PDA

View Full Version : Running a truck on Veggie oil?

handyandy
11-22-2007, 03:27 PM
Has anyone done it? I have been in business for 3 years now, and every season it seems more and more people demand a business that is green. I don't mind either. I agree that working with nature is much better than working against her. I think over the next several years, people are going to demand more and more a landscape company who is green.
So has anyone run a truck on veggie oil here? If so, was it easy to build relationships to get the oil? Did you have to pay for it? How big of a mess is the filtering process? Any other details I should know? Would love to get some input! Thanks in advance.

CPOonfinal
11-22-2007, 05:51 PM
Are you aware of the price for unused vegetable oil? It's considerably more than fuel. Doesn't burn very well on it's own either.

You can get spent/used cooking oil and "refine" it into biodiesel but it's about a 2k-3k investment in the right equipment.

handyandy
11-22-2007, 06:29 PM
Hey, yeah I am aware of the unused price. But I am looking at setting up relationships with local restraunts, I've talked to a few and had a good response so far. $2,000-3,000 for refinement isnt bad. The price of gas and diesel will most likely keep rising with its current trend. Its not going down. And plus, using veggie oil would be another selling point to customers I believe. Anyway, any ideas would be great. Thanks much!

LLandscaping
11-22-2007, 07:02 PM
I talked to a man that owns a restaurant and he runs a mix 50% veg. oil and 50% diesel in his two Duramax's with no problems. One of his trucks has been on this mix for 90,000miles pulling an 24ft enclosed trailer with no problems. I actually went to his restaurant and look at his system is it simple and he had under $1000 invested. He had a plastic cube holding tank and then he filters (used oil) it thru three filters: 15 micron, 5 micron, and a water separator. Then he fills up his truck half way with the oil and the other half diesel. He said he found a book on the Internet with directions.

Snyderserv5060
11-23-2007, 01:22 AM
There are a bunch of companies who make the setup to make veggie diesel. Some are expensive but ive seen a bunch for around $1000. Id like to get into it myself...thinking with all the local restaurants who probably pay money to dispose their used cooking oil im sure I could get it off them for free.

There are many positives about using it, not just the environment, the costs are lower if you can get it for cheap or free and its actually better for the injectors the regular diesel.

Pastaboy62
11-23-2007, 07:54 AM
Rudolf Diesel created the Diesel engine to run off of peanut oil. He put the engine on display at the New York state fair back in the early 1900's....He was never seen from again......

Az Gardener
11-23-2007, 10:46 AM
I was trolling through some old threads last night and came up with this.
Sorry link didn't post so here is the address http://www.dieselsecret.com/