PDA

View Full Version : New in the business

rjgolfer
11-22-2007, 10:27 AM
I am getting into the mowing business and would love any ideas on the type of equipment I might need. I plan on starting small and doing only residential for now. Mostly small medium sized yards. Cut Trim and BLow. I have new Tundra to pull a trailer with.
Thanks
RJ

backtobasicslawncare
11-22-2007, 07:53 PM
well i started small with a 21" mower and blower and weedeater. just start small and buildup.

Big Bad Bob
11-23-2007, 12:16 AM
I am getting into the mowing business and would love any ideas on the type of equipment I might need. I plan on starting small and doing only residential for now. Mostly small medium sized yards. Cut Trim and BLow. I have new Tundra to pull a trailer with.
Thanks
RJ

Run!! Get away from this biz as fast as you can. You can't make a living at it. I've gone as high as $25.00 per acre and still can't get ahead. Run to the nearest Mac Donalds or Wal Mart!

:hammerhead:
:confused:
:dizzy:
:headphones:
payup
:drinkup:

SNAPPER MAN
11-23-2007, 08:46 AM
Save your money and dont get a trailer. Get a good 21" commercial mower like a toro proline or snapper hi-vac (I have two snapper hi-vacs with honda engines and love them) then for a weedeater the echo SRM-210 is a decent one for $199 (one i started out with and its still runnin good). And as far as a blower goes a decent backpack from echo is the PB-413 for $299 (Also started out with). This is all good equipment for starters and the commercial 21 will last for many many years. If you have any questions feel free to send me a PM. Good luck in the business.

rjgolfer
11-23-2007, 09:29 AM
I am hoping to get the mid range and possibly some upper range residential accounts and thought considering buy the Wright 32" Stander....?? My son has one and loves it. I know it's a pretty sizable investment ($5,000+) but seems like it might pay for it's self within a season?
I see a LOT of Wright Stander's in the Kansas City area....not sure if you have an opinion on them????
Thanks for your advice!
RJ

supercuts
11-23-2007, 10:00 AM
the advice ive seen for you is scary. it sounds like these are the guys happily making $20/hr, which is very low to make a living running a business. if you plan on doing this long term, buy a good quality machine that work efficiently. a 32" is small IMO, but if you feel thats what you need, you know you situation better than us. to use a 21" is time consuming. at the end of a 100+ degree day you'll be ready to quit. think ahead buy smart, plan on growing and working fast. ive heard really good things about the stander from friends who have them. good luck. i preffer ZTR's, but its a matter of oppion and situation

rjgolfer
11-23-2007, 11:36 AM
I tend to agree with you. I know I want to grow the business as fast as I can but also want to "balance" the investment I make in equipment. I am fortunate to have the financial resources to buy good equipment but don't want to go over the top until I get into the mowing buisness and feel I can make a decent living at it. I want to project a professional image so I think having good equipment is part of the equation....I just bought a new Tundra so I am off to a good start but still need the mower, trailer......
BTW any advice what I should look for in a trailer.....?
THANKS!!!

shane mapes
11-23-2007, 11:50 AM
if you can afford to then get the biggest trailer you can afford... the trailer you buy will determine the size mowers you can put on board.. here where i'm at 21 or 26 in is fine.. all small lawns. maybe you need bigger..if your not sure if your going to stay in bus.. get what you can use around your place if it doesn't work out....what i did is start out with basic set up and then added as i grew and could afford...

SNAPPER MAN
11-23-2007, 04:45 PM
Im just saying that i started out with a 21" and it worked for me but now i have a 32" cubcadet commerical walkbehind and i dont know how i lived without it. Next year im looking to get a 48" or 54" ztr. The type of mower you need depends on the size of yards you are targeting.

Pumper14
11-23-2007, 05:18 PM
hey rj,

I was kinda in the same boat as you. Starting out 2yrs. ago, and being in the KC area. I bought a 36" wright stander, a 21" self-propelled push mower and a used trailer (5x12). I'm with Daricek, get some quality equipment before you roll out the door.

jiggz
11-23-2007, 06:24 PM
first off get a cheep push mower, something light and powerfull ((6hp or above)) WITHOUT self propel!!.. if you need it on a 21' your either a wuss or using the wrong mower.. I like the Murry Selects they can be had for like 200 bucks.. aot of people will prolly disagree with me, but they dont know what there talking about,lol.. just replace the chepo plastic wheels with some metal rims from homedepot and you got a pretty tuff mower for around 220$, that mulches and cuts great!! its got a briggs motor so you know ya good there.. I just dont see the need to drop 700 for a commercial lawnboy, toro, snapper 21 inch.. when you can buy 3 murrys for the same price..I will say this though my lawnboy bag empties easier, heh

now as far as a walkbehind i like the 32inch bobcat geardrives.. there great for around 2700.. Everybody tells me ""there too small"" this is far from the truth!! for the advrage lawn a 32 will cut within seconds of a 48 or 60 inch walkbehind... PLUS it will fit threw almost all 36"gates..if your going to be doing mostly residential remeber that..i have ALOT of 30-35 dollar lawns.. that are gated and I would normally have to turn down if i was using a 21' or 36' plus..

youll need a good handheld blower.. i got some sthils that work great!! you dont really dont need a backpack unless youll be cleaning major leaf projects..
rarely do i use mine..

Trimmers.. i LOVE Kawasaki, lightest most balanced line trimmer around but there kind of hard to come buy.. think Lesco still sells them..
redmax and shindawa would be my next choices

SNAPPER MAN
11-23-2007, 07:03 PM
A cubcadet commercial 32" is $2199

Lawnut101
11-23-2007, 08:10 PM
Here's a few questions for you, that will help determine what you need.

1. What size lawns will you be most likely mowing?(I mean, what are the average sizes of residential lawns in your area? if they are a 1/4 acre or less, I think that a 32 or 36" Wright Stander would suit you well. But for a guy like me, most lawns that I would mow would be over a 1/4 acre, therefore, I own a 48" walkbehind, and it works out good for me. I can use it on most of my lawns.

2. How much do you have to spend?
3. What dealers are in your area?

Now as far as trimmers and blowers. I wouldn't go out and spend $300 on a backpack blower, a handheld one will be more than enough for starting up. If it goes well, you can always get a bigger one for fall cleanups. I would buy a Stihl BR55 handheld, I've had mine for a long time, and it's just now starting to show signs of wear. And it only cost $140 bucks! At that price, you can afford a new one each year. Now about trimmers, I started out with 2 no name trimmers, and the one annoyed me, and the other's recoil kept breaking, so I finally decided to buy a new one. I bought an Echo SRM-210, and they are well worth the price of $200. They have a 5 year warranty. But I'll be glad if mine lasts 1-2 years under heavy use. As my company keeps growing, so will the workload on the trimmers. Anyway, sorry to ramble on, but I think that this will help you out.

Brant

echeandia
11-23-2007, 11:49 PM
I own a 48" WB and sometimes wish I had a 36" WB instead. There are two reasons for this. First, I have a few customers where I cannot get my 48" through their gate and have to use a 21" mower. The other reason is when I think about eventually buying a ZTR. It will most likely be a 60". Having both a 60" and a 48" mower doesn't seem optimal where a 36" and 60" does. Something you should think about.

rjgolfer
11-24-2007, 09:33 AM
Thanks for your advice! I plan on getting some good equipment....just not sure what I should be looking for in a trailer....your 5 by 12 seems like a good size for me to start with. Where did you buy your trailer?

Also....any advice on getting new customers with me being a new business. Was thinking of doing a post card mailing late Feb or early march.....I am naming my company Tee Time Lawn Care....and hope to get a logo and business cards within the next week or so.

Would appreciate any advice!
Thanks
RJ

rjgolfer
11-24-2007, 09:40 AM
first off get a cheep push mower, something light and powerfull ((6hp or above)) WITHOUT self propel!!.. if you need it on a 21' your either a wuss or using the wrong mower.. I like the Murry Selects they can be had for like 200 bucks.. aot of people will prolly disagree with me, but they dont know what there talking about,lol.. just replace the chepo plastic wheels with some metal rims from homedepot and you got a pretty tuff mower for around 220$, that mulches and cuts great!! its got a briggs motor so you know ya good there.. I just dont see the need to drop 700 for a commercial lawnboy, toro, snapper 21 inch.. when you can buy 3 murrys for the same price..I will say this though my lawnboy bag empties easier, heh

now as far as a walkbehind i like the 32inch bobcat geardrives.. there great for around 2700.. Everybody tells me ""there too small"" this is far from the truth!! for the advrage lawn a 32 will cut within seconds of a 48 or 60 inch walkbehind... PLUS it will fit threw almost all 36"gates..if your going to be doing mostly residential remeber that..i have ALOT of 30-35 dollar lawns.. that are gated and I would normally have to turn down if i was using a 21' or 36' plus..

youll need a good handheld blower.. i got some sthils that work great!! you dont really dont need a backpack unless youll be cleaning major leaf projects..
rarely do i use mine..

Trimmers.. i LOVE Kawasaki, lightest most balanced line trimmer around but there kind of hard to come buy.. think Lesco still sells them..
redmax and shindawa would be my next choices

Thanks for all the good info. I see ALOT of Wright Stander's here in Kansas City and my son has one and loves it....so I am leaning that way...and a 32" would get me through most any gate....could always upgrade later as I grow the business.
Will see if I can find a Kawasaki timmer....

rjgolfer
11-24-2007, 09:50 AM
Here's a few questions for you, that will help determine what you need.

1. What size lawns will you be most likely mowing?(I mean, what are the average sizes of residential lawns in your area? if they are a 1/4 acre or less, I think that a 32 or 36" Wright Stander would suit you well. But for a guy like me, most lawns that I would mow would be over a 1/4 acre, therefore, I own a 48" walkbehind, and it works out good for me. I can use it on most of my lawns.

2. How much do you have to spend?
3. What dealers are in your area?

Now as far as trimmers and blowers. I wouldn't go out and spend $300 on a backpack blower, a handheld one will be more than enough for starting up. If it goes well, you can always get a bigger one for fall cleanups. I would buy a Stihl BR55 handheld, I've had mine for a long time, and it's just now starting to show signs of wear. And it only cost $140 bucks! At that price, you can afford a new one each year. Now about trimmers, I started out with 2 no name trimmers, and the one annoyed me, and the other's recoil kept breaking, so I finally decided to buy a new one. I bought an Echo SRM-210, and they are well worth the price of $200. They have a 5 year warranty. But I'll be glad if mine lasts 1-2 years under heavy use. As my company keeps growing, so will the workload on the trimmers. Anyway, sorry to ramble on, but I think that this will help you out.

Brant

Brant....thanks for the info on equipment....I plan on targeting only residential to get started with...probably the vanilla yard..less than 1/4 acre. So I think the 32" Stander will work fine for now.
I am fortunate to have adequate financial resources to buy equipment. Don't want to go cheap for sure...but not OVER board as I am just getting into the business. Just want good quality commercial equipment.

The Dealer's I will visit in Kansas City are Arnold's Lawn and Garden and Blue Valley Tractor and Supply. KNow them???

Thanks for the advice.....and always open to advice on getting new customers!

Take care
RJ