PDA

View Full Version : Dual Exhaust

TheChiefsLawnCare
11-24-2007, 01:18 AM
I called a exhsut installer today and he said that if I was to run a true dual system on my 03 gmc sierra then i would void out my warrenty. So ive decided to go with jus a single muffler, however i dont want the standard comin out the bac crap, i want them to come out the side. However, i want it to look a certain way and havnt been able to finsd any pics on the internet of how i want it to look. So im hopin that someone on here would have done this to their truck the way that i want mine done. Soooo please post pics of your dual exhaust. Any help is worth it. thanks

LALawnboy
11-24-2007, 04:11 AM
The best place I know of (where I got my exhaust done) is Supreme Muffler, right off Clearview. I think you're right in that if you get true duals, it will void your warranty. I think when they install true duals, they dismantle your catalytic converter and the exhaust will run from your headers. I've got the 1 in, 2 out exhaust system on my '02 silverado and have been completely happy with it. Now I know I don't have the same exhaust that you want (mine comes straight out the back), I'm sure if you tell the guys at Supreme what you want, they can do it for you.

TheChiefsLawnCare
11-24-2007, 04:19 AM
HAHA yeah thats where im gettin it done at. Thats the guy i called and they told me about voiding the warrenty. so what are u runnin, flows, magna, cora, etc???

TBB
11-24-2007, 04:21 AM
Very few exhausts are done "true dual" any more. To have a true dual exhaust it is completely split where each exhaust manifold coming off the block has its own muffler. Basically you have four cylinders going into each muffler, but if you look under your truck the factory exhaust runs the exhaust manifolds into one pipe that leads into your catalytic converter then into the factory muffler. When my dad was in high school, late 70's & early 80's, he had a Pontiac Gran Prix that was true dual and they actually cut a notch in the frame for the exhaust second exhaust pipe and the muffler to run down the other side of the vehicle. Like you said, back then it wasn't a big deal but now I'm sure they won't do it because of liability issues. Today most dual exhaust systems just refer to having dual exit pipes coming out of a single muffler. I have a '99 Chevy and I was just under it tonight changing my oil, and I'm sure that your frame is set up much the same. If you look at your current exhaust you will see how it is routed and see that there isn't really any way to put a second cat and muffler anywhere under it without notching the frame. Were you wanting it to come out the side of the truck in front of the rear wheels? Did you want it to be under the bottom part of the quarter panel or notched into the body?

Cantona
11-24-2007, 08:08 AM
You can run true duels on the Sierra with cats. I had the set up on my 2000 Sierra and I installed to after market car sounds cats. Going to 2 spintech mufflers. Same set up I had on my WS6

topsites
11-24-2007, 10:46 AM
True dual exhaust needs aluminum headers, and two catalytic converters.
But you can still increase the airflow otherwise, just headers and two mufflers still helps.

LALawnboy
11-24-2007, 07:01 PM
HAHA yeah thats where im gettin it done at. Thats the guy i called and they told me about voiding the warrenty. so what are u runnin, flows, magna, cora, etc???

I've got the Flowmaster 40 Series (I'm pretty sure that's the model #). I can't remember the guys' names over there since it's been about 2 years since I got my exhaust done. Supreme will be the only place I do business with from now on. They'll help you out with anything and don't make you feel like a moron if you don't really understand everything about the exhausts (like me) when you first get it.

newz7151
11-24-2007, 07:38 PM
Well, thought I had a pic of where mine comes out (99 Silverado NBS), but all my shots are of the driver's side, so I'll try and take one tomorrow and post.

TheChiefsLawnCare
11-24-2007, 10:43 PM
great info, as for TBB's question, i want them 2 both come out the behind the rear tire, not next 2 the hitch. as for lalawnboy, yeah i no what u mean, everytime i call them, the guy is very patient. ill be goin to them when i get mine done. imma ge usin the flowmaster super 44. newz, if u could post that pic that would be great.

Chop Stuff Up
11-24-2007, 11:05 PM
Mine come out behind each tire with a 3.5" chrome tip. Mine's a '92 though. Probably the same concept. Basically its the single factory pipe that goes to the muffler and the muffler splits it out into duals. If you want a pic let me know.

Alright I found an old pic from when my wheel fell off but you get the point. Is this how you wanted yours to run? I drew arrows to the pipes. If you need a pic under the body let me know. I'm pretty sure the 2 sections past the muffler were already pre-made and they just had to weld it right on.

Chop Stuff Up
11-24-2007, 11:12 PM
found a better pic

TheChiefsLawnCare
11-24-2007, 11:14 PM
nooo, heres the link 2 what i want mine 2 look and sound like, i found it on youtube. http://youtube.com/watch?v=AD8pZ2GUfTE yours come out in the corner of the bumper i want em 2 come out in the middle of the body between the bumper and the rear tire. youll see exactly what i mean when u watch the video. thanks tho.

huskres
11-24-2007, 11:15 PM
True duals arent really going to make you anymore power. Having to free of a flowing exhaust actually robs power a lot of the time. IMO its a waste of money, you dont need 5 inches or whatever of exhaust for a regular v8.

FearThisDeere
11-25-2007, 01:01 AM
I have a Flowmaster Origional 40 single in dual out going to 4" tips on my dodge Dakota and love it. It has a nice deep sound and is very loud, especially in the cab which is what I want. Is this how you want your tips to exit? I think they call it 45 degree exit behind the rear tires.

TheChiefsLawnCare
11-25-2007, 03:18 AM
SWEET, THATS ITS, and i want the 4 inch tips also, that s*** looks fiya LOL. so u think its called a 45 degree angle. do u no anythin about the super 44, if its noisy in the cab, cause i want a good idle, deep start up, and acceleration and a good sound level in the cab.

topsites
11-25-2007, 02:53 PM
You do know the behind-the-tire thing isn't just for cool looks, thou I'm sure some folks think it is and I myself prefer it.
But the true reason for this is exhaust-assisting air flow!

You want the aerodynamics of the vehicle, when rolling, for air to pass your exhaust vents in such a way that it helps suck OUT the gases, not sure how to explain it but that is the actual purpose of any exhaust that doesn't go straight out back.

Matter of fact, some out-back exhausts are angled down, it's for that same reason, so the rushing air that blows past as you drive helps suck out the gases. And it will, if installed correctly, air that is rushing past creates a vacuum in the mouth of the tubes, thus further assisting the system's ability to expel gases.

See the pic of that red chevy, those outwards angled out-back tubes behind the tires are angled not straight out the sides but kind of in between, that is properly done because the air going past the tire now creates a vacuum in the tube, or at least it should.

Something to keep in mind when installing the stuff, definitely because you can as easily end up forcing wind resistance back into the tubes and that would hurt your fuel economy thus at least partly defeating the process. Leaving this to a professional should help.

Peace

GravelyNut
11-25-2007, 03:33 PM
You do know the behind-the-tire thing isn't just for cool looks, thou I'm sure some folks think it is and I myself prefer it.
But the true reason for this is exhaust-assisting air flow!

You want the aerodynamics of the vehicle, when rolling, for air to pass your exhaust vents in such a way that it helps suck OUT the gases, not sure how to explain it but that is the actual purpose of any exhaust that doesn't go straight out back.

Matter of fact, some out-back exhausts are angled down, it's for that same reason, so the rushing air that blows past as you drive helps suck out the gases. And it will, if installed correctly, air that is rushing past creates a vacuum in the mouth of the tubes, thus further assisting the system's ability to expel gases.

See the pic of that red chevy, those outwards angled out-back tubes behind the tires are angled not straight out the sides but kind of in between, that is properly done because the air going past the tire now creates a vacuum in the tube, or at least it should.

Something to keep in mind when installing the stuff, definitely because you can as easily end up forcing wind resistance back into the tubes and that would hurt your fuel economy thus at least partly defeating the process. Leaving this to a professional should help.

Peace

LoL!!! If that were true, then why did Chevy in 2001 aim the exhaust 3 different ways with the 3 different engines that they put in the duallys? The real reason has nothing to do with power, it has to do with preventing fumes from being trapped behind the truck, under the truck, or on the side of it.

And for the record, mine is straight back from the rear wheels.

FearThisDeere
11-25-2007, 03:41 PM
SWEET, THATS ITS, and i want the 4 inch tips also, that s*** looks fiya LOL. so u think its called a 45 degree angle. do u no anythin about the super 44, if its noisy in the cab, cause i want a good idle, deep start up, and acceleration and a good sound level in the cab.

Thanks! The Super 44 is a good muffler from what I've heard. It's a little quieter than the Origional 40, but has pretty much the same tone. If you want balls to the wall loud, the 40 would be good, otherwise the 44 will get it done.

RedMax Man
11-25-2007, 10:18 PM
Here is a pic that shows mine. Dual exhaust with a 45 angle opening.
I have a flowmaster and the the system was done by Lou's Custom Exhaust.

The truck has a deep toned startup, nice cab tone, and good acceloration noise tone. Overall great sound and power without sounding fake like some aftermarket exhausts i've heard.

Oasis-Outdoor
11-26-2007, 10:01 AM
Very nice set up red max man! Are the auxillary lights on the back bolted to a bracket on the bumper? Bet that was fun drilling into the chrome!

FearThisDeere
11-26-2007, 09:25 PM
the system was done by Lou's Custom Exhaust.

They did mine too. I went to the one in Waltham. Great guys and they do amazing work. I like the angle of yours coming dwon from the fender. I don't see that a lot.

TheChiefsLawnCare
11-26-2007, 09:31 PM
fear this deere still has the best setup. i dont like the tips to come in the corner of the bumper. its 2 long lookin if u want the tips 2 come behind the tire. but there are jus so many differnt ways that these things can be done and theres very few that i like. im glad that deere has it the way that i want it that way when i get mine done durnin the chirstmas break i can make sure that the guy gives the look that i am after. but keep the posts comin, all info is good. thanks

FearThisDeere
11-26-2007, 09:40 PM
Yeah print out that pic and bring it to your guy. They will be able to do it. Too bad you arn't closer because I could hook you up haha. Here are a few closer views for you:

FearThisDeere
11-26-2007, 09:41 PM
Number two...

FearThisDeere
11-26-2007, 09:41 PM
Number three...

FearThisDeere
11-26-2007, 09:42 PM
Last one...

TheChiefsLawnCare
11-26-2007, 10:55 PM
haha, yeah we jus a tad far away. thanks for the close ^ imma print those out also, cause i really like ur setup. thanks soooooo much!!!!! youve been a big help

newz7151
11-27-2007, 01:02 AM
Ok, here is a rather bad photo of mine (camera phone) . Mine come out on the passenger side in front of the rear wheel. If the weather is nicer tomorrow, I'll try and get a wider shot with the regular (well, digital) camera.

South Florida Lawns
11-27-2007, 02:29 AM
down around here we call it em butterfly duals or butterfly's.

Make sure you get all stainless stuff other wise you will be downgrading your exhaust system because it will rust out in a matter of years.

FearThisDeere
11-27-2007, 09:00 PM
Ok, here is a rather bad photo of mine (camera phone) . Mine come out on the passenger side in front of the rear wheel. If the weather is nicer tomorrow, I'll try and get a wider shot with the regular (well, digital) camera.

How dinged up do your tips get? Mine get beat up even with my 12"x18" mud flaps on the back. I've been thinking about moving them ahead of the tire, so it's even louder in the cab and maybe avoid some road rash, but I'mn worried it might be worse in front of the tires because there is no protection.

FearThisDeere
11-27-2007, 09:01 PM
haha, yeah we jus a tad far away. thanks for the close ^ imma print those out also, cause i really like ur setup. thanks soooooo much!!!!! youve been a big help

I love to show my baby off whenever I can. If you have anyother questions along the way feel free to shoot them my way. I've got hundres of hours into exhaust research. I never can make up my mind on things like this.