PDA

View Full Version : Would you buy a GMC truck off a Toyota dealership?

westcoh
11-26-2007, 04:31 PM
Just wondering how many of you would buy a used truck off a different manufacturers lot. I've always heard the theory that if the person who traded it in is switching brands then theres a higher chance of the vehicle being a lemon.

The truck I'm looking at is a 2005 Sierra 2500HD ext. cab, 4x4 with the duramax, 95,000 miles, and SLE trim level for $21,000. Good deal, or should I pass?

HenryB
11-26-2007, 05:02 PM
They probably are switching to a Tundra. It's happening a lot.

TLS
11-26-2007, 06:13 PM
Are you sure that these vehicles are THIS dealers personal trades?

Usually vehicles are bought at auction for the used car lot market.

Price sounds decent for what it is. Sounds like a boat load of miles though for an '05!?

swim
11-26-2007, 09:12 PM
I worked at a Nissan dealership as a mechanic for several years. Most of the used cars we sold came from the auctions. We would get them in and do an inspection and fix any major problem leaks, brakes, tires, always a oil change, etc. After that we always tried to internally up sell to the used car department and depending on the how there profits were going we would sometimes be approved for maintenance things (tune up, timing belts, rotate and balance tires, things of that nature). So almost all the time we sold good cars and trucks at the dealership lot.

Now for the horror stories in the used car market. If there was something major wrong back to the auction it would go but just older cars with normal wear and tear they would ship out to a couple separate car lots the dealership owned in different towns. Not much money spent on these cars maybe a oil change but that was about it.

In review if it is at a new car dealership it is most likely in good shape. They do not want to give the manufacturer a bad rep. They may lose there contracts with them to another dealer.

In my opinion it does have allot of miles to be that new. An extended warranty may not be a bad idea. Do not worry about getting it they will definitely try to sell you one when you buy it. They make big money on those. But with all the miles it maybe in your best interest as well..

Hope this helps you make your decision. Good luck.:waving:

CFLS
11-26-2007, 09:45 PM
I bought my 02 GMC Duramax used from a Nissan dealer. It's been a great truck. It was about 2yrs old when I got it with 84,000 miles.

Capemay Eagle
11-26-2007, 09:48 PM
Just wondering how many of you would buy a used truck off a different manufacturers lot. I've always heard the theory that if the person who traded it in is switching brands then theres a higher chance of the vehicle being a lemon.

The truck I'm looking at is a 2005 Sierra 2500HD ext. cab, 4x4 with the duramax, 95,000 miles, and SLE trim level for $21,000. Good deal, or should I pass?

Gotta figue that the GMC even with problems, is still better than that piece of crap toyota pawns off as a truck.

windsory
11-26-2007, 09:58 PM
They probably are switching to a Tundra. It's happening a lot.

I really doubt that someone would trade in a 2500HD with a Duramax for a Tundra because they want a better truck :dizzy:. That's unless they're getting out of the business and are looking for something the wife can go grocery shopping with. lol

JoshC
11-26-2007, 11:12 PM
Sounds like a decent deal but that is a lot of miles for an 05. You might want to try talking them down some on the price.

And they weren't trading it in because the Tundra is a better truck. I have to agree with windsory that it is probably somebody getting out of the business and their wife needs a daily driver to cart the kids around and get groceries.

lazer 46
11-26-2007, 11:21 PM
I just traded my 05 chevy HD. It had 19,000 miles on it. There are good used trucks out there.

IA_James
11-27-2007, 12:48 AM
I'd buy it if I was looking for another truck. I love the GMC duramax/allison trucks, 2nd only to mine of course.

topsites
11-27-2007, 01:04 AM
As a rule NEVER buy a used brand A car from brand B dealer.

Only if you don't mind not having a warranty, or there is not much a warranty, 30 days is fine but nothing like 6 months or a year or longer. Do NOT buy an extended warranty and if there is a warranty it's a waste because they can not service your truck but you still have to take it to them because that's who sold it to you!

If a vehicle foreign to a dealership that is under their warranty breaks, here's what happens:
1) You take your car to the dealer who sold it to you.
2) There it waits in line with the rest of the cars that need fixing.
3) When it finally is it's turn to get fixed, instead it has to get towed to the right dealership.
4) There it waits in line again, with the rest of the other dealer's cars, first come first serve twice for you.
5) Now it finally gets fixed, oh and Hopefully it's something that's covered!!!
> We're just going to assume it is.
6) Plan another day for towing it back.
7) 2-4 weeks later, it's fixed.
Yes, even for simple crap.

Then, remember:
- You call Dealer A to find out when will it be fixed or what is wrong.
- Dealer A then calls Dealer B to ask the same question.
- Eventually Dealer A gets back to you.
> And it is always like that, this constant pit-pat-pit back-and-forth hem-haw see saw load of crap.

I'm not even getting into what nightmare it can be when what is broken is not covered.
Just think, you don't talk to dealer B, hear?
If you try, they'll tell you to talk to dealer A, oh yeah, all very proper now.
Lets just hope nothing gets lost in communication there, between everyone involved.

Yeah trust me, I know.

topsites
11-27-2007, 01:13 AM
Actually, with extended warranties it's different because those are like an insurance policy: Anyone who honors such work can repair the vehicle direct, then the policy seller pays for it.

But not original dealer warranties.

TXNSLighting
11-27-2007, 01:38 PM
yeh alot of used vehicles on deaer lots are from the auction. its funny seein a cummins dually on a suzuki lot...ha!! and a 350 king ranch on a mitsubishi lot. haha!

TLS
11-27-2007, 01:48 PM
I bought my 02 GMC Duramax used from a Nissan dealer. It's been a great truck. It was about 2yrs old when I got it with 84,000 miles.

What are these guys doing putting 40+K miles a year on a vehicle?

huskres
11-27-2007, 04:23 PM
Ive known on site dent guys who drove f-250's and such and they usually put around 75000 miles a year on their trucks.

westcoh
11-27-2007, 09:55 PM
Thanks for all the advice. I didn't realize so many used vehicles at dealers lots came from auctions. I've bought a few trucks at auctions before and had fairly good luck. Anyways, I looked at the carfax report for this truck and it's been registered in Colorado, Georgia, and now it's for sale in Texas?

Apparently it's been inspected and had an oil change / fluids topped up etc. I'm just waiting to see the records of what was all inspected now.

TLS
11-27-2007, 11:04 PM
TI looked at the carfax report for this truck and it's been registered in Colorado, Georgia, and now it's for sale in Texas?

And you live in Canada? It's not like it's going cheap. Why not look local?

westcoh
11-28-2007, 02:19 AM
And you live in Canada? It's not like it's going cheap. Why not look local?

Because the same truck here would probably cost over $30,000. It's ridiculous how much more things cost here, especially now that our dollar is basically on par with the USA. I bought one truck down there already this year, and theres no doubt in my mind that the next one I buy will be from somewhere in the USA as well.

PLM-1
11-28-2007, 03:09 AM
Around here dealers flip cars between each other quite a bit. I wouldn't worry about that. They buy what they can sell, Toyota's gotta do something to sell trucks!!! My truck is an '04 with 84k bought it in 05' with 12k. Don't really drive it too much I don't think, i just live a ways from where I primairly work.

justanotherlawnguy
12-02-2007, 01:42 AM
I bought my Chevrolet 1500hd off of a Nissan dealership. They took it on a trade. this ladies dad died and she did not want his truck. It was paid for so she traded it for a maxima.