PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Mileage

Green Acres
11-20-2007, 10:52 PM
I was thinking of a f-650 dump truck with the cat motor. Not sure what year yet but was wondering if anyone had one and what type of fuel mileage they where getting? Thanks

Looking Good Lawn Service
11-21-2007, 07:36 PM
Those Cat engines in the Fords are the 3126E models, they get about 8 miles to the gallon, it depends how you drive the truck and how much weight, I didnt have a Ford F650, but I have run Kenworths and freightliners and petes with the same engine. They all did about the same. If you want the best mileage you need to gear fast and run slow principle. Get a 10 liter engine and autoshift , not automatic, autoshift trans, so you have more gears, and set up the rear end ratio to get no less than 1400 rpm at 65mph. I recommend a Freightliner FL112 size truck with the Cat C11 or C13 or a Detroit diesel Series 60, or cummins ISM. Go used at ryder or arrow truck sales there are better deals, new prices are insane, you could get a nice used class 8 single axle for the same as a new F650. thats from my experience the best way to get better mpg's.

SiteSolutions
11-21-2007, 11:31 PM
What's a class 8 single axle?

BrandonV
11-22-2007, 08:47 AM
he's probably wanting a sub cdl truck for employees. i have a cat powered C7500, cummins f750 and a cummins powered fl60 when you ask about fuel milage you need to tell what your doing with it. my fl gets horrible milage all the time because it's long (for mulch) and only has a 5speed. the ford has a 12' dirt box and auto tranny therefore gets in that 7-8 range usually the c7500 has an eaton fuller 10speed and is used mostly for hauling a 30' trailer but also has a flat deck, unloaded w/o trailer it'll get 12highway loaded you're in that 8mpg range.