PDA

View Full Version : Yellow Sludge In Oil Change?

FearThisDeere
11-25-2007, 03:43 PM
I changed the oil in my Dakota today. Exactly 2900 miles since the last time about 2 months ago. I've done mostly just highway driving and a little around town. When I took the oil cap off I noticed a little bit of yellow sludge where the funnel goes. Just a little bit. It wiped clean with a towel. The oil that came out of the drain was perfect. I've never seen this before. I have 118K on my truck. Anybody see this before?:confused:

JimmyStew
11-25-2007, 05:06 PM
I am by no means an "engine guy" so take this with a HUGE grain of salt, but that sounds like either water or coolant has gotten into the oil. I'm not sure about the water, but if it is coolant, that is bad, bad, bad! You shouldn't run the truck until the problem is fixed or you risk ruining the engine - had that happen to a buick a couple of years ago.

Exact Rototilling
11-25-2007, 05:34 PM
Do you have missing coolant?

capelawncare.com
11-25-2007, 07:56 PM
If the oil that came out of the drain was perfect you shouldnt have any problems. If the oil that comes out of the drain looks like a chocolate milkshake you probably blew w head gasket but that doesnt sound like the case.

GravelyNut
11-25-2007, 08:03 PM
Water at the cap is not unheard of if the engine runs in a high humidity area. Is the engine getting up to proper engine temp?

GravelyNut
11-25-2007, 08:06 PM
If the oil that came out of the drain was perfect you shouldnt have any problems. If the oil that comes out of the drain looks like a chocolate milkshake you probably blew w head gasket but that doesnt sound like the case.

The infamous Campbell's Cream of Elephant soup. I hate seeing that. Always means alot of work ahead. :cry:

Pro-Scapes
11-26-2007, 09:15 AM
it could most likley be condensation. I think alot of these guys are jumping the gun on the headgasket.

As stated abovie check your coolant level and more importantly check your coolant for any signs of contamination. You may also want to pull the plugs and check to make sure they dont apear to be "washed"

I really think it was just condensation tho I have seen a couple of yellow boogers around oil caps several times.

DUSTYCEDAR
11-26-2007, 09:40 AM
your truck has hay feaver

AbsoluteH&L
11-26-2007, 09:55 AM
The early 4.7's were know for sludging up bad. It is likely just condensation. My 2000 Dakota was sludged so bad when I got it had a plugged oil pick up tube and a noisy lifter. But it also had 160000 miles of neglect from prior owners. Check out Dodge Forum , it is a great wealth of info.

FearThisDeere
11-26-2007, 09:30 PM
The coolant is fine and not contaminated at all. It gets up to the proper temperature. Plugs are great. It actually had a tune up about 15K ago. I'm going to say it's just condensation. I'll keep a loce eye on it. After 150 miles I checked the cap and there was no sludge. I'll check it again over the next few days just to be sure. The oil that I drained out actually looked really good.