PDA

View Full Version : is it to late to plant leyland cypresses in central NJ

shade tree landscaping
11-24-2007, 12:00 AM
is it to late to plant leyland cypresses in central NJ? thanks ahead of time guys

shade tree landscaping
11-24-2007, 06:51 PM
No one has any info t help me out on this?

maintenanceguy
11-24-2007, 07:37 PM
I don't think it's too late.

I grew up on a nursery. We "healed in" a lot of bare root stock this time of year. In other words, we would bury the roots in sand or peat or a mix of both and just let them winter over that way and they survived fine.

Planting a tree in the early winter is the same. It won't do any growing until spring but it should survive.

Be sure to water well and water several times during the winter. Even dormant trees need water, especially if the roots aren't well established.

daveyo
11-25-2007, 10:04 PM
No its not to late, make sure there not b&b's, stake them properly and you'll be fine

shade tree landscaping
11-26-2007, 09:44 AM
thanks for the input guys, the job is 2 weeks out, but as long as the ground doesnt freeze up I thought I would be fine! thanks again!

ralphieboy
11-26-2007, 09:54 PM
just saw your post ,we have been having a diease problems with leylands the past few years, mostly leaf kanker which is fatal for the tree.A suitable subsitute would be thuja plicata, Green Giant same look but alot less problems.Hope this helps .