PDA

View Full Version : Spider Lifts

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
11-23-2007, 11:58 AM
I have found information on two different types of track drive personnel lifts.

The Teupen Spider Lift (Specifically the Leo 12G)
http://www.spiderlifts.com/12g/index.html

And the Niftylift (Specifically the TD34TN)
http://www.niftylift.com/pdf/Track%20Drive%20US%20IS-03.pdf

Has anyone used one of these?

Does anyone know of a company or person who owns one of these?

I would like to speak with people who have direct experience with this equipment.

Thanks and have a great day.

Pro-Scapes
11-23-2007, 12:12 PM
Eden is the only one i have seen mention use of one so far. I have not seen him around much so maybe email him ? Some of us are stuck with good ol fashioned ladders or gaffs

NightScenes
11-23-2007, 12:13 PM
These are pretty impressive but would they be cost effective? Where would you be needing a piece of equipment like this? Could that job be done with ladders or scaffold? Would you save enough time with this equipment to pay for it within a reasonable amount of time?

I'm sure you have already thought of these questions and have answers but I would like to hear them for my use. Maybe it would be worth the investment.

Thanks James,

The Lighting Geek
11-23-2007, 01:01 PM
I would get one in a second. I can see where you can safely work where it is difficult to get other means of access. I do alot work on overhangs/decks, second story eaves. This would make things more efficient. Can't be any worse than a small car payment...LOL

When I would rent a concrete cutter, I grooved less, when I bough the concrete cutter I use it all the time. Now I can't imagine not having one.

The Lighting Geek
11-23-2007, 01:08 PM
Curse you James! [Tommy shakes his fist at James] Now there is another gadget I must consider! LOL!

P.S. My fiance's just rolled her eyes when she saw this....'Geeks and gadgets,' she says.

Pro-Scapes
11-23-2007, 01:31 PM
I think Tommy hit it dead on... If you had it you would use it more. Kinda like "beam me up scotty" for tree and other high mounted fixtures. I probably would of done 2 jobs differently if I had one of these.

NightScenes
11-23-2007, 02:02 PM
I understand that if you have it, you'll use it but the question is, would it pay for itself? Is it worth the investment? How long would it take to pay for it? How many jobs would actually "need" this equipment and therefore make it a valuable piece of equipment.

When making a large purchase of this nature, it is very important that the equipment makes money. Would this equipment generate enough business to pay for itself in a reasonable amount of time? What about the insurance for this equipment also?

I'm just throwing some things out there so I can see if I would actually make this kind of purchase.

Pro-Scapes
11-23-2007, 02:12 PM
I would have to say if you had enough business coming in where you could upsell designs to include advanced placments it would be a very valuble piece of equipment. It would help you take your designs to a whole new level making it nearly invaluble. This is considering you have the cashflow in your business to justify the purchase.

I think it would really be unjustified if your projects are like ours and only a few tree lights per job. By the time we loaded it... took it onsite... unloaded and manuvered to the needed area we could of carried our ladders in and been done already. There is areas like 30ft colonial collums and such where this piece of equipment would be perfect.

Mike M
11-23-2007, 02:50 PM
Can't you rent this stuff? I can't even afford a new ladder.

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
11-23-2007, 06:14 PM
Turning into a good thread of messages guys, thanks for all the input.

We do a LOT of tree mounted downlighting here. By a lot I mean around 500 new fixtures in trees in any given year. We also do a lot of building mounted fixtures, generally at the top of gables, second and third story heights. Then there are the large service jobs... I figure I have around 4000 lights in trees now. All of this equates to a lot of trips up and down the 32' extension ladder. ( I wear one out every year. )

I am 40 now and my installer is 42. I have suffered two big falls off the ladders in the past 10 years and I have no intention of ever having another fall. They are truly horrendous accidents that hurt and take away your confidence for some time after.

So, the case for owning one of these in my business is pretty strong all around. The Teupen Leo 12G is around $51k plus about $6 to $10K for the trailer/float that would be required to move it around. From a safety standpoint alone I think the cost is justifiable. (Heck my disability insurance runs $2k per year just for me)

From a speed and efficiency standpoint, I think the ladders would still be a faster method, but then again, I have seen my installer take some serious time up a tree when he wasnt feeling 100% secure. The largest time component with one of these units is probably the setup on site. Certainly these units would be faster then scaffolding on a structure installation.

All in all I think the unit is justifiable here, and it may even turn out to be profitable. Now I want to test drive one in person before I commit.

Have a great day.

NightScenes
11-23-2007, 06:30 PM
I think I may rent one a couple of times to see what kind of time it takes up and how moble it is. That would help to determine what it's value would be for the company.

Az Gardener
11-23-2007, 06:59 PM
I have rented and used these type of lifts before for Palm trimming and Christmas decorations. Whatever the cost for auto leveling it is worth the price. If it is not self propelled it will take minimum 2 big guys to push around on level ground. I would not even consider trying to push these up a slight hill. The ones I have used have not been self propelled but the wheels did adjust in and out to fit through gates. I think the smallest would be about 5' wide. They are tall too about 6'-6" even completely down for transport so beware of low hanging branches. Home Depot rents them here for about 225 per day. 1-K per week. If they save one serious fall they are worth the cost IMHO.

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
11-23-2007, 07:04 PM
I am exploring the rental option for sure, but I live and work in a pretty small marketplace. So far I have not been able to find even one rental outlet as far away as Toronto that has one of these in stock.

I am now trying to get my local rental company to invest in one of these units, but the demand locally is probably limited to just me.

At $1k rental per week, I would have paid for the whole unit in a matter of about 2 years I would think... this is another reason to invest in its purchase.

Have a great day.

Az Gardener
11-23-2007, 07:39 PM
I asked about buying one that I rented and as I recall they would have sold it for about 25-k but it was not self propelled or auto leveling. I think was about 05 and the unit was about a year old..

The Lighting Geek
11-23-2007, 07:42 PM
I would think that non self propelled unit would defeat the reason for having one. That is kinda like pulling the motor out of your truck and cutting a hole in the floorboards..LOL

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
11-23-2007, 07:44 PM
I asked about buying one that I rented and as I recall they would have sold it for about 25-k but it was not self propelled or auto leveling. I think was about 05 and the unit was about a year old..

With the properties we work on here, a self propelled, track drive, auto leveling unit is the only one I would consider. A trailer style just wouldnt be effective.

Anyone want to buy somes stock in a privately held corporation? :) I need to raise about $65k in capital.

NightScenes
11-23-2007, 08:37 PM
Good luck with that James.

Lite4
11-23-2007, 09:05 PM
Being a one man op these would be great for chasing wire in gutters on a 3rd story house. I fly helicopters, but when it comes to ladders I hate heights. I have had a few spills myself. When I get up high the old legs get a little jittery. We have a ton of rental yards in our area. I will have to try one of these out.

maintenanceguy
11-23-2007, 09:52 PM
We've got a man lift in a pickup bed that we use quite a bit. If you want mobile and easy to transport, a unit that needs to be towed around seems like more work than it needs to be.

I haven't priced these things but I would think you could get a truck mounted lift in a nice used truck without spending much more, maybe even for less.

Ours is a 28' bucket and the truck doesn't need outriggers. There's a huge torsion bar installed between the back wheels to keep the truck level and it works great.

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
11-23-2007, 11:57 PM
We've got a man lift in a pickup bed that we use quite a bit. If you want mobile and easy to transport, a unit that needs to be towed around seems like more work than it needs to be.

I haven't priced these things but I would think you could get a truck mounted lift in a nice used truck without spending much more, maybe even for less.

Ours is a 28' bucket and the truck doesn't need outriggers. There's a huge torsion bar installed between the back wheels to keep the truck level and it works great.

Bucket trucks serve their purpose but they are pretty hard to drive around on the grounds of an estate, through the forest, down paths to the shore, and over granite hardscaping. They also don't fit through suburban backyard gates very well as far as I know! :)

Muskoka is a difficult place to explain to people... if you aren't familiar with this area try 'earth google' and start at about 2 miles elevation, zooming in on Port Carling, Ontario.

Have a great day.

The Lighting Geek
11-24-2007, 01:05 AM
James, I was reading up on the spiderlift and watching the videos. I really like what I see. Having operated alot of equipment over the years, this looks very well thought out. You can operate multiple controls at once. Alot of smaller equipment won't let you operate more than one control at a time and it really slows you down. It really looks mobile as well. It would fit into my existing 14' enclosed trailer, which would be very cool. It would probably look like a Transformer was coming out and opening up, but oh well...LOL

I will be looking to rent one here as well. I wil let you know if I do.

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
11-24-2007, 11:45 AM
James, I was reading up on the spiderlift and watching the videos. I really like what I see. Having operated alot of equipment over the years, this looks very well thought out. You can operate multiple controls at once. Alot of smaller equipment won't let you operate more than one control at a time and it really slows you down. It really looks mobile as well. It would fit into my existing 14' enclosed trailer, which would be very cool. It would probably look like a Transformer was coming out and opening up, but oh well...LOL

I will be looking to rent one here as well. I wil let you know if I do.

I like the looks and spec's of the Teupen Leo12G myself. It is smaller, lighter, and has more reach and capacity then the other type.

Please let me know if you rent one and what you think of it.

Have a great day.

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
02-21-2008, 09:09 AM
Anyone have any updates on this thread? Have you seen one, rented one, used one in any capacity?

Regards.

PHS
02-21-2008, 09:47 AM
Just a thought, if your primary use is around trees that probably means soft ground and most likley you'll be putting out outrigger pads as well slowing down the set-up and moving around time. The unit also only has 16' of lateral reach meaning you're going to have to get pretty close to the tree you're working and that may not always be feasible, you know the area you're working in better than I do so it's just an idea. It's easy to get right up close to the wall of a building.

I'm an arborist and experienced tree worker even though I'm not doing that professionally anymore so my bias is towards what I know :)...I would invest in some appropriate equipment for working in trees and spend a little time learning how to use it. Even if you get the lift unit there are still going to be lots of trees that for one reason or another you won't be able to use it on and the ladder will be necessary again. At least when you do have to use the ladder you can do it safely.

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
02-21-2008, 12:05 PM
Thanks PHS. Got the ladders, and the certificate, got the climbing rig, and the certificate. I am just getting tired of all the climbing! Over 2000 trips up the ladder last year.

With a footprint of only 6 psi the Leo12G should not pose a problem here. It is small and agile enough for the terrain here, and a 16' lateral reach is enough to handle over 80 % of my tree mounts. Sure there will be some that I have to use the ladder or rig for, but the idea of being safely elevated to 30+ feet hundreds of times per year sure sounds good to me.

I have used a Genie articulated lift a couple of times before. The thing was amazingly fast as I installed and then later aimed over 300 moonlights along a roadway. The spider lift will be much slower, but it only weighs 3500lbs and will easily fit on a single axle trailer.

Thanks for the input, Have a great day.

PHS
02-21-2008, 12:38 PM
Got the ladders, and the certificate, got the climbing rig, and the certificate. I am just getting tired of all the climbing

Gotcha. I thought you were you were climbing a ladder without any safety gear. I see that done on a regular basis :). I can understand getting tired of going up and down ladders every day even if it takes a few minutes longer with the lift, I think it's worth it if prevents burn-out.