PDA

View Full Version : Max. Towing Capacity on my Dodge?

flairland
11-24-2007, 02:18 PM
Hey guys,

I have a 1998 Dodge 1500 4x4 Reg. Cab. The truck is in amazing shape, and really would like to keep it for a long time - hopefully becomes my crews truck eventually. I'm looking a getting a dump trailer soon, just wondering what I'm rated at. I'm hoping to put the firestone air bags in the back to help it out, but let me know what you guys think. oh, and it has the 318:weightlifter: j/k :)

PerfectEarth
11-24-2007, 02:22 PM
You need to look in your manual- it'll tell you what it's rated to tow. You'll probably be around 7,500-8,500 lbs... Look at Towing Capacity, not the GVWR.

*wait, you have two, 12' trailers and you've never check to see what you can pull?? Interesting.

flairland
11-24-2007, 02:37 PM
Thanks for the response Perfectearth. I bought the truck used a while ago, and it didn't come with manuel. I do have the two trailers, but both of them have 3500 lbs axles, and thats considered pretty lightweight, so I figure my truck could easily tow those - and it does. Just wanted some recommendations..

PerfectEarth
11-24-2007, 02:43 PM
Ah, I see. Well, you can probably look it up online or call a dealer and ask.

I have a 1500 Chevy Z71, 2001. And I have a 12,000lb rated Bri-Mar Heavy Duty dump trailer. The trailer alone weighs around 3,500lbs. and it is a definite load on the Chevy. Trailer brakes are a MUST. I have NEVER loaded it with more than a couple yards of soil and 3-4 yds of hardwood... It's just too much for the truck. I think I'm rated at 8,200lbs towing on the Chevy.

I also have a F-550 dump which can pull 18,000....so it's not a problem. The problem is, I have my CDL permit now cause I can't hook the trailer and Ford together legally without a CDL. It pushes me over the 26,000 GCWR number.... Gotta schedule my road test this week.

What type of dump trailer are you looking at?

flairland
11-24-2007, 02:53 PM
Thanks again. I'd like to get a 5 ton dump trailer (approx. 11,000lbs). I'm from ontario, so I'm guessing brands names are different, as I haven't ever seen a Brimer, although hear lots about them on the site, but I'm looking at either a Loadmaster or a Miska trailer. I'm guessing it's asking a bit much of my truck, but I plan to keep it for quite a while, and my next truck would definitely be at least a 3/4 ton. And yes, I do already have trailers brakes set up on my truck.