PDA

View Full Version : Spring Clean Up

DD3
11-23-2007, 01:15 PM
Just wondering if someone can tell the order you do a spring clean up. Mow, Power rake, aerate? Power Rake,Mow Aerate? Not really sure what to do first.

nemow
11-23-2007, 02:07 PM
First we start off by doing a fall cleanup because the leaves haven't fallen yet and the spring is 4 1/2 months away.

Daner
11-23-2007, 03:39 PM
Just wondering if someone can tell the order you do a spring clean up. Mow, Power rake, aerate? Power Rake,Mow Aerate? Not really sure what to do first.

I think You mean the fall clean up ??

IMO aerating Is best to be done In the fall...not to say you can't do It In the spring. Power rake?? you may not need to do that...you have to go by what the yard needs at the time. each yard could be different

DD3
11-23-2007, 04:09 PM
Yes I know all about aerating in the fall. I tend to take a soil probe to the lawn before deciding whether or not to do a power rake or not. Alot of the lawns have a high thatch layer. We have quite a few of lawn spray companys where I live. So alot of fast top growth on the lawns. I'm just not sure if at after blowing out all the beds would i power rake first then mow or mow first then rake. Do you like your dump trailer, looking into the same size.

Daner
11-23-2007, 05:38 PM
Yes I know all about aerating in the fall. I tend to take a soil probe to the lawn before deciding whether or not to do a power rake or not. Alot of the lawns have a high thatch layer. We have quite a few of lawn spray companys where I live. So alot of fast top growth on the lawns. I'm just not sure if at after blowing out all the beds would i power rake first then mow or mow first then rake. Do you like your dump trailer, looking into the same size.

OK I know the power raking you mean now...I would cut first then Rake.

That dump trailer of mine has seen a lot of very hard work...I love It...I also built racks for it so we can carry hay with It as well.

Good luck with your clean up job.

gene gls
11-23-2007, 10:15 PM
Look into using a power brush. I have an MB 40" power Brush that I use instead of a dethatcher. It will brush up all the sticks and nuts at the same time as removing the old cut grass.

DD3
11-24-2007, 06:12 PM
I don't think a power brush would do. I understand the bad effects a power rake can have. Alot of lawns here can have up to a 3" thatch, the recommended is 3/4".

gene gls
11-24-2007, 07:49 PM
I don't think a power brush would do. I understand the bad effects a power rake can have. Alot of lawns here can have up to a 3" thatch, the recommended is 3/4".

Rent one to try it out. I haven't used a detacher sence I got the power brush. It will take 99% of the dead material off the top of the soil but will not dig down into the soil like a dethatcher does.

DD3
11-26-2007, 02:14 PM
I will check into that in the spring. I see all the city crews using the power brushes on large green spaces and boulevards. I guess i never thought to use it on residential lawns. Thanx for the feedback.