PDA

View Full Version : Should i rake leaves?

mwells7
11-20-2007, 09:09 PM
im new to this whole landscaping thing and i was wondering if i should rake leaves this fall to keep my cash flow flowing. Do you think its a good idea. how much should i charge.

lawnpro724
11-20-2007, 11:10 PM
Rake? Who rakes leaves these day's unless its raking them onto the tarp. Buy a good commercial backpack blower like Echo's PB755 or Stihl, Red Max you'll save a lot of time.

DuraCutter
11-20-2007, 11:25 PM
im new to this whole landscaping thing and i was wondering if i should rake leaves this fall to keep my cash flow flowing. Do you think its a good idea. how much should i charge.

Try the search feature. It really does work and all the answers to questions you haven't even thought of will show up in posts.

Good luck

:)

topsites
11-21-2007, 05:31 PM
Well if manual labor is your thing you'd be way better off cleaning gutters, that's probably one of the few things I can see being semi profitable without power tools. Run ya 2-300 for the ladder thou, then again you might have one.

As for raking leaves for cash fuggedaboutit, better off get a job at Walmart.

Cheapscapes
11-21-2007, 05:57 PM
here in Ny we had snow..rain...all on top of the few leaves that fell...sheesh..its a mess..i couldnt even picture raking the yards i still have to do...but when they get wet the only choice is to rake-em onto a tarp..dragging them to where they gotta go..i hate the fall.....

Allens LawnCare
11-22-2007, 10:58 PM
"what's A Rake"

Turf Commando
11-22-2007, 11:06 PM
"what's A Rake"
It's has a wooden handle connected ''O'' never mind lol...

Turf Commando
11-22-2007, 11:07 PM
im new to this whole landscaping thing

You can say that again...

Rick.ULS
11-22-2007, 11:16 PM
Hi There,
Get A Walker Mower And Rarely If Ever Touch A Hand Rake. As Far As Money, In My Opinion(with 14 Years Behind It)not Under $40.00 Per Man-hour. Good Luck!

landscaper22
11-22-2007, 11:21 PM
Well a Walker would be nice, but if you can't afford one now, you should atleast get a good powerful backpack blower. It will make a leaf cleanup job much easier and faster than raking.

Rhett
11-24-2007, 10:32 AM
If all you have is a rake, by all means. Save a portion of the proceeds for equipment for next year. You cannot make money laying on the couch. At least I can't.

NHLM
11-25-2007, 10:28 AM
If all you have is a rake, by all means. Save a portion of the proceeds for equipment for next year. You cannot make money laying on the couch. At least I can't.

I TOTTALLY agree. If you cant buy the blower then buy a few rakes (incase one breaks on the job ) and go to town.

Marcos
11-28-2007, 11:43 AM
:laugh:
Be like me and let your mower be your shredder!

Just take your new blower and disperse the leaves around the yard evenly.
Then with the new 'gator blade(s)' installed on your mower, you can then do two things at once; shred the leaves, all the while bringing the grass height down to the winter level.

Some people block off the discharge chute too to increase the 'mulching effect'. I don't have to do this. Maybe you will. Depends on your mower type.

Honestly, when you're through they're won't be much brown leaf material left to look at at all.
(unless you have certain trees, like some oaks, whose leaves are tough to chop up!

And it's no doubt a more environmentally responsible way to take care of the leaves, saving some space on the curb.

....and you're adding some organic matter to break down later to feed the turf.

Bedell Property Mgmt.
11-28-2007, 12:37 PM
if you are just out there with a rake you look like a trunk slammer... at least around here.

loom-gen
11-28-2007, 08:44 PM
Raking... You'll need a tarp... I do curbside pickup for fourty percent. Don't leave bags; thats tacky.

daveintoledo
12-01-2007, 12:27 AM
sorry but this is the truth.... go get a job some where.. you will make more money, and if that is the extent of your creative thinking.....well...........]]

your not very creative... you will never be able to compete with the children......raking a yard all day long for 25 bucks....

Soupy
12-01-2007, 12:55 AM
sorry but this is the truth.... go get a job some where.. you will make more money, and if that is the extent of your creative thinking.....well...........]]

your not very creative... you will never be able to compete with the children......raking a yard all day long for 25 bucks....

I agree.... It's not rocket science, but it takes some brains to be in this business.
These questions are getting ridiculous. Is this the future of our industry :hammerhead: Hope not!!!!!!

patphish
12-01-2007, 02:46 PM
i don't know how to start a rake

corey4671
12-01-2007, 06:43 PM
"what's A Rake"

I can remember as a little guy listening to my grandpa talking about these things called rakes. SAw one once in a museum...

Jay Ray
12-01-2007, 06:57 PM
I carry a rake on the trailer at all times. After the trailer is all loaded up it is useful sometimes for small spots i might have missed.

I did it as a kid and raking for hours and hours is drudgery.

Uranus
12-01-2007, 07:01 PM
You have no clue how much money I have wasted so I dont have to touch a rake.

Now if only there was a way to get the leaf pile into the tube of the leaf loader.