PDA

View Full Version : Fall Clean Up Question

Landscape89
11-26-2007, 11:38 PM
I have 6-9 fall clean ups to get done in the next 5 days. It seems like so much work with little time to work with. I say this because I checked the 10 day forecast and they said its gonna get really cold and possibly snowy here next week. Every year when I do clean up, I am very particular as to every leaf has to be off the lawn before we mow. This year, to speed things up, I think I am gonna just get the heavy leaves and then mow over the rest of the stuff to suck em up even if it means going over the area twice. The equipment I have to work with:

21" John Deere Mower
8 HP Little Wonder Blower
2 Redmax BP's
Rakes, Tarps, Barrels

Is this a good idea and time saver? Any advice for the beds too would be great! Thanks!

Dodge Truck
11-26-2007, 11:45 PM
I think its a waste of time to get every single leaf off the lawns before mowing, we always get most of the leaves off and then mow the lawn to suck up the rest and give it the finished look, works very effeciently for us, however we have larger mowers...but i would still do the same thing

bustin88
11-26-2007, 11:47 PM
We are in the same boat with the cold, windy, rainy, and snowy weather... We try and get all the heavy stuff up and whatever is left over - we hit with the lazers... I am very picky on what it looks like in the end, but if I wait for every leaf to fall to clean it up I would most likely be there until January with rake in hand and blower on back in 2 feet of snow... good luck!

Currier
11-26-2007, 11:48 PM
I try to get as many leaves on the lawn as possible then suck them up with the Walker.

Raven386
11-27-2007, 01:59 AM
we tried to suck up the leaves with the ultra vac. didnt work to well. its also been raining so everything is soaked. today we finally got to use our load handler, just blew everything into a pile at the curb and shoveled it into the truck. then went over the lawn to suck up anything that was left and give it 1 last cut for the season.

MOW ED
11-27-2007, 09:20 AM
I am thinking you are working on relatively small lawns with a 21 Sean. Nothing wrong with that but it will slow you down. Can you convert the mower to mulch and chop the leaves up? Rakes tarps and barrels are slow going but its possible. I will just say that you probably can be 50 to 75% faster than you currently are but you don't have a large WB or Z wiich really limits you. Don't focus on perfection, just do the best you can and run to the next one.
Hopefully you are getting paid well for your effort. Its amazing how leaf season can make open your eyes to just how much is involved on a commercial basis. Take care.

Landscape89
11-27-2007, 11:24 PM
9 Clean ups to do in 4 days. Can you say Stressed?! :dizzy:

grassleg
11-27-2007, 11:32 PM
depending on how many guys youve got....blow all of course, hop on the mower, mulch it once, then suck it up....if there are other people get them to pick a spot and start tarping it.no matter how little an area they can do by the time you get there, thats less in your bagger, thats more time suckin up other stuff that needs it

NNJLandman
11-28-2007, 01:10 AM
Thats it I have about 15-20 left to complete, about 10 of which I havn't even been too once, but the weather has reallly been in the pits. Normally we hit the accounts everyother week, that didn't work so good, so looks like we'll easily be working up til x-mas if the snow holds out...the cold doesn't mean a thing.

topsites
11-28-2007, 02:54 AM
Yeah, I never do a perfectly spotless clean up the first time, get most of them, plan on coming back to finish it up one last time.

It's right about where I've gotten up like 98% of them or what have you, not sure how to describe it but it's at that point where it would literally take twice as long to get every single last leaf up, right about there is where I cut things short. Most of them are out of the way, the yard looks green in comparison, that's it.

Look up in the trees, now if they are all down fine, but otherwise don't kill yourself.

lawnguyland
11-28-2007, 06:48 AM
Thats it I have about 15-20 left to complete, about 10 of which I havn't even been too once, but the weather has reallly been in the pits. Normally we hit the accounts everyother week, that didn't work so good, so looks like we'll easily be working up til x-mas if the snow holds out...the cold doesn't mean a thing.

The only problem with the cold is that if it's below freezing the leaves may be frozen to the turf and impossible to clean- I'm going into emergency battle mode to kick as much ass as possible in the next 4-5 days before the arctic comes to town- good luck everyone!

supercuts
11-28-2007, 07:02 AM
we have 64 cleanups left. granted we've been to them all 2x already and managed to get 8 done yesterday, but that doesnt beat monday snow. you cant blame yourself for mother nature, the leaves came down late and the snow is coming early. i tell my customer to deal with it, as stated in my proposals

TREEGUARD
11-28-2007, 07:36 AM
We have to get 9 done in a day or I get pissed off

Bedell Property Mgmt.
11-28-2007, 12:19 PM
do the best you can...

i'm soo done with this weather in michigan already!

Blink74
11-28-2007, 09:24 PM
We usually blow them to the curb for city pick up. I was out on an acre with lots of trees today and you couldn't even see the grass when we arrived. We used a backpack and a walk behind blower to blow most of it into the woods then double cut it to mulch the rest. It took about 5 man hrs. The leaves were wet and we had to get creative to get them all moved. It was cold and I was exhausted when we got done. The whole time I was thinking, "There's got to be a better way". Next year I may consider buying a bagging system for the 61" mowers. Although, is bagging even an option on that big of a property?

Tommyboy
11-29-2007, 12:03 AM
That's real dedication- using a 21" mower for clean-ups. We use Lazers and a Scag bagger, but the technique is the same, basically. Blow the house and beds out good into the lawn, then we chop them up some with the Lazer and pick them up with the Scag and bring them to the vacuum box on the truck. You're never going to get every last one, and my view is that pretty is not the object at this point in the year - effectiveness is. Days are short and lawns will soon be snow covered. The fact that you didn't put down real nice stripes won't be noticed, but the leafless lawn will.

Chuckie
11-29-2007, 01:16 AM
We usually blow them to the curb for city pick up. I was out on an acre with lots of trees today and you couldn't even see the grass when we arrived. We used a backpack and a walk behind blower to blow most of it into the woods then double cut it to mulch the rest. It took about 5 man hrs. The leaves were wet and we had to get creative to get them all moved. It was cold and I was exhausted when we got done. The whole time I was thinking, "There's got to be a better way". Next year I may consider buying a bagging system for the 61" mowers. Although, is bagging even an option on that big of a property?

Can you say Cyclone Rake.............

We mow the property once with no bagging system to downsize the leaves and clippings, then we take our 60 inch exmark with the ultravac impeller still attatched to the deck and hook that impeller to our cyclone rake hose which is attatched to the cylone vacume an impeller system.......and look out. Spotless lawn when we are done. You do not waste alot of time dumping because of the volume of dense debris you are sucking up. With both impellers running, the machine does not bog down one bit. Love it

mowtivations lawncare
11-29-2007, 01:27 AM
wow. im really in awe of how some folk get leaves up. i helped a guy yesterday that had 5 people with backpack blowers, tarps, and rakes and he had a dixie chopper with a bagger and it was a fairly quick process. alot of hard work but im sure he made a killing. i went out and bought me a troy-bilt 4 n 1 shredder mulcher vacuum thingamajig and hopefully i can start making some money with all the flyers i've passed out over the past few days.

Chuckie
11-29-2007, 01:33 AM
wow. im really in awe of how some folk get leaves up. i helped a guy yesterday that had 5 people with backpack blowers, tarps, and rakes and he had a dixie chopper with a bagger and it was a fairly quick process. alot of hard work but im sure he made a killing. i went out and bought me a troy-bilt 4 n 1 shredder mulcher vacuum thingamajig and hopefully i can start making some money with all the flyers i've passed out over the past few days.

You are going to hate that thing.....so keep your reciept handy. 4 in 1 is the problem. not a big enough unit to do all 4 things. If you want something to clean leaves, buy something that does just that.

Blink... I feel for you man. Two of my guys would have been outta that acre in a little over half an hour...45 minutes tops. Cyclone Rake awesome

mowtivations lawncare
11-29-2007, 01:59 AM
You are going to hate that thing.....so keep your reciept handy. 4 in 1 is the problem. not a big enough unit to do all 4 things. If you want something to clean leaves, buy something that does just that.

Blink... I feel for you man. Two of my guys would have been outta that acre in a little over half an hour...45 minutes tops. Cyclone Rake awesome
wow. i bought it from a buddy that purchased a Walker leaf vac. i only paid 200 bux for it though. i'm only wanting it to mulch the leaves. i couldnt care less about the vacuum hose or the chipper. i have my blower for that and im not chipping anything. hopefully i can make a lil money with it. damn. i'm depressed now lol

topsites
11-29-2007, 02:02 AM
I finally got some good pictures that do that push blower justice, I did the below job today in 2 hours 10 minutes...
The first two pictures are of the front yard, that took an hour, worst part was that wooded area in the 1st pic, plus it was a mild uphill.

I used the pushblower plus a backpack and a handheld, sometimes the backpack by itself and other times the handheld with it, the rest of it all with the pushblower.

The third pic is of the pile from one angle, doesn't really show it thou.
The last picture really shows that blower working on a nasty pile, that's just from the front thou the back wasn't as bad, but I would've never got through it as fast without that billy goat.

The pile is waist high near the center, the push blower just sheared right through that crap.

Anyhow:

mowtivations lawncare
11-29-2007, 02:04 AM
please forgive my ignorance, but what exactly does the push blower do that the backpack blower wont do?

Chuckie
11-29-2007, 02:10 AM
I finally got some good pictures that do that push blower justice, I did the below job today in 2 hours 10 minutes...
The first two pictures are of the front yard, that took an hour, worst part was that wooded area in the 1st pic, plus it was a mild uphill.

I used the pushblower plus a backpack and a handheld, sometimes the backpack by itself and other times the handheld with it, the rest of it all with the pushblower.

The last picture really shows that blower working on a nasty pile, that's just from the front thou the back wasn't as bad, but I would've never got through it as fast without that billy goat.

The pile is waist high near the center, the push blower just sheared right through that crap.

Anyhow:

where are the pics...........

topsites
11-29-2007, 02:13 AM
please forgive my ignorance, but what exactly does the push blower do that the backpack blower wont do?

Look at the size of that pile in the last picture.
It's the same pile as in the 2nd-to-last one.
Look at it good, that's a big nasty pile of leaves.
You could bury that blower in it, only thing you'd still see is the handle.
And it's never a problem until it gets like that.

Then once you get a pile going like that one, it's always a royal PITA to get it to go anywhere.
That dang thing has to go into the woods in the back, the ones hiding that white house...

Now imagine blowing at it from the bottom, right at ground level.
You wouldn't move that pile with the strongest backpack blower.
You'd have to start at the top and take off layers, it would take 5-10 minutes to move that pile a few feet.
Or use rake + tarp (ugh), I'd guess that's somewhere between ten to twenty 8x10 loads.

With the pushblower I shear off sections, punching a hole through the pile and then the rest caves down and it's gone in a woosh.

It is so strong if you step in front of the chute not paying attention it about knocks you on your tail.

2,400 cfm's at 200mph,
No comparison to the br600's 700cfm's.
It does at least twice the work of the strongest backpack + handheld combination.
$60 an hour, almost no competition and customers still think it's expensive.
I can't get much past $35-40 with a backpack, unless it doesn't pile up like that.

mowtivations lawncare
11-29-2007, 02:16 AM
Look at the size of that pile in the last picture.
It's the same pile as in the 2nd-to-last one.
Look at it good, that's a big nasty pile of leaves.

Now imagine blowing at it from the bottom, right at ground level.
You wouldn't move that pile with the strongest backpack blower.
You'd have to start at the top and take off layers, it would take 5-10 minutes to move that pile a few feet.
With the pushblower it shears off entire sections, it punches a hole through the pile and then the rest caves down and is gone in a woosh.

It is so strong if you step in front of the chute not paying attention it about knocks you on your tail.

2,400 cfm's at 200mph,
No comparison to the br600's 700cfm's.
It does at least twice the work of the strongest backpack + handheld combination.
$60 an hour, zero backpack competition on this one. oh ok. i see. i dont have any plans on doing any yards THAT big so hopefully my lil troy bilt leaf vac and husqvarna bt150 do the trick...we'll see. Damn i cant wait for snow!!!:cry:

corey4671
11-29-2007, 03:43 PM

Anyhow:

Awesome man! You're my friggin hero! Is that a Billy Goat WB? What HP?

Landscape89
12-02-2007, 12:38 AM
My last 2 are gonna get done tomorrow. A few hours before the snow arrives.
:clapping:

humble1
12-02-2007, 02:09 AM
my redmax 8000 did what my walk blowers did i sold off my billy goats and little wonders.