PDA

View Full Version : Fair price for this Cat 252?

Lawnworks
11-18-2007, 09:56 PM
I am thinking of buying a '04 Cat 252 w/ 500 hours. What is the market value of this unit? One owner and stored under a pole barn. Also what are the differences b/t a 252 and 252b?

accurate machinery
11-18-2007, 11:16 PM
Are you sure about the hours?? There are no rubs on the back corners at all, even with 500 hours there are usually some wear signs, it has been repainted. The painted hydraulic lines, and the rear pivot linkage should be black. I would dig a little deeper, if you call the s/n in to a Cat dealer you can have them check on hour meter service history if it was serviced or warranty repaired at a Cat dealer. Retail value is about $16K but values have been changing rapidly over the past couple of months. I am not sure about the changes between the non "B" and the "B".

bobcat_ron
11-18-2007, 11:28 PM
The B models have little upgrades like horse power and hydraulics, nothing major structurally.

grassmanvt
11-19-2007, 12:09 AM
I could be wrong but if this was an 04' than I thought the b-series was out by then. Not sure though. This is not a b-series machine.

Scag48
11-19-2007, 01:13 AM
I'd run away from that machine. It's not an '04, 04's were B series and this machine has a nice Dupont rebuild. The lift cylinders and rear vertical lift system aren't painted black like they're supposed to be and the hoses are painted, what a cheap paint job. Skid steers don't need paint after 500 hours.

Differences between A series and B series weren't significant. The biggest upgrade was the different joysticks, allowing the use of electrical and other hydraulic functions right from the joystick.

Tigerotor77W
11-19-2007, 04:16 PM
I am thinking of buying a '04 Cat 252 w/ 500 hours. What is the market value of this unit? One owner and stored under a pole barn. Also what are the differences b/t a 252 and 252b?

I second (and third and fourth etc) the thoughts about the paint... not saying there's anything up with it, but painting the H-frame in the back and the front tilt cylinders only seems odd.

The A-series to B-series have a few engine upgrades (HP bump), joystick upgrades (depending on options), and cab upgrades. There may be some powertrain changes, but the basic machine remains unchanged.

accurate machinery
11-19-2007, 05:00 PM
I don't think that they only painted the rear H-frame and front cylinders, they painted and decaled the whole machine. They didn't take the time to separate out the black parts other than the cab and the lift cylinders. Or they masked off the cab and lift cylinders. The point about the paint doesn't make it a bad machine. Skag might be right about it being a machine to run from, however, it could be a machine that someone felt would have been good to repaint for resale. Watch out for signs of Foundry or factory use and or Agriculture use. Those machines frequently have such bad pitting in the wheels and painted surfaces that they have to be repainted or no one would ever buy them. (look closely at the surfaces, if you see that kind of surface you might want to steer clear as every nut, bolt and hydraulic fitting can be a problem). Frequently they end up in an auction with a fresh paint job. You could look at the machinerytrader.com auction results and possibly find the s/n listed.

Tigerotor77W
11-19-2007, 07:12 PM
The point about the paint doesn't make it a bad machine.

True. It could have been personal taste, too, so I wasn't trying to attack the paint job as being a sign of the original owner trying to conceal something...

point well-taken.

Lawnworks
11-19-2007, 07:20 PM
Thanks for the sharp eyes. The machine was bought at an estate sale. The seller says he knew the guy and he bought it new for his ranch. The seller says he did not paint it and is going to ask the widow if she knew of her late husband painting it. I have got the serial number and will check it out at my Cat dealer. Machine is going for 12k... I was thinking I could turn around and do 15k-16k on ebay or equipment trader.

grassmanvt
11-19-2007, 07:29 PM
Thats a pretty good buy one way or the other. If it you don't take it let me know where it is and I'd put a number on it. Good Luck!

KRtraxx
11-19-2007, 07:47 PM
I would be cautious.500 hour machines dont need paint.And as a side note if you dont need the vertical lift the 236 or 246 are a more balanced machine.The 252/262 tends to be rear heavy.(not sure if the new model has changed the balance).I used to sell Cats and I will never forget when we got the first 252 and 262s.The poor fellow I worked with proudly took it out to demo it at a golf course parking lot.As he too quickly backed it off the trailer he ended up wheels up and cab down..lol. Yes it was partly his fault,but I still think(at least the first ones) were to rear weight biased...

Scag48
11-19-2007, 10:23 PM
We had a 252 on rent while our 216 had a warranty issue taken care of a few years back. Hated that machine with a passion, no power, a$$ heavy, terrible visibility, just a pile. I don't like any vertical lift machines, but the fact that the machine was super heavy to begin with and being underpowered on paper was the frosting on the cake. We rented a 248B this summer for about a month for a huge retaining wall job, didn't like that machine much either. We had a 277B last year for a few months but sold it, just a little more machine than our landscape crew needed and we got out excavation completely. With the same engine as the 248B, it seemed like the 277 had way more power behind her. The 248 was very disappointing, we decided not to trade our 216 in on a new 248B after the rental period.

Lawnworks
11-19-2007, 10:38 PM
I was kind of surprised to see that the 252 had less power than my 248. Oh well, I think for 12k I can make a profit re-selling it.

I am happy w/ my old 248 so far, but I don't use it a whole lot. Great for moving sod and harley raking.