PDA

View Full Version : Any help would be greatly apprecieated.

Perfect Lawnscapes Inc.
11-23-2007, 03:27 PM
I am sure you guys have heard this a thousand times, but I am starting my own LCO. I am inc. The business end is pretty much wrapped up (accountant, attorney). I have what I think of as "enough" experience(5 years applicating, 2 of those 5 mowing and "small"l andscaping too). I plan on residential only for the first year or two then upgrading to a 60"Z and taking on bigger jobs. I will also be offering lawn applications. My prices will not be "lowballish" either, you get what you pay for. My main questions are,
1. Used Equipment: what brands have the most longevity? (36"w/b for now)
hustler,gravely,exmark,toro,scag,cub cadet (mowers/service in my area)
2. Used Trailers: how old is too old? new in my area 1200-1500 16 by 7(growth in mind)
3. Hand equipment: echo,stihl,murayama,husqvarna?
4. Vertical software: Gopher pro ,Groundskeeper pro ?(applications)
5. Landscape lighting: Is it a good idea for somthing extra?
6. "Softscapes": Landscaping without walls? (customer's kid smashed his face on a wall this summer......bad)
7. How much work (gross) before someone is hired?

topsites
11-23-2007, 09:06 PM
2. Trailer(s): Whatever you do, buy it new.
7. 4-5 years solo, gross doesn't matter.

Perfect Lawnscapes Inc.
11-23-2007, 10:10 PM
Thanks topsites, how about the rest?

advantage landscaping
11-24-2007, 01:32 AM
I am sure you guys have heard this a thousand times, but I am starting my own LCO. I am inc. The business end is pretty much wrapped up (accountant, attorney). I have what I think of as "enough" experience(5 years applicating, 2 of those 5 mowing and "small"l andscaping too). I plan on residential only for the first year or two then upgrading to a 60"Z and taking on bigger jobs. I will also be offering lawn applications. My prices will not be "lowballish" either, you get what you pay for. My main questions are,
2. Used Trailers: how old is too old? new in my area 1200-1500 16 by 7(growth in mind)
6. "Softscapes": Landscaping without walls? (customer's kid smashed his face on a wall this summer......bad)
7. How much work (gross) before someone is hired?

Keep in mind this is my opinion.

1. I go scag. But you actually need to answer this question. Find a good dealer near you and find out what they service, and go with it. If it's an exmark, look for used exmark. Talk to them and they sometimes have equipment laying around, or may know a landscaper willing to sell you something.
2. For a 36 all you need is a mesh bottom 5 x 8, which I bet you can get new for $700. I dont care if it's a 1940's trailer or a 2005 trailer, its a trailer and does not make you money, at all!. Make sure the paperwork is correct and make sure your truck has the correct hitches.
3. Whatever the dealer has(preferably the one with the mower). They will all run forever. And he will probably want to help you out looking for a machine if you spend a few bucks on his handhelds.
4. Use Mic. Excel or something similar to that. Bill monthly. There is no need for you to have that at this point. It is a luxury and I live without it. When you do not have enough time to do it as is, you adapt.
5. Are you an electrician? I bet no... So no it's not.
6. English please?
7. There is no way to know. Maybe you have too much work in 2 years, maybe 5 years. That's for you to figure out, and you wont know until you get started. You can always stay just you, there are a lot of guys that do and in many ways it pays off.

advantage landscaping
11-24-2007, 01:33 AM
i also doubt you are an INC., so if you're not get rid of it before you get in trouble with the feds.

Perfect Lawnscapes Inc.
11-24-2007, 10:03 AM
i also doubt you are an INC., so if you're not get rid of it before you get in trouble with the feds.

submitted the paperwork at my sec. of state website 2 days ago...nobody had a business name close to mine. legal zoom $875-sec. of stste $275?

advantage landscaping
11-24-2007, 10:05 AM
submitted the paperwork at my sec. of state website 2 days ago...nobody had a business name close to mine. legal zoom $875-sec. of stste $275?

Yep thats what they go for...

Perfect Lawnscapes Inc.
11-24-2007, 10:16 AM
how old are you again?

advantage landscaping
11-24-2007, 10:21 AM
17. Why...?

Nate@TLCS
11-24-2007, 10:34 AM
you are 17? so who is your business insurance through? or is it cash for now?

advantage landscaping
11-24-2007, 10:50 AM
Through a parent for now, but I will be 18 soon. I get paid with all checks so I just take a part and put it for insurance, which really is not that much for a 1 man op.

topsites
11-24-2007, 11:02 AM
Thanks topsites, how about the rest?

1. It varies from one machine to the next, how used it is to me is more important than brand, price also.
2. All of those are good brands, I stick to Stihl myself thou I do have an echo, don't know about the rest.
4. Don't know, I do everything the old fashioned way, I let automated banking and business accounts do most of the rest.
> Examples: Mortgage / rent, electric, phone, the Z's payment, cable: All this is on auto-pay, but this might not be the best thing in the first years because you really need to keep at least a g in the account always (2g is better), but something to keep in mind for later.
> Examples: Capital one's business credit card sends me an itemized end-of-year summary for all purchases made, by category, that takes care of all my expenses tracking, works great for taxes, and yes I use that credit card for everything... Chase Manhattan's might do it also but I suspect you need a FICO 750+, I'm just now getting in with those guys, capital one is good thou I been using it for 6 years.
5. Don't know, that's why I skipped these.