PDA

View Full Version : What are the best ZTR's and enclosed trailers?

personallawn
11-26-2007, 10:10 PM
What are the best types of ZTR's and enclosed trailers that are reliable and affordable?

Ryan

Raven386
11-26-2007, 10:12 PM
try the Search button. theres been many posts pertaining to this.

Grits
11-27-2007, 09:12 PM
That sure is a lot of up-front expense. Do you really NEED a ZTR and enclosed trailer. Could you start with a walk behind and open trailer? BIG price difference.

But to answer your question......dealer support is important. Most of the big name commercial Z's are good.

Exact Rototilling
11-29-2007, 01:20 AM
Unless you have tons of clients already lined up my advice is to start out with a commercial WB 36" and a decent pro-sumer or commercial 21" mower. You will need the smaller mowers anyway.

Case in point many enclosed smaller enclosed trailers with a ramp are only rated for 1,000 to 2,000 pounds ramp weight. Many riding mowers will exceed this spec. With a riding mower you want a serious enclosed trailer 7 to 8 feet wide tandem axle and longer than 10 feet.

I will be buying a single axle enclosed 6 x 12 with a max cargo capacity of 1800 or so. My trailer will be rarely loaded over 2,300 GVW. My limiting factor is my 85 Toyota Truck 4x4 with a pokey 4 cylinder and or my 91 4runner with a pokey V6. Both rigs are paid for. Both rigs can tow it but not leaving much to spare. Many would say I need a beefier trailer and truck. Well yes - I may go that route but I hate debt with a passion. I hate 0% financing far less but I still want to avoid it.

My plan is to see how 2008 goes before I jump off the deep end and go for broke with a primo ZTR. Maybe 2009.

3/4 Ton truck payment & ZTR payment only if I have explosive growth and I end up quitting my other business and give this my 100% attention instead of 80%. I've seen a few too many quitting the lawn care business ads in my local paper. "Paid $6,500 for landscape trailer will sell for $4,000" "ZTR paid $9,800 will sell for $7,200 motivated seller".
:waving:

bohiaa
11-30-2007, 09:46 AM
I started with the Exmark ZTR. the 52"

around my area there is no such thing as a 1/4 acer lot.

as far as inclosed trailers, I wouldn't have one for the lawn Business.

Nate@TLCS
12-01-2007, 03:14 PM
Get yourself a good self-propelled push mower, a good lightweight set of hand tools (echo) and a 36" walk-behind to start with. Run your walkbehind to china before you buy a zero turn. Cheapest new good enough ztr is exmark. At about $7k that is alot for a new guy. get a good w/b. Get an open trailer as well, a good 5x8 is about $600 here. Also, if you plan on doing any fertilizer/weed control or using ANY lawn care chemicals, make sure you don't have to be licensed to apply. And if you do.... get licensed before you ever say you will do something for someone. Even if "it is only roundup"!!! hope I helped.

supercuts
12-02-2007, 01:57 PM
i believe his post was on which to buy and nobody has answered him. if he feels an enclosed trailer is the way to go then so be it. i have one and love it, it acts a garage too. as far as best ones, if you've done a search you'll see me posting time and time again to pick a good reliable dealer and pick from his brands. when the mower breaks and you need to get it fixed fast, a good dealer will take care of you. much more important to me than brand choice. as far a trailers, i run pace, haulmark seem good. many out there. make sure it has the ramp door.