PDA

View Full Version : Combining A lawn equipment store with my lawn care company?

B & A Lawn Care
11-26-2007, 04:36 PM
Would i be making a mistake by looking to expand my business into a lawn equipment business. I don't want to compete with other cutters if it would effect one business over the other, or do you guys think it could work, continuing both?

ed2hess
11-26-2007, 05:58 PM
We stopped doing business with one company because he was mowing grass.

DBL
11-26-2007, 07:13 PM

exactly what i was going to say....would you want to pay money to a competitor even if it was through another business its still his profit

Leaf Jockey
11-26-2007, 07:45 PM
Its not uncommon around here to see a lawn contractor also a dealer for brand x. The biggest reason for this is to get dealer pricing on the stuff they already run. If a large floor plan and parts inventory are not required it could work for you but don't expect to be selling machines to your mowing competitors.

Scott

TXLAWNBOY
11-26-2007, 07:57 PM
It can be done, but you have to know what you are getting into. The dealer I use for equipt. also ownes a very successful LCO. He keeps them as seperate as possible and runs them under different names. He was actually in the LCO biz first then started up a dealership. As long as you are smart, fair, and opperate both businesses with integrity you should be ok. If you are thinking some LCO's will not deal with you because you own a LCO you are right, but when the dealer they do use does them wrong or doesn't service them like they feel they deserve they may give you a try and if you take care of them and treat them fairly you could win their biz.

J&T Kiev
11-26-2007, 08:21 PM
It would seem like being a LCO while simultaneously a power equipment dealer would be a "conflict of interest". A dealer in Griffith Indiana does it and his "business practices" have been called into question.

Dunn's
11-26-2007, 11:09 PM
Yeah it could work out great because you know how not to treat your customers from the things that you did not like as an LCO from your dealer. But you could be accused of things by a bitter competitor and it could hurt your business even if not true. But I guess that is the same as anything.

But I have a question didn't you just say you where going to expand into cross country subcontracting, so we could all cut your lawns for you or something to that nature?

Oh yeah Lead The way J&T 18X here was going to be 18B.

topsites
11-26-2007, 11:29 PM
It's bad enough when my dealer gives me the run around or doesn't fix my crap right, but at least I know he had no ulterior motives. He can do what he wants and I don't have to like it, but I sleep easier knowing that regardless of the reason it was most likely nothing to do with me or with my business.

No sir, much like myself the dealers are too one-way for their own good, there's no way this would work out in a sane fashion. It would be an oxymoron, almost hypocritical to do it. Running these two businesses would be like you taking your race car to a mechanic to have it tuned and fixed up for the upcoming race, except he's also going to be your competitor in the next Indy 500...

If you want to be a dealer then get out of being an Lco.
Or vice versa, but not both.

cgaengineer
11-26-2007, 11:34 PM
There is one close to me that sells BobCat and Ferris...he has been there for a few years so I guess business is good.

DuraCutter
11-26-2007, 11:45 PM
Would i be making a mistake by looking to expand my business into a lawn equipment business. I don't want to compete with other cutters if it would effect one business over the other, or do you guys think it could work, continuing both?

DON'T worry! Once you sell equipment, you won't go and mow again. If you play your cards right, they are probably the ones who make some of the best coin. In most instances, more than 95% of lcos.

One of the biggest dealers around here once did lawnmowing. I asked him how it went after they changed about 15 years ago. He laughed...

Do it, the best thing for your pocketbook. The only reason we mow is to keep the customer at arms length for the other services that pay tons more.

:)

DuraCutter
11-26-2007, 11:48 PM
It's bad enough when my dealer gives me the run around or doesn't fix my crap right, but at least I know he had no ulterior motives. He can do what he wants and I don't have to like it, but I sleep easier knowing that regardless of the reason it was most likely nothing to do with me or with my business.

No sir, much like myself the dealers are too one-way for their own good, there's no way this would work out in a sane fashion. It would be an oxymoron, almost hypocritical to do it. Running these two businesses would be like you taking your race car to a mechanic to have it tuned and fixed up for the upcoming race, except he's also going to be your competitor in the next Indy 500...

If you want to be a dealer then get out of being an Lco.
Or vice versa, but not both.

Relax, there aren't that many dealers that also mow, and if they do it's not for long. Do you think they want to make a measly $400 a day profit mowing with all the headaches and in the end. It's way better to service the lcos and make thousands a day in profit.

Topsites, you ain't got nothin to worry about...:)

J&T Kiev
11-27-2007, 12:47 AM
Oh yeah Lead The way J&T 18X here was going to be 18B.

My son signed an SF "Baby" contract...SF was short handed and trying to restock their ranks. They were really looking for medics and commo SSgts. (which just happen to be the two longest courses).

Most of the guys that are signing up for SF off of the street are in there mid to late 20's, have a degree, and are in very and I mean VERY good shape. Even still the Army is running them through some pre -training courses before sending them of to SFAS and the Q-course. If you fail, drop out or get hurt odds are you will end up at the 82nd as an 11B10P for the duration of your enlistment.

Dunn's
11-27-2007, 01:18 AM
My son signed an SF "Baby" contract...SF was short handed and trying to restock their ranks. They were really looking for medics and commo SSgts. (which just happen to be the two longest courses).

Most of the guys that are signing up for SF off of the street are in there mid to late 20's, have a degree, and are in very and I mean VERY good shape. Even still the Army is running them through some pre -training courses before sending them of to SFAS and the Q-course. If you fail, drop out or get hurt odds are you will end up at the 82nd as an 11B10P for the duration of your enlistment.

Actually I went through selection and was one of 13 that was selected. I was already a ranger and stationed at 10th but was waiting for my Q course. When I had Identity theft from an S-1 clerk as well as a few others in my unit where victims I found out later. I also had some relationship problems going on that would be better taken care of if I was not enlisted while taking care of them. By time I found out I was a victim of identity theft. My account was already negative $5,000.00 and steady getting higher. So I went to my company NCO/CO and asked if they could help me out and they came up with a way to release me from service without it looking bad on the unit and with minimal damage to myself and career. SO I could re-enlist in a few years after everything worked out. I was almost 19 when I went through my SFAS course. I had went to basic two weeks after I turned 17. Sorry rambling on there for a minute. I miss the ARMY But would not change anything that has happened to me. It helped make me the person I am today.

J&T Kiev
11-27-2007, 01:26 AM
Actually I went through selection and was one of 13 that was selected. I was already a ranger and stationed at 10th but was waiting for my Q course. When I had Identity theft from an S-1 clerk as well as a few others in my unit where victims I found out later. I also had some relationship problems going on that would be better taken care of if I was not enlisted while taking care of them. By time I found out I was a victim of identity theft. My account was already negative $5,000.00 and steady getting higher. So I went to my company NCO/CO and asked if they could help me out and they came up with a way to release me from service without it looking bad on the unit and with minimal damage to myself and career. SO I could re-enlist in a few years after everything worked out. I was almost 19 when I went through my SFAS course. I had went to basic two weeks after I turned 17. Sorry rambling on there for a minute. I miss the ARMY But would not change anything that has happened to me. It helped make me the person I am today.

I'm very happy to hear it worked out for you ..for me the Army was my life, but after over 20 years of my wife toiling at the "hardest" job in the Army..Army wife(MOS MOM). I retired, and she and I went into business..now I to wouldn't go back and change the decision.

11-27-2007, 02:49 AM
But I have a question didn't you just say you where going to expand into cross country subcontracting, so we could all cut your lawns for you or something to that nature?

Hey, haven't we all bounced ideas off someone before? I personally have about 5 "strike gold" ideas a month.

It sucks seeing payup in everything!

11-27-2007, 03:03 AM

There is an Exmark dealer in my town that has a LCO about 1.5 hours away from here. There must be some payup in it for him as he drives it, and has his wife manage the LCO for him.

Personally I won't not buy from him because he has a LCO, infact, being he has one, and it is not directly in my area, he has been really good at giving me honest advice and helping me get started. He even has helped me find jobs.

But I think what others on here mentioned is correct. Once you get into selling, it will not take long and LCO profits will not be much in the grand scheme of things. At the very least, if your a dealer, your probably not gonna waste time on doing small lawns-- more like a 5 acre minumum.

Runner
11-27-2007, 08:36 AM
I pretty much disagree with most of the posts tat are leading ing the "conflict of interest" direction. Yes, I see the point you guys are saying, BUT, that is only by the commercial guys. You could cater to ALOT of homeowners (and some lco's). Also, you could look at it as a conflict within the two (selling home equipment / doing lawns) because it is one or the other. Well,...this really ISN'T a conflict, because YOU ARE DOING just that...one OR the other.
There are plenty of catering services that are more than happy to just supply the supplies (and food). We have suppliers around here like JB Supply, that is a huge seller of roofing products and construction materials. They do the work too, if you want. We have many landscape supply yards that do paver work and landscaping, or they will just supply US with what we need. Many have nurseries, too....we buy trees from them. A window company? They do installs...they also sell us the glass. Several of the guys that do asphalt sealing.....they buy from suppliers that guess what? Are in the sealcoating business as well. Many small auto repair facilities buy parts from dealers. the collision shops buy from dealers, as well...but the dealers have their own body shops. Guys that do construction, remodeling, and other work go to (and keep going) to Home Depot and Lowes, but HD and Lowes provide te same contract work. The list goes on and on. Let's face it...you are NOT going to cut all the grass in your county or state. so there is plenty more for lco's to do whether or not they come in and buy blades and trimmer string (or machines). Another thing you have to bare in mind, is that like auto dealers, their bread in butter is NOT in sales....it is in service. THIS is where your margin is.

newz7151
11-27-2007, 12:17 PM
Do you think they want to make a measly $400 a day profit mowing with all the headaches and in the end. It's way better to service the lcos and make thousands a day in profit.

:laugh::laugh::hammerhead::hammerhead::laugh::laugh:

daveintoledo
11-27-2007, 03:29 PM

im not buying from my competition.... there is a outfit here that mowes, and plows, and sells mowers and plows....

NO WAY