PDA

View Full Version : What is it, and do I need it?

MJLsLawnCareNmoreLLC
11-22-2007, 12:27 AM
Like the title says, what is it and do I need it? It's off a '98 Ford F150 XLT V6 2wd, 5 speed. It was on the single exhaust pipe just behind where the two cats merge about 1' back. It was welded to the clamp which was around the joint where two exhaust pipes interlocked. Basically it rusted, broke, and rattled like he!!. So I took it off for the time being. Going to weld the 2 pieces (joint) back together rather than use an exhaust clamp. Needed to know if I should attach this back on the pipe though?

MJLsLawnCareNmoreLLC
11-24-2007, 06:10 PM
Bump* 118 views and nobody has any insight on what this thing is?

lawnspecialties
11-24-2007, 07:54 PM
Go to www.ford-trucks.com and post the exact same thing in their forums. I guarantee you, you'll have an answer by morning at the latest.:)

MJLsLawnCareNmoreLLC
11-25-2007, 12:49 AM
Go to www.ford-trucks.com and post the exact same thing in their forums. I guarantee you, you'll have an answer by morning at the latest.:)

Thanks Lawnspecialties, I'll give that a try.:waving:

FearThisDeere
11-25-2007, 12:51 AM
That is the best Ford forum in the world. Tons of knowledge over there.

lawnspecialties
11-26-2007, 08:05 PM
I'm just curious if you found out and what it is?

ken gustafson
11-26-2007, 09:49 PM
I believe it is a counter weight balance for the exhaust system. Not sure if you need it but if the manufacture put it on....it must be for a reason. Ken

MJLsLawnCareNmoreLLC
11-27-2007, 01:22 AM

Honestly I haven't had time to post anything in the forum you suggested. Been super busy lately trying to get work finished up for the year and get the new snow removal service for my business going.

I think Ken has the right idea, that was kinda what I was thinking but wasn't sure. The only other thing I can think of is it might serve as a shock absorber for the exhaust system. I already welded a new bracket onto it, sand blasted the whole thing, and painted it :rolleyes: cause I figured it must have been there for a reason. While doing this I discovered it has sand inside it. Not just a little bit, but the whole round piece is filled with sand. That's why I think it may also serve as a shock absorber to absorb the resonating vibration that the entire exhaust system experiences from the motor/driving/etc.

mojob
11-27-2007, 09:36 AM
Muffler bearing. Definitely a muffler bearing.

AbsoluteH&L
11-27-2007, 11:43 AM
Muffler bearing. Definitely a muffler bearing.

Don't forget to check the headlight fluid too!! LOL:laugh:
I believe it is an anti vibration counter weight. Ford seems a little nutty with counter weights and vibration issues. At certain RPMs the exhaust likely had a bad vibration. One engineer designs a light sturdy truck, then another adds a crap load of dead weight to it.

MJLsLawnCareNmoreLLC
11-28-2007, 06:25 PM

Here is the exact reply I got that answered my question "It is a vibration damper. You don't need it, it just makes things a bit smoother."

AbsoluteH&L
11-29-2007, 07:40 AM
Don't forget to check the headlight fluid too!! LOL:laugh:
I believe it is an anti vibration counter weight. Ford seems a little nutty with counter weights and vibration issues. At certain RPMs the exhaust likely had a bad vibration. One engineer designs a light sturdy truck, then another adds a crap load of dead weight to it.

Here is the exact reply I got that answered my question "It is a vibration damper. You don't need it, it just makes things a bit smoother."

YES!!!
I have seen these stupid weights hanging off of transfer cases too, but to me that makes a little more sense.

MarcSmith
11-29-2007, 07:47 AM
I had one on my 94 chevy impala it weighs about 5 #'s all is it a vibration damper........for the exhaust system

93Chevy
11-29-2007, 08:47 AM
I need one on my truck. The exhaust rattles more than a scared rattle snake.

MJLsLawnCareNmoreLLC
11-29-2007, 10:36 PM
Thanks, for all the replies to my thread everybody. Hopefully this will come in handy for anyone who ever comes across this issue with one of their trucks.

lawnspecialties
11-30-2007, 07:40 AM
Thanks for following up with us.:)

MJLsLawnCareNmoreLLC
11-30-2007, 01:10 PM
Thanks for following up with us.:)

Not a problem:waving: