PDA

View Full Version : Starting out my business

personallawn
11-25-2007, 11:58 PM
Hi, my name is Ryan and Im planning on starting my own lawncare business. I have experience with all lawncare equipment from working at a country club where I got a lot of experience using all types of equipment. I am 18 years old which will make it harder for me to start out my own business when it comes to loans and getting customers. I am new to this site and I have been learning as much as I can to try to start up my business and any input or help would be appreciated. I had a few main questions. I want to buy an enclosed trailer and wanted to know what a good size and brand would be for me to fit a push mower, a ZTR(about 48 inch cut), trimmers, etc.? How many lawns would it be possible for me to have if the houses were average size, pretty close together, and I had someone who trimmed for me while I cut the lawns with a ZTR if I worked 20-30 hours a week? What are the best ways to start getting customers(mailing lists, postcards, etc.) if I want to get a good amount of customers by next spring? Thanks

Surfdunn
11-26-2007, 01:07 AM
I have a 6x12 enclosed and its fits my Wright 36 & 52 perfect along with a hand mower and all my other little things. Best bet to get costumers is to check out local towns and developments and see how many people actually have a company cut there lawn. Next come up with a good flyer and go house to house and pass them out.Its alittle late but start handing out flyers now to do leaf clean ups or to shovel driveways when it snows. This way you have a better chance in the spring to already have customers and a good understanding with them. Dont forget that most people want there lawns cut for the wknds. so look to be cutting wens.,thurs. and friday.I have a friend weedwack and edge while I cut and usually get anywhere from 25-35 lawns cut in a 8hr. day.

csl
11-26-2007, 01:34 AM
we have grown at a rate of close to 400% a year and this was all a result of doing a good job. word of mouth is huge, so work hard, budget wisely and DONT hire friends. also, since you live in a nice cold climate plan for an abrupt end to your season. blowouts also will make you a nice chunk of $$$, but be sure you understand irrigation well. hope this helps.

personallawn
11-26-2007, 02:09 AM
Thanks for the information above, anymore information would be a great help. Do most customers want you to bag there grass, sometimes, or no? I have seen some lawncare businesses in my area bag the grass all the time, some do it sometimes, and some never do it. If I bag for a customer on a yearly contract, how much should I increase my price? On average, what do most companies charge for a yearly contract of a yard where they mow and trim for an average house? What types of ZTR's are the most reliable and affordable that are out there? Thanks

Ryan

Marcos
11-26-2007, 02:42 AM
Around here people bag as little as they can possibly get away with.

If you schedule well, keep the blades sharp, maybe use 'gator blades' for better mulching, have good under-deck air flow, and don't try to mow too much wet grass, you can make the clippings do what your higher power intended you to do with them: make them disappear into the turf!

I'm a big believer in shredding the you-know-what out of leaves until they're completely disappeared into the grass.
Most of my residential customers are coming-out-of-the-closet tree huggers. So if and when these issues ever come up I can always talk up the environmental benefits of leaving everything lie mulched.
I've never had one turn me away that was already an existing customer.