PDA

View Full Version : trailer theft

ken gustafson
11-25-2007, 04:09 PM
Trying to find out if trailer theft is a problem or an issue in the industry. Would appreciate any and all feedback. If you have a concern or any ideas it would be helpful. Ken

Jscapes
11-25-2007, 08:55 PM
for the last few years, they've been stealing mostly backpack blowers off of trailers or large equipment left at sites. This year, there have been a lot of "everything" thefts where they steal all the equipment in your overnight storage place or steal the truck & trailer right off the street. Some trailers are lockable but they small locks you have to use can be cut easily. Chain everything because insurance will be high with a low or no theft deductible.

ken gustafson
11-25-2007, 09:33 PM
I would think that the chain would be just as easy to cut as the lock. Maybe just a big bolt cutter setup. I sell locks in all sizes and shapes...so if you would look at what is called a "puck lock" maybe you could tell me if that would work in the situation you were describing. The puck lock has no visible piece to cut. The main reason I use this type lock...very hard to defeat. Takes time to defeat. Time is a major enemy of the thief. I deal in mostly locking up trailers so if you would let me know if a " puck lock " would work that would be helpful in understanding. Ken

Chilehead
11-25-2007, 10:27 PM
About 3 years back, someone cut my loaded trimmer rack right off the trailer. I know another fellow who had his trailer stolen in a parking lot during his lunch hour. The thief unhitched the trailer, put it on his truck and took off. The whole ordeal took the crook about 30 seconds to do. I am now a firm believer in LoJack or GPS tracking devices.

Total.Lawn.Care
11-25-2007, 10:34 PM
In response to the Puck Lock that was referred to above, I use them. I have three on my trailer. You are right, there is nothing to cut so to get it off you actually have to dismantle the door of the trailer.

As for theft in this industry, I guess alot depends on where you are. I have not had a problem and I hope that it continues that way.

The post above about having a trailer stolen right off the truck, that is the primary reason I pull a large enclosed trailer and Lock it onto the hitch ball.

Raven386
11-25-2007, 11:09 PM
we just had a Stihl blower taken...as for the trailer, i have a lock but the only one i could find that fits is about 5" long so there is alot to cut. havent really seen any other locks that look like they would fit. Thats the only reason i would want an enclosed trailer I feel like it would be harder to break into.

Guzman Properties
11-25-2007, 11:18 PM
There was an attempt made on two of my enclosed trailers a couple weeks ago. I have Master coupler locks on all my trailers, plus a lock on the ball latch. I have round stainless steel locks on the doors, but the thief attempted to cut the lock hasps on the doors. I have replaced all my door locks with the "puck" style.

ken gustafson
11-26-2007, 09:47 AM
Thank you all for the feedback....am starting to get another picture of how things really are. Had no previous thoughts on so much " other " stuff going on mainly because I am a trailer lock manufacturer and a seller of locks of all types. Just never know what is going on by reading the paper. Plate is full now....trying to Patent other trailer locks. Just know that chains are easy to cut.... it is how my first trailer was stolen. Still have that burnt feeling and trying to slow down theft. Ken

rodfather
11-26-2007, 03:23 PM
Couple years ago I had 2 Pequea 18 foot deckovers stolen from my equipment yard. They were chained together with a pretty hefty chain and lock as well.

Marek
11-26-2007, 03:33 PM
We raced motorcycles for years and lots of freinds had bikes stollen out of thier trailers that were locked. The thieves didnt worry about cutting the locks on the enclosed trailers they just cut the lasp that folds on the locking mechanism or the hinges . We had our enclosed trailer cleaned out on a job site 2 yrs ago, the guys were mowing and left it sitting open,they stole 3 trimmers 2 hedge trimmers 3 back pack blowers pole hedge trimmers and a chain saw all in broad daylight in the middle of a packed parking lot. One local company had his loaded up 20' enclosed dissapear, he un hooked at his shop one day then came in the next and it was gone. Its only going to get worse as the economy gets tighter so lock your tuff up ! And make sure its insured.

ken gustafson
11-29-2007, 05:38 PM
Could I get some feedback on the prices of " puck locks " ? Ken

siklid1066
12-21-2007, 09:34 AM
Last year in one weekend,7 local landscapers were robbed,yours truly also.Most of them had master puck locks and nobody found there locks.REASON (they had the key).So when you purchase locks get a new entry key made.(If you purchase locks some where on the same rack there will be the same lock with keys).Also the side doors of the enclosed trailers are easy access,with the puck lock you can rip the clasps off lock and all.(back the trailer up against something so there is no access to the ramp gate)

Mimowerman
12-21-2007, 03:40 PM
you know what they say, locks only keep the honest honest... if they want it bad enough they will get it .

Chilehead
12-22-2007, 01:00 AM
I had listed a thread quite some time ago about making a home made alarm system. I finally ended up with the following solution that I will probably construct before next season(albeit not entirely home made): Go to radio shack and get yourself an alarm siren and some residential window or door sensors(the magnetic kind). Also purchase an alarm power pack. The way they work is when the magnets are separated when armed, the alarm sounds. Simply attach one of the two magnets from each sensor to a piece of equipment, and the other to your rack/trailer. Wire the sensors/alarm to the power pack. Voila! Charge the power pack every night. Get a wireless remote to arm/disarm the system at will, and be sure to camouflage the wires from all the components. I know Zigby(a brand of alrm components) even makes a system that will dial a pre-programmed phone number to alert you of a tripped alarm--and it runs on batteries! I'll keep you posted on how this fares out.

ken gustafson
12-23-2007, 10:58 AM
Just seeking an answer to question above in spot #11.....Ken

Military Lawns
12-23-2007, 05:58 PM
Team,
Use a boot to lock the wheels. A determined thief will stop at nothing. Like someone else said lock everything (slow them down). Get some good insurance and good locks.

My neighbors trailer was stolen and another neighbor saw the trailer leaving the sub-division. They said that they thought he got a new truck! Talk to your neighbors and keep them informed (if you trust them).

D.J.:usflag:

DoetschOutdoor
12-23-2007, 06:26 PM
Puck locks are not much...I think mine was around $20 and they seem to be pretty tough and there is little lock to try and cut, although I'm sure its possible. I keep the ball hitch locked every night but I have had a hard time finding a lock that is long enough and is not to thick to go through the hole...if that makes sense. I back my trailer up right next to a basketball goal and run a cable lock though that every night. If the thieves didnt look at the lock around the hoop, they would pull off and the basketball hoop would go with them. Hopefully this would be enough noise to wake me up and then they would find me coming out of the house firing a couple different shots at them...

Ramairfreak98ss
12-23-2007, 10:06 PM
I dont think its a problem in any areas around me, theft in general might be but not of whole trailers.

Im guessing your talking enclosed trailers that lock? Dewalt makes a expensive gps system that is like a lojack. I lock the doors and have a hitch lock that doenst allow a ball to go into the socket. You could sitll "move" the trialer, but probably wouldnt get too far. Its not perfectly 100% safe, but it wouldnt be easy to steal. I would use larger masterlock locks on the doors but the hole is only so large they can fit through.

Ramairfreak98ss
12-23-2007, 10:10 PM
i wouldnt mind having such a device as the lojack or dewalt gps lock, but you have to pay per month for their service too, $20 or $30 or something which sucks after the purchase of the device. Plus this only does 1 vehicle.

If you have multiple expensive trucks, trailers, equipment, its very costly for this solution.

Id need one for my tractor, two trailers, one truck at very least...so its an investment in itself.

verant
12-23-2007, 10:47 PM
i'm fortunate i live where i do, so i don't have to worry about my equipment so much

GradeMan
12-24-2007, 12:57 AM
/how much would a gps tracker unit would be worth? I would have more fun hurting the thieves after they took my stuff. After all if you keep putting in insurance claims they simply keep raising your price until you can't afford it or it cost more than the equipment.

RedWingsDet
12-26-2007, 02:13 AM
everything is a problem in this industry. The most common in my area is blowers, however entire rigs get stolen all the time.

Fatboy Lawncare LLC
02-25-2008, 09:55 PM
I'm brand new to this site and just been looking around when I saw this
talk. I have not personally had a problem with trailers being stole but I have heard plenty of horror stories here in ohio about them being took right out of sites with plenty of equipment on them. I was at a outdoor an boat trade show a few weeks ago and saw best trailer lock I have come across. They were showing it for boats but would work on my flat trailers. It was named Big Stick. There was a story written about him in the Dayton newspaper that he had on the table. I found it on the web site. Anyone ever use it? I m thinking of trying out.

Shadetree Ltd
02-26-2008, 12:56 AM
I have $2000 of anti theft invested into one trailer. Two enclosed stolen in 5 years, last one with the truck and equipment in was close to $100,000. The best security is to have many layers of security independant of each other.

ken gustafson
02-29-2008, 08:09 PM
I try to invent trailer locks...then build them and the hardest part by far...find the people who can use them. I ask questions so I know what is needed and why. Most of the trailer locks...in my opinion....are just very easy to defeat.
So I can learn...I ask for opinions. Why do you like your trailer lock and if you would attack your lock what would it take? Thank you if you care to answer. Ken

ken gustafson
03-04-2008, 10:53 PM
Most trailer locks...a majority of them are very easy to defeat. Sledge Hammer, crow bar and most of them are done in. Anyone have a different opinion? Ken

CALandscapes
03-04-2008, 11:33 PM
Trying to find out if trailer theft is a problem or an issue in the industry. Would appreciate any and all feedback. If you have a concern or any ideas it would be helpful. Ken

Here's my story:

So I pull up this morning to pick up my Bobcat to move 300 cu. yds. of sand for a foundation (3' tall worth of sand..), and the two front tires/rims and spare tire/rim are GONE.
Some ******* took my $200/piece tires/rims to go buy himself a couple of $20 rocks or a case of beer...
Not a very productive day of Bobcat work... The new tires will be in tomorrow afternoon.

So, is trailer theft a problem? Well, they didn't take my whole trailer, but I'm sure if they could have they would have...