PDA

View Full Version : Box Trucks, 3 Man Crews... Extra doors = More $$$

privatelawn
11-20-2007, 09:13 PM
Im thinking of going with Box Trucks, I know there are 4 door trucks out there but they also cost alot more, ive seen decent box trucks for about $5k now do I have 3 guys sit in the front seat or spend the extra $$$ on 4 doors? At the moment I have a 4 door f150.

The average time spent per home is about 12 minutes and drive time to next home is 2 minutes so they do need to get in and out alot.

LLandscaping
11-20-2007, 10:41 PM
I have a Hino box truck and we have a three man crew. There is plenty of room for three men to ride comfortably.

kyfireman2004
11-20-2007, 11:39 PM
Put the mexican's in the box truck..........

Tadams
11-21-2007, 06:10 PM
I've had 4 guys in the front on my NPR! Nobody liked it and ther was a lot of moaning and groaning but you do what ya gotta do. Three people will fit fine in the front seat.

YardPro
11-22-2007, 08:25 AM
I've had 4 guys in the front on my NPR! Nobody liked it and ther was a lot of moaning and groaning but you do what ya gotta do. Three people will fit fine in the front seat.

that is not very smart...

first it's illegal.
second:
if they got in an accident they could sue your pants off. you made them ride in the front with more people than seat belts. Any lawyer would have a field day with that one.

BrandonV
11-22-2007, 09:49 AM
as with the "mexicans in the box" idea that i see a lot of landscapers doing. very unsafe, and i think irresponsible.

Az Gardener
11-22-2007, 10:39 AM
ive seen decent box trucks for about $5k
This is the part of the thread I question. I have not found anything I thought I could rely on for twice that.

Tadams
11-22-2007, 12:05 PM
that is not very smart...

first it's illegal.
second:
if they got in an accident they could sue your pants off. you made them ride in the front with more people than seat belts. Any lawyer would have a field day with that one.

I don't think any of those guys would sue me. It was my brother-in-law, father-in-law, and my dad! We were moving my sister-in-law. I didn't "make" any of them do anything. I guess I should have clarified that in the previous post.

Rons Rightway Lawncare
11-22-2007, 04:00 PM
If your in a neighborhood and only driving 2 minutes to the next stop, I don't see why they couldn't ride in the back of the truck.

When I had employees a few years ago, from stop to stop in a neighborhood, they just rode on the trailer, usually sitting on the mowers. They liked it cause it helped cool them off faster than riding inside a hot truck, I liked it cause it took less time to get from stop to stop and it helped keep the inside of my truick a little cleaner.

mslawn
12-08-2007, 09:20 AM
they just rode on the trailer, usually sitting on the mowers.

If you implement a scenairo like this, you will get a ticket if the police see you.

richard1103
01-08-2008, 04:25 PM
Put the Mexicans in the box truck.......... i went carl black gmc in Atalanta to pick up a new truck on the way out a Atlanta ther was a older npr landscape truck with 5 mexicans in it you can not over pack them

georgiagrass
01-15-2008, 11:57 PM
I agree that 3 can easily and somewhat comfortably ride in the front seat of the NPR.

Fordsuvparts
01-16-2008, 10:13 AM
My guys aways ride 3 or 4 in our npr, In out new MITS Fuso crew cab we easily put 6 guys with comforts like auto trans a/c and cd player. My employee's love the new truck and the new Job clock system.

ma5tr
01-16-2008, 11:43 AM
"put the mexiacans in the box"

what a dumbass comment. You should learn a little respect, everyone bleeds the same colour. Moron!

grass-scapes
01-16-2008, 12:58 PM
When I had employees a few years ago, from stop to stop in a neighborhood, they just rode on the trailer, usually sitting on the mowers. They liked it cause it helped cool them off faster than riding inside a hot truck, I liked it cause it took less time to get from stop to stop and it helped keep the inside of my truick a little cleaner.

Yet another Dummmy making people think the rest of us are no skilled idiots with push mowers.

Mimowerman
01-16-2008, 05:26 PM
If your in a neighborhood and only driving 2 minutes to the next stop, I don't see why they couldn't ride in the back of the truck.

This is what gives the rest of landscapers a bad name!!! Oh look at the scum lawn service with their shirts off , smoking , riding in the bed of a open truck driving down the street..... I would call the cops on you in a heart beat! Unprofessional at its best ! :clapping:

JB1
01-16-2008, 05:33 PM

where you got to be careful is them riding in the enclosed trailer, just have to make sure roof vents are open, as it can get kinda warm in there and make sure the inside trailer lights work.

jdmcat
01-16-2008, 11:39 PM

HAHA! there was a guy around here a couple years ago with two mexicans riding around in the back of the truck with the grass. funniest crap i've ever seen:laugh:

lyube
01-17-2008, 04:55 AM
At my old job we operated ex-ryder/uhaul 16' ford e350 cutaways exclusively. Teams of 2 or 3 could work fine, and their was enough room to pack all the equipment necessary.

Marek
01-17-2008, 07:39 AM
I have a friend who runs a 5 man crew with his NPR vanscaper , 3 in the front and 2 in the back, or usually it ends up being 4 in the back and the driver up front. The guys dont really care for the forman to much !

MarcSmith
01-17-2008, 08:26 AM
i have seen a aluminum body that fits behind the cab of a the two door models. which is rated for personel carrier duties, has doors and seatbelts. BUt its really only good for warm climates.

Rons Rightway Lawncare
01-18-2008, 12:00 AM
Yet another Dummmy making people think the rest of us are no skilled idiots with push mowers.

Bring your smart self down to Charlotte and I will show you a dummy. :nono:

grass-scapes
01-18-2008, 09:46 AM
Bring your smart self down to Charlotte and I will show you a dummy. :nono:

I rest my case.

Military Lawns
01-18-2008, 10:21 AM
as with the "mexicans in the box" idea that i see a lot of landscapers doing. very unsafe, and i think irresponsible.

Agreed! Why do people continue to make ignorant and irrational statements like that. I thought that when people ask questions they are looking for answers that make sense and not comments such as these.

Taking that route will get you sued and permanently put out of business. "Mexicans" are human beings and as such should be treated that way. :usflag:

DJ-

grass-scapes
01-18-2008, 10:23 AM
Agreed! Why do people continue to make ignorant and irrational statements like that. I thought that when people ask questions they are looking for answers that make sense and not comments such as these.

Taking that route will get you sued and permanently put out of business. "Mexicans" are human beings and as such should be treated that way. :usflag:

DJ-

Because a lot of people are "Ignorant and Irrational". But the best part is when you TELL them they are ignorant, they want to fight you....LOL.

Rons Rightway Lawncare
01-18-2008, 01:18 PM
How about I call you a dummy because I disagree with something you said. Is that professional or respectful to you as a human being? No. So watch what you say here to your so called fellow professionals.

And as for Mexican workers in the "back" I have seen several Isuzu trucks in Florida that had "Crew boxes " between the cab and the bed for 3-4 workers to ride in. It is not a big mystery that most of the workers in this industry these days are Mexicans, so get over it.

LawnBoy89
01-18-2008, 08:18 PM
Some people are willing to take risks to get the job done and I really don't see a problem with riding on the trailer to go around the corner. Some people just like breakin balls kinda like alot of customers that I dropped this year.

grass-scapes
01-18-2008, 08:27 PM
How about I call you a dummy because I disagree with something you said. Is that professional or respectful to you as a human being? No. So watch what you say here to your so called fellow professionals.

And as for Mexican workers in the "back" I have seen several Isuzu trucks in Florida that had "Crew boxes " between the cab and the bed for 3-4 workers to ride in. It is not a big mystery that most of the workers in this industry these days are Mexicans, so get over it.

It had nothing to do with disagreeing with you. You were or are endangering another life by letting someone ride on a trailer. a crew box is a completely different animal. And, by definition, you are a dummy if you do something as dumb as letting someone ride on a mower in a trailer, even if it is around the corner. All I was doing was calling a spade a spade.

So, if the shoe fits..........

srl28
01-18-2008, 08:46 PM
Its funny reading these posts and how everyone takes pride in their "professional" images and what not, nice truck, nice uniforms, good advertising and then you say you would go let your guys ride on the trailer. You have got to be kidding. Let alone the fact that it looks bad and all but it is down right stupid and dangerous to do.

wayside
01-18-2008, 09:54 PM

yo sup with this shitt you got a problem? they go by spanish worker's not mexicans get it right ... white trash! ******* hate ***** ass ppl on this site who talk shitt ... would love to see you say some crap like this to some one who is spanish and get your face push back...

Rons Rightway Lawncare
01-18-2008, 10:08 PM
I can't believe I am letting your comments get to me Grass scapes, but let me clarify for you and the rest of the guys what I did - I say did because I went solo to reduce headaches years ago and therefore have no employees to " danger " by riding them around on my trailer

I being a reasonably smart guy concentrated as much work as possible in a small area. Often I would have 5-10 or more accounts in one neighborhood. When I say neighborhood I am talking about a subdivision, neighborhoods with one or two entrances and street speed limits of 25 mph or less. Neighborhoods where moms would take the kids for walks in strollers, or elderly people would walk their dogs, or kids would ride their bikes and skateboard in the street... Not surface streets with traffic and 35-45-55 mph speed limits and all the hazards that come with that.

So I would go into a neighborhood and may have 10 stops in that neighborhood. Sometimes the yards would be close enough to each other to park in one spot and be close enough to do 2-3 or even 5 at a shot. But often there would be another yard 20 houses further down the same street, or on the next street over, etc....

So when we were out busting our butts to get them done and move on to the next stop we would often just have the guys hop onto the trailer while I or one of the other guys pulled up to the next stop. This saved time and like I said, on a hot day the guys prefered this as it was better than hopping into a hot truck while they were hot and sweaty, they could get a little breeze action going from the 30 second to 1 minute ride over to the next stop, a little relief if you will.

Now granted, they would have been safer in the truck in the seat and with their seatbelts on. Lord knows, if one of those moms lost control of their stroller, and it T boned my trailer, it could have been the end of the road for my guys.

And I guess if the people in the neighborhood were to have looked out their windows and saw us going up the street every week they would have thought... wow, look at those scummy lawnboys riding on the trailer. I probably ruined it for all the lawnservices in the greater Charlotte area with my riding on the trailer stunts.... Now were all scummy lawnboys cause the guys sat on the trailer to go around the corner to the next yard.

Of course if you ask me this is a bunch of hogwash... I don't think I endangered my guys, and I doubt anyone who saw us in the neighborhood thought anything of it. I back that up with the fact that I would be constantly asked by these neighbors for estimates for their yards too, the main reason I would end up with so many yards in one little neighborhood.

Now if you GrassScapes, or anyone else thinks I was dumb or stupid, then by all means, you guys go right ahead and get your whole crew buckled in the truck for the 30 second ride down to the next stop. I can agree to disagree, but don't make it personal by throwing insults at me. That to me is far more scummy and unprofessional.... And no I don't want to fight anyone, but I can say that unless you are a good bit bigger than me and I know I'd get my butt kicked, if you as a stranger came up to me and called me a dummy or showed me this kind of disrespect, you'd be choking on a few of your teeth. So grow up and get over it.

JB1
01-18-2008, 10:14 PM
an enclosed trailer is much safer, plus nobody can see them.

Tadams
01-18-2008, 10:31 PM
yo sup with this shitt you got a problem? they go by spanish worker's not mexicans get it right ... white trash! ******* hate ***** ass ppl on this site who talk shitt ... would love to see you say some crap like this to some one who is spanish and get your face push back...

Why is OK for you to call someone white trash but not OK for someone to call a mexican worker a mexican? I wouldn't mind if someone called me an american worker. I don't think that I have ever met anyone that was from Spain. But I know tons of people from Mexico. And you know what they call other people from Mexico? You guessed it- Mexicans! Come to think of it I don't know anyone that was from Africa, Sweden, Germany, Russia, or England. My ancestors were from Ireland but I don't consider myself Irish-American. I am american. I don't think anyone was being racist by any of this- well except maybe you!

Tadams
01-18-2008, 10:39 PM
Does anyone have local trash pick-up by their city? Well, we do here and do you know where those guys that actually pick the trash up ride at? You guessed it- on the back of the truck. Not sitting down but standing up and holding on to a bar! While we are on this subject let me ask you this- It is a STATE law that you have to wear a seatbelt when you are in a vehicle but none of the school buses have any seat belts in them! How can they get away with that?

Now don't get me wrong, I really could care less where anybody rides but I'm not gonna bash anybody for where they let their workers ride. If it works for them- good for them!

Rons Rightway Lawncare
01-18-2008, 11:07 PM
Thank you, sounds like were on the same page Tadams

Tadams
01-18-2008, 11:36 PM
You're welcome, Ron. I believe we are, also.

grass-scapes
01-19-2008, 12:15 AM
It is a law to wear a seatbelt if the vehicle provides one. A school bus does not.

Trying to explain it away does not take away from the fact that you endangered your workers lives, whether you did it on a highway or on a 25 mph street. you put your convienence before the safety of your workers. I called you a "dummy" because I was being polite. I could have called you an F-ing Idiot, which is probably closer to the truth, but I kept my mouth shut. Now, if you want to take offense to that, fine. If you would like to threaten me because you disagree with me, fine. It still doesn't take away from the fact that in doing what you did, you acted without regard to your employees, and that is what gives others in this profession a bad name. Who cares who did or didn't see you. Who cares who doesn't give a crap. What you did was totally irresponsible and careless. Some may agree, some may not. I don't particularly care. I STILL think you were a "dummy" to do it. If you don't like my opinion, I don't care. If you still want to make me "swallow a few of my teeth", well, Greensboro is only an hour and a half away from you.

Rons Rightway Lawncare
01-19-2008, 12:18 PM
Your not worth the time.... a newbie to the business that thinks he knows it all.... And I have yet to meet a single person from the Greensboro area I didn't think was a Ahole. So good for you Grass scapes, your a shining example of all that is good in this industry. Lets check back with ya in 12 or 13 years and see if you still got that " my $hit don't stink " attitude.

Rons Rightway Lawncare
01-19-2008, 12:23 PM
If you still want to make me "swallow a few of my teeth", well, Greensboro is only an hour and a half away from you.

My address is 10311 Silver Mine Rd, Fort Mill SC 29707, your welcome to come here, knock on my door and tell me I am a dummy or a idiot.

wayside
01-19-2008, 01:43 PM
Why is OK for you to call someone white trash but not OK for someone to call a mexican worker a mexican? I wouldn't mind if someone called me an american worker. I don't think that I have ever met anyone that was from Spain. But I know tons of people from Mexico. And you know what they call other people from Mexico? You guessed it- Mexicans! Come to think of it I don't know anyone that was from Africa, Sweden, Germany, Russia, or England. My ancestors were from Ireland but I don't consider myself Irish-American. I am american. I don't think anyone was being racist by any of this- well except maybe you!

Well for your info hommie.. i said white trash to see how other ppl felt about it & it dont flow well right? so when ppl come up with shitt about spanish ppl it's not right & also acting like there nothing but ppl who come over here to get paid nothing & treated like slaves... Most of the ppl on here think & always joke around like that & thats kinda racist dont you think? Im not mexican but i am portuguese and have alot of black white & spanish friends just dont think shitt is right how some ppl on this site speak ....

JB1
01-19-2008, 01:47 PM
Oh, all the keyboard tough guys, now this is some funny stuff. :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Tadams
01-19-2008, 02:16 PM
Im not mexican but i am portuguese

Well, I'm American and we live in America so my advice to you would be to go back to Portugal! It doesn't bother me at all to be called white trash, trailer trash, whitey, snowball, redneck, honky, or anything else like that. You can even call me an American- wouldn't bother me at all. Are you gonna get all bent out of shape if I call you Portuguese? Or should it Portugal-American? Should someone that is from Russia not be called a Russian? Or Mexico a Mexican? I do believe it was you and Grass-scapes that started with the insults on people by calling them "dummy and stupid". Am I correct in assuming this? I can justify why Ron would be upset at someone bashing him in such a way, wouldn't you be? What's that address again, Ron? I'll be there there to lend any assistance than you might need.

Tadams
01-19-2008, 02:20 PM
Oh, all the keyboard tough guys, now this is some funny stuff. :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

You're welcome, JB1. I am glad to know that someone other than myself finds this all very amusing. I just love kicking a beehive and watching.:laughing:

barefeetny
01-19-2008, 03:12 PM
The only possible thing i can add to this Discussion is this

In my prior life i spent 8 years working in casthouses, melthouses, refinerys and such.

Hot Brutal dangerous work.

in alot of cases i was the token white boy, or the token jew.
Alot of what people said to each other and abot each others cultures was seen as funny due to the fact that we were close and shared a common bond...

also most was for laughs, theres a diffrence in being malicous and being funny

I heard some good ones but the only thing i ever offended anyone with was calling them spanish

Unless they are from spain they are hispanic

i once angered a guy to the point of throwing fists for calling him a cuban
he was from brazil.

as far as riding on trailers, it may not be the safest thing, but threre is a list of things i see every day that are quazi unsafe

the ups driver riding with the door open, the rural mail delery driver driving on the oppisite shoulder, police not required to wear belts. jeeps with no doors.

riding on the trailer, thats on you... so is how you treat your help.

just my 02.
Nate

grass-scapes
01-19-2008, 04:02 PM
That was the point I was trying to make..Its unsafe and it is DUMB to do such a thing. Therefore, the dummy comment. IF he has such low self esteem that that comment infuriated him to the point of wanting to fight, well, he has much deeper issues that no one on this site can help him with. Maybe someone can recommend a psychiatric discussion board or something.

As far as the newbie comment....Whatever man. Ive been doing this since 2001 so if that still makes me a newbie, ok.

your comment about thinking everyone from greensboro is an a-hole or something like that just goes to show you have issues getting along with your fellow man. Its probably best you work solo now.

Steveslawncare
01-19-2008, 05:57 PM
Lol, One of my guys used to never get off the mower when we would move intra-neighborhood. He would sit there and make sure the seat did not get away, packing another dip in the 100 degree heat. Cutting grass is not the cleanest of operations, or, lets be honest, the most professional. We throw our trash in the beds and on the trailer, make illegal dumps of trimmings, and race our Z's. It was the beer money in high school. We grow out of most of it (usually, lol.) Most of us start out in high school, and we learn to become "professional." Moving violations and smoking are minor compared to other operators and employees, who bake out the pickup on the interstate to the truck stop, hop out, wead eat, and Z. With diminishing profits these days, sometimes we don't have the ability to care as would otherwise. I still have yet to go on surface streets with people out of the cab, however. My .02

Steve

Lawnworks
01-19-2008, 06:36 PM

Actually they go by mexicans. They are proud of who they are and their work ethic. The comment "put the mexicans in the box truck" was wrong though. Chances are the guy has never had a mexican employee. If he did he would probably have alot more respect for them. They are great people.

Rons Rightway Lawncare
01-19-2008, 07:45 PM
Lol, One of my guys used to never get off the mower when we would move intra-neighborhood. He would sit there and make sure the seat did not get away, packing another dip in the 100 degree heat. Cutting grass is not the cleanest of operations, or, lets be honest, the most professional. We throw our trash in the beds and on the trailer, make illegal dumps of trimmings, and race our Z's. It was the beer money in high school. We grow out of most of it (usually, lol.) Most of us start out in high school, and we learn to become "professional." Moving violations and smoking are minor compared to other operators and employees, who bake out the pickup on the interstate to the truck stop, hop out, wead eat, and Z. With diminishing profits these days, sometimes we don't have the ability to care as would otherwise. I still have yet to go on surface streets with people out of the cab, however. My .02

Steve

Steve, alot of time I would finish mowing before the guys would be done trimming and blowing so I would just head off to the next yard on the mower, and let the guys drive up in the truck to join me when they got done. I guess that too is scummy and unprofessional, but jeeze o pete... it is not like were doctors or something, we are the lawnservice!

It is funny how important this professional image thing is to some on this forum, yet it seems to be so common to hear people talk about how they would never drive a nice newer truck, that they trash their vehicles and how I see so many guys out there with mowers and trucks that look like they did duty in both world wars, yet these things we did were unprofessional....

Bottom line is most customers think we ARE scum no matter how fancy we look or carry ourselves. What is important to them is not how your employees arrrived at their lawn, or what kind of uniforms you were or fancy signs on your truck etc... What is important to them is someone who is reliable, who does a good job and who is fair on the pricing.

wayside
01-19-2008, 11:02 PM
Well, I'm American and we live in America so my advice to you would be to go back to Portugal! It doesn't bother me at all to be called white trash, trailer trash, whitey, snowball, redneck, honky, or anything else like that. You can even call me an American- wouldn't bother me at all. Are you gonna get all bent out of shape if I call you Portuguese? Or should it Portugal-American? Should someone that is from Russia not be called a Russian? Or Mexico a Mexican? I do believe it was you and Grass-scapes that started with the insults on people by calling them "dummy and stupid". Am I correct in assuming this? I can justify why Ron would be upset at someone bashing him in such a way, wouldn't you be? What's that address again, Ron? I'll be there there to lend any assistance than you might need.

It's nice to see your american i was born here also and your point is? did you not still get what im talking about i guess not your kinda slow.... I did say some ppl on this site dont have respect for the " let me put it in the right term hispanic " Just alot of guys on here dont have hispanic worker's nor know how hard it is for them so some ppl should think before they joke around THATS WHAT IM SAYING!!! i bet half of everyone on here dont know what a real struggle is ......

also as for the dude who said it's funnie to read & see the internet thugin rightt i cant speek for anyone else but ill let you know i dont e thug so enough said....

wayside
01-19-2008, 11:03 PM
Actually they go by mexicans. They are proud of who they are and their work ethic. The comment "put the mexicans in the box truck" was wrong though. Chances are the guy has never had a mexican employee. If he did he would probably have alot more respect for them. They are great people.

truee.....

wayside
01-19-2008, 11:07 PM
Im thinking of going with Box Trucks, I know there are 4 door trucks out there but they also cost alot more, ive seen decent box trucks for about $5k now do I have 3 guys sit in the front seat or spend the extra $$$ on 4 doors? At the moment I have a 4 door f150.

The average time spent per home is about 12 minutes and drive time to next home is 2 minutes so they do need to get in and out alot.

now back to why this thread was made....

If you have the extra cash go with the 4door truck it will work out better in the long run and its much safer for your woker's and who knows if your company grows you might need the extra space....