PDA

View Full Version : read any good books?

Grubbworm
11-24-2007, 04:37 PM
I've been a custom design & build landscaper for seven years and have been designing & installing low voltage systems in this time. I have only done residential & nothing really big. Generally speaking the systems are always nice and I have never really had any call backs or major problems.
But, I have just started using spider systems and know there is plenty more for me to learn (especially concerning proper lamp selection and just general "how-to" nitty griddy).
So has anybody read any good books, CD's, etc. about "how-to" design & install low voltage systems. Something that is very thorough and in-depth.

klkanders
11-24-2007, 06:20 PM
www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=203374&page=2

Chris J
11-24-2007, 08:20 PM
http://www.wlld.us/book_reviews/index.shtml

check out Tom Williams book review. There are a lot of choices and good books here. He is not at the top of my list right now on a personal level, but I think his book review is quite nice.
Hope this helps.

Nate@TLCS
11-24-2007, 09:11 PM
Sorry to impose but can anyone suggest a good/informative book on christmas lighting? I am the most able bodied person in my family(and own a lcc.... it is like I am supposed to know) and they want me to hang their lights, I told them only if it looked good..... I need help. p.s. this is not somthing I offer my customers, or will I until I think I do a better job than the other guys. Thankyou in advance.

Lawn Designers
11-25-2007, 01:32 AM
Can you guys please tell me some good outdoor lighting books to read for beginners. I am very new to the game and want to educate myself as much as possible in the industry this winter. I've only done very small projects by myself and with other landscapers so my knowledge is very limited at this time. I plan on going to some seminars as well.

thanks

Pro-Scapes
11-25-2007, 08:47 AM
New guys please use the search function and on the advanced search try searching for books on the landscape lighting forum

http://www.lawnsite.com/search.php?searchid=2273891

Mike M
11-25-2007, 09:03 AM
I plan on going to some seminars as well.

Great start.

Grubbworm
11-25-2007, 09:22 AM
Thanks for the feedback! I ordered two of the suggested books. Looks like I have some winter time reading/studing to do!

Pro-Scapes
11-25-2007, 09:26 AM
rememeber. Seminars can be useful but they will arm you with some not so useful info sometimes.

Alot of dist or manufactures will tell you to charge xxx per fixture.
They will often arm you with excellent marketing and sales techniques but fall short when it comes to installation or technical info. You will not learn how to do lighting properly in a day or 2 at some seminar.

If you do attend a seminar try to make it one where you get a hands on installation and design explanation. I really value my dist based seminars as a great insight into marketing and sales but I would have to say I have learned more over the last few years here and by meeting with other contractors than I did sitting at a table at a seminar.

Nothing substitues for hands on experience.

Nate@TLCS
11-25-2007, 10:02 AM
New guys please use the search function and on the advanced search try searching for books on the landscape lighting forum

http://www.lawnsite.com/search.php?searchid=2273891

...........Did that. Didn't find what I was looking for.......Searched Klkanders post too, all it showed was an argument. I thought Lawnsite.com was for people in the same business to help each other....not to blow each other off???? If you don't have the time to answer a question.... then you don't have the time to give us bogus pages to look at or tell us what we are doing wrong. Next time, just skip the post and let other people answer.

Nate@TLCS
11-25-2007, 10:03 AM
rememeber. Seminars can be useful but they will arm you with some not so useful info sometimes.

Alot of dist or manufactures will tell you to charge xxx per fixture.
They will often arm you with excellent marketing and sales techniques but fall short when it comes to installation or technical info. You will not learn how to do lighting properly in a day or 2 at some seminar.

If you do attend a seminar try to make it one where you get a hands on installation and design explanation. I really value my dist based seminars as a great insight into marketing and sales but I would have to say I have learned more over the last few years here and by meeting with other contractors than I did sitting at a table at a seminar.

Nothing substitues for hands on experience.

Thankyou!!! this is a great answer!!!

Pro-Scapes
11-25-2007, 11:04 AM
...........Did that. Didn't find what I was looking for.......Searched Klkanders post too, all it showed was an argument. I thought Lawnsite.com was for people in the same business to help each other....not to blow each other off???? If you don't have the time to answer a question.... then you don't have the time to give us bogus pages to look at or tell us what we are doing wrong. Next time, just skip the post and let other people answer.

I made that post because the info is in fact there if you will take a few moments to read the threads. Also there was 3 newbies with 3 different book threads just started and it often comes up. Perhaps we should have a sticky book thread at the top since this is an often asked question. I wasn't trying to be rude but the info is there and where I said it was. I was also referring you to the search function because often times the info you are seeking is immediately available in the archives when you might otherwise have to wait for replies.

Enjoy your Sunday.

Lite4
11-25-2007, 01:26 PM
Nate Mullens book- The Landscape lighting resource manual, puts it down where every one can get it. Janet Moyers book is a bit more technical, but also very good from the perspective of the designer, this one will make more sense to you the longer you have been in this industry. Just my .02

The Lighting Geek
11-25-2007, 02:15 PM
tim, that was a good answer!

klkanders
11-26-2007, 12:28 AM
Tommy you are right! Tim did have a good answer...better than mine I see. It looks like I got bashed for bein the first one to try and help tho and mistakingly referred to the second page of a thread instead of the first. Geez what was I thinking? I will be more careful next time I try to help. :) Take Care!

JoeyD
11-26-2007, 10:14 AM
http://www.uniquelighting.com/education/Bookpage.html

Here is a link to the book page on our website.