PDA

View Full Version : Trailer brake question

Accu-cut Lawn Care
11-25-2007, 02:00 AM
How far out should I adjust the shoes on my trailer. I don't have them on tight enough right now. Should the wheel roll freely?

SiteSolutions
11-25-2007, 10:52 AM
I read that you adjust them until you can't turn them by hand, and then back off a couple clicks.

Accu-cut Lawn Care
11-25-2007, 02:02 PM
Thanks. Does anyone else have opinions on this?

cat2
11-25-2007, 02:06 PM
You want the tire to move freely

OSCLandscaping
11-25-2007, 02:20 PM
I adjust them until there is a slight drag on the wheel.

topsites
11-25-2007, 03:47 PM
I assume they're drum brakes, the way to adjust these is to take them in until you're either visually almost touching or until you feel a very slight drag, right in there between almost touching / slight drag. If they're discs they should self-adjust but I doubt they are, or maybe they don't...

Test your adjustment before you assume job done as well, be prepared to re-adjust / re-test, several times if need be.
Just that kind of thing, it's a process thou with time you get better at it.

Accu-cut Lawn Care
11-25-2007, 09:19 PM
I had them adjusted for no rub and they didn't work at all. Now there is a slight rub... and they work a little; but don't even drag the tires with the trailer empty. I'm just afraid of overtightening the shoes.

SiteSolutions
11-25-2007, 10:46 PM
My trailer brakes got useless earlier this year. I looked up how to adjust them and then did it, by tightening until they wouldn't turn by hand, and then backing off a couple clicks to where they would turn but not easy. They worked pretty good again after that but not like brand new. At least they would lock up unloaded on gravel.

They have gotten useless again and I tried to adjust them but they still are useless. I talked to my trailer guy and he says it is probably the magnets; apparently you have to put new magnets (coils) in them every couple years. If i ever work again and pay off some bills this will be high on the list of things to run out and get. They are pretty cheap although I don't know how tricky it is to replace them.