PDA

View Full Version : Advice on pricing Fall Clean ups

JohnnyP's Landscaping
11-19-2007, 12:18 AM
Sean,
I'm having trouble pricing my Fall Clean ups. I'm just starting my business and have only put in two ads for Fall leaf cleanups. The calls are starting to come in so I'm feeling good. But, I want to make sure that I'm not cheating myself by bidding to low for my service. Is there a standard bottom line price for the service and then you adjust the price upward based on the square footage of the yard or how heavy the leaves are? I realize that you can't win all of the quotes but certainly want to fight for the most business.

hackitdown
11-19-2007, 03:36 PM
You need to determine what you want to earn on an hourly basis. It also depends on what kind of equipment you have, and how hard, smart, or fast you work.

For cleanups I get at least $60/hr working solo, or $100 with a helper. I have a couple of backpacks, a walkbehind blower, and I do a final clean with a ZTR w/vac system. I have a minimum charge of $250 on cleanups. I am about 45 minutes away from your town, but in your area can probably charge more. With help I can do 2 (or maybe 3 small ones) per day.

DBL
11-19-2007, 04:13 PM
i get $160/hour for a 4 man crew and an average of about $50 for removal

JohnnyP's Landscaping
11-19-2007, 05:45 PM
Tom,

Thanks for your reply. I just work alone and have no employees yet. I am basically pricing each Fall clean up job on the size of the property. I try to get between $40-50 per hr. So maybe I'm not coming in with low ball quotes. I wish I had the leaf vaccum however, as that would make my life a lot easier.
Tom, do you price out your lawn cutting service the same way at $140/hr. for the 4 guys? This coming spring season I will be working alone and will bid each job by the lawn size with a minimun at $30. How does that sound to you?

Thanks for your assistance,
John

JohnnyP's Landscaping
11-19-2007, 06:10 PM
I just started with some small ads and have been getting a few calls. I have been working solo and try to get $50/hr. Just have a backpack blower,
lawn mower, pickup truck and small trailer. I probably could get more but am working toward getting 3-4 customers on the same streets for convenience. Seems to be working with word of mouth referrals. I wish I had the vaccum unit, maybe will invest in one next season.
How do you price your spring/summer work of lawn mowing accts.? I need to start preparing for that. When do you start advertising for the cutting jobs and where do you advertise? Any recomendations on a a walk behind mower that I should invest in. I'm thinking of a good used one. Does Shepards sell good used equipment? I bot my snowblower from them.

John

You need to determine what you want to earn on an hourly basis. It also depends on what kind of equipment you have, and how hard, smart, or fast you work.

For cleanups I get at least $60/hr working solo, or $100 with a helper. I have a couple of backpacks, a walkbehind blower, and I do a final clean with a ZTR w/vac system. I have a minimum charge of $250 on cleanups. I am about 45 minutes away from your town, but in your area can probably charge more. With help I can do 2 (or maybe 3 small ones) per day.

hackitdown
11-20-2007, 06:53 AM
How do you price your spring/summer work of lawn mowing accts.? I need to start preparing for that. When do you start advertising for the cutting jobs and where do you advertise? Any recomendations on a a walk behind mower that I should invest in. I'm thinking of a good used one. Does Shepards sell good used equipment? I bot my snowblower from them.

John

I start advertising for mowing April 1. I find that 75% of the customer make their decision in the Spring. I advertise in a couple of local papers.

Pricing for mowing is a tough thing to teach. All I will say is that you need to look at more than the size of the lawn when you are trying to determine how long it will take to cut. Beds, trees, walks, stone walls, fences, playsets, outbuildings, etc all add to the time it takes. The longer it takes, the more it costs. Your $30 minimum is a good idea, mine is $35.

I think the key to buying a mower, new or used, is to have a good dealer that is willing to reair it. This is a good time to buy used equipment, there is stuff advertised on Craigslist, and also in the WantAdvertiser. I have never dealt with Shepherds, so I can't help you there.

Dunlaps LawnCare
11-28-2007, 06:44 PM
$30 to $35 a hour and depends on hauling away

JohnnyP's Landscaping
11-28-2007, 09:38 PM
Thanks MD I have been pricing to try and get 50.00 per hour. Sometimes I run over and so I have been averaging 40-50/ hr. I work solo and just enjoy being alone but the work load is quickly increasing and the time, weather wise is running out. I wish I had a leaf vaccum and I could realy move.

JohnnyP's Landscaping
11-28-2007, 09:40 PM
MD I'm a Toyota man as well. Mine is a 1997 Toyota T-100.