dc led lighting too. I can get good quality diogen led line voltage but we are trying to use the existing power off the bullet light thats currently at the tree now.

ChampionLS
11-19-2007, 03:01 AM
Bonk Bonk Bonk! lol.. :hammerhead:

Pro-Scapes
11-19-2007, 09:08 AM
Whats providing the illumination on the side of the steps (left side) on the middle set of steps?

Im willing to bet there is a fixture rail or post mounted just above the view of the photo and a tree light above that too. Notice the hotter area on the railing then the ambient light softly falling on the whole landing .

Either way. Excellent work James.

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
11-19-2007, 07:06 PM

There is a variety of light sources in this photo. There are the step lights (obvious) there are some postliters mounted on the rail structure above the lower set of steps, and there is a tree mounted moonlight over the general area.

Have a great day.

Pro-Scapes
11-20-2007, 12:20 AM
There is a variety of light sources in this photo. There are the step lights (obvious) there are some postliters mounted on the rail structure above the lower set of steps, and there is a tree mounted moonlight over the general area.

Have a great day.

geez did i call that or what!!!! Why didnt you just say I was right :) Integra and Integrity. Seems we think alot alike.

Anyways. back to the subject. Met with the client tonight and we will get line voltage to each location and control via UPB outlets. So who has the best LED line voltage strings. I heard I need to go DC not AC ? Will drivers fit in the inuse covers ?