PDA

View Full Version : Business Naming-- how much info should be in name?

11-20-2007, 01:03 AM
How detailed do you think a name should be? Do you think it should include words like "groundscare", "maintence", "service", "lawncare", "snow", "snow plowing", "landscaping", etc....?

If you have 2 services like lawncare and landscaping (or lawn and snow) are you putting both in your name?

What if you change your services? Then your name will not be correct, name change... bad idea. I am thinking stick to a somewhat generic service listed in the name, so the name will continue to work as long as your in the industry, even if offering different services.

I am thinking short and sweet. I know what I am going with allready, just want to see what you guys think on the subject. Personally I am 99% sure mine will be 2 words. One of them will be Image, lol.

2 clowns mowing
11-20-2007, 05:32 AM
a lot goes into a great business name. you need to have people remember your name.i would stay away from the obvious. make up a name thats fun. when you have a newspaper ad and people go down the list and see the different one's, yours will jump out and grab them and hang on. you also need a great logo, put them on your shirts and signs as much as you can. have fun with it it will help grow your business and will be with your for a long time. it worked for me "2 clowns mowing"

S.I.
11-20-2007, 12:45 PM
Be careful with the name, I had to shorten mine. My brother-in-law was doing sprinklers as a side deal and Incorporated as Sprinklers Inc. I took it over and now do mow lawn maint. than sprinklers (steady dependable income vs. patchy unpredictable). So I had a problem, change name completely and possibly loose some reputation, and recognition that I have built up or come up with more creative ideas to let people know what all I do.....The solution was simply abreviating and slight change.....S.I. lawn and sprinkler maint. is what I now have on my business card.

IMO keep it simple without pinning yourself to particular services......things like Pro Outdoor Services (I don't know if this is actually a busineess or not) will work well, and
you can add things to you signs an cards if you would like........i.e. lawn mowing and fertizer application, Leaf clean-up and Snow removal...........you can change these things through-out the season without changing company name

Exact Rototilling
11-20-2007, 03:20 PM
snip . . . IMO keep it simple without pinning yourself to particular services......things like Pro Outdoor Services (I don't know if this is actually a busineess or not) will work well, and
you can add things to you signs an cards if you would like........i.e. lawn mowing and fertizer application, Leaf clean-up and Snow removal...........you can change these things through-out the season without changing company name

My wife suggested the same type of thing. "Pro Outdoor Services" is a catch all for all the above but it leaves a bit to be desired in identifying a specific service. Is it possible to file a dba and business under "Pro Outdoor Service" then print business cards, flyers and even newspaper ads with a catcher "Pro Lawn and Powerwash" "Pro Snow Plowing" and many other combinations?

Is there any advantage of filing multiple dba's to cover your bases for the business name but having your state business license under "Pro Outdoor Services" for maximum coverage?

11-21-2007, 11:58 AM
Bump to the top

11-22-2007, 12:00 AM
Wow not many voices on this one huh? Well I want to use Image in the name but am not stuck on it, and I dont want a name that is going to limit me down the road.

I am starting with offering mowing/aeration/fert, etc... Also offering snow plowing/blowing. I know that I am starting off with residential, but I want to move into commercial, industrial, and municipal services as soon as possible as I see more payup there. My plan is to be doing 50% large contracts such as interstate and county road ditch mowing and State/Federal park road maintence within 5 yrs, so I dont want a name that will look to residential either.

So these are some names I am thinking about.

Greener Image
Image Lawns
Image Greens
A Image Lawns
Image Ground Services
Lake and Prairie Lawns
Lake and Prairie Greens
Great Image
Better Image Lawn

I got the Lake and Prairie thing because I live right on the boarder of the Midwest Plains(ND/MN) and the Land of 10 Lakes(MN) The county I live in has more lakes then any county in the world (3500+) and the boardering county is flatlands.

If you like on of the ones above, or a combination, or something entirely different, LET ME KNOW PLEASE!

I need a good name that I can grow with!
Thanks

RonB
11-22-2007, 10:48 AM
Since what you listed as services provided would be mostly considered maintenance, and you want to use the word "image" - and you are in the lawn business maybe ..

Image Landscape Maintenance or Image Outdoor Maintenance or Image Property Maintenance .. maybe Image Property Management , Image Property Group ..

For short, ILM (Image Landscape Maint.)

mdvaden
11-22-2007, 12:59 PM
Personally, I like the short ones better, like - say - Greenscapes, etc..

Not the long chunky names like "Northwest Landscape Industries" or "Oregon Landscape Maintenance"

Be sure your name does not clash with local laws.

For example, in Oregon, if your name was "Pacific Northwest Landscaping" you would need a landscape contractors license, whereas if it ended with "maintenance", you would not.

I picked "M. D. Vaden" after noticing how easy "J. C. Penny" was to remember, as well as other abbreviated names on truck company trucks, etc..

Then I just write a descriptive phrase after my name like

M. D. Vaden "Tree and Landscapes"

I could also put

M. D. Vaden "Landscape Maintenance"

Because landscape maintenance is not my business name. Only "M. D. Vaden" is the registered part.

It seems that the name, or the name and description, should have at least one basic word to pinpoint the work.

What's the one company...is it "Rentokil" ??

Anyhow, the name barely conveys extermination. Unique, anyway.

11-22-2007, 09:40 PM
Since what you listed as services provided would be mostly considered maintenance, and you want to use the word "image" - and you are in the lawn business maybe ..

Image Landscape Maintenance or Image Outdoor Maintenance or Image Property Maintenance .. maybe Image Property Management , Image Property Group ..

For short, ILM (Image Landscape Maint.)

Ron,

Thanks for the good ideas. I like the 3 word setups you have there. I really like how I can make 3 letter like you suggust look on a business card.

.Property
..Management

Or Image Property Serices? Those are both good. Thanks for the ideas.
Anyone else?

Oh and Happy Turkey Day!

mdvaden
11-23-2007, 12:35 PM
Also, avoid names that may be connected to a group or process.

Sometimes you won't have control, but sometimes you do.

In the Portland area, we used to shop in a store called the "Gay Blade".

After homosexuals started to make thorough use of "gay" for themselves, the store eventually changed it's name.

The IPM name will be fine, as long as some method does not come along and replace it.

I was thinking about how compost tea was universally accepted, and is on a big decline now.

Odds are, that IPM would be a longer lasting idea. There might be a new name for it, but the concept seems irreplaceable.

11-25-2007, 12:51 AM
Thanks for the input M.D. Vaden :D

I have thought about it some over the weekend- the other day while at Home Depot I was looking at different contractor trucks/names/signage-- I realized I NEED a name like IPM instead of something with "lawn/grass..." because I am aiming more at a type of contractor business plan then a strictly mowwing service.

I will let you guys know which variation on "Ixx" I go with when the paperwork is complete.

-Steve

12-09-2007, 09:12 PM
Thanks for the responses guys. Just wanted to dig this up to let you guys know I went with:

Image Property Service LLC

I also registered a Trade Name of Steve's Plowing (owned by the LLC), because I had allready been dba Steve's Plowing.

I also applied for my Contractors license so I can place bids up to $50,000. And I got all my insurance squared away, so it was a good week.:weightlifter:

This winter I will be sending all my plowing customers info on the name change and telling them how the change is to better serve them year round, tell them about lawn service options, and offer some kind of a discount to the first 20 or so that sign up for lawn services, maybe a free aeration or something.