PDA

View Full Version : Golden Empress Trees?

Nate@Perfect Lawnscapes
11-23-2007, 12:24 PM
I would like a golden empress tree to replace a shade tree that succumbed to......somthing. I know very little about them, they grow fast and aeren't in my area. And the one website that I found.... that carried them, was back-ordered for over a year. Any help would be great.

treedoc1
11-23-2007, 02:50 PM
Why not also plant Tree of Heaven or Melaleuca or Norway Maple.
They all fast growing and are also all noxious weeds, even if they aren't all on the Federal List yet.
:hammerhead:

Grass Happens
11-24-2007, 10:45 PM
Perhaps european buckthorn would be a good choice...
Whats the botanical on golden empress? I'm not familar with that common name.

treedoc1
11-25-2007, 03:06 PM
Paulownia tomentosa

Ryan_VT
11-25-2007, 06:00 PM
Paulownia tomentosa 'Coreana' is a golden cultivar. Their wood brings a lot of money in asia. People occasionally steal trees from other peoples land and from rail-road property. I think they look good when they are in flower, but they reseed like wildfire and your neihbors might not appreciate you planting one.

Green Man Enviroscaping
12-04-2007, 08:03 PM
You should definitely avoid the Paulownia due to its invasive habit and, depending on the situation, fast growth. I really love the appearance of the species - purple foxglove-like flowers and hugeous leaves - but they get out of control too easily. Couldn't pay me enough to plant one, even though they're not as likely to show invasive tendencies in this area.

Outside of the exotic invasive issue, one of the pitfalls of having a tree spring up that fast is that the wood tends to be weak. It would be more susceptible to ice and wind damage. One of my favorite native trees is the silver maple, but I wouldn't put one within falling distance of a house or road because I know that it's more a matter of when it will drop limbs or everything, not if it will.