PDA

View Full Version : winter work

GradeMan
11-27-2007, 12:14 AM
How do you know when it's to cold to go to work?
What do yah think of workin in the cold to get debt payed of faster?
How hard do think it will be on the rigging?

ksss
11-27-2007, 12:25 AM
I found last year that minus 42 below zero was my limit. Believe it or not my excavator even started at that temp, although nothing else did.

Gravel Rat
11-27-2007, 12:42 AM
Here on the lower West Coast anything below -5 celcius is too frigging cold. When the long under comes out of the drawer you know its getting cold out.

I would take rain over cold or snow.

GradeMan
11-27-2007, 12:45 AM
Sounds like you bc babies dont like that nice crisp cold air? The air that freezes your nose hairs!!!!!!!!!!!!!! What do you think of alberta gravel rat?

Gravel Rat
11-27-2007, 01:07 AM
I would rather put on the rubber boots,rain pants and jacket than putting on long underwear and winter clothes. We never get aclimated to the temperature it can be warm then the next day the temperature drops for a couple days then it warms up.

A friend works and lives in Fort Mac he says its so cold there any exposed skin gets frostbite in seconds to minutes :dizzy:

GradeMan
11-27-2007, 01:09 AM
I bet he makes alot of cash tho

Scag48
11-27-2007, 02:50 AM
We don't do much, my dad does improvements to the motel he owns. Apparently they're installing a new hot tub and renovating a room to use as a conference room.

I applied for a job running a snow cat grooming ski trails at a local hill. A friend of mine is my age and he's going on his 3rd year up there. Hopefully I get the job, it'll be something interesting to try out.

paponte
11-27-2007, 07:05 AM
You know it's too cold when equipment doesn't want to start on ya, or when you start breaking teeth!

RockSet N' Grade
11-27-2007, 07:40 AM
I live in cold country and if I get a chance to do a job.......I do it. Warm your machines up and don't run your excavator or skid until they are warm, even if it takes longer than you think it should. Cold weather can be brutal on equipment and cold hydraulic fluid being worked can cause breakage in pumps.

Construct'O
11-27-2007, 08:55 AM
I live in cold country and if I get a chance to do a job.......I do it. Warm your machines up and don't run your excavator or skid until they are warm, even if it takes longer than you think it should. Cold weather can be brutal on equipment and cold hydraulic fluid being worked can cause breakage in pumps.

Tell me about it!!!!!!!

Trencher broke down and i had to leave the wheel in the air because of electric over hydraulic valves,and having a electrical problem.

The wheel is heavy and the lift cyclinder and tilt cyclinder is holding it up.Here it is cold and the lift cyclinder is noted for shearing off bolts and letting the cyclinder come a part,because oil expanding when lift up to the top,and cold!

So woke up at 4 this morning and guess what thought came into my mind?????

Hoping!!!! it doesn't shear the bolts.So needless i'm up and killing time before i go face the damages this morning.

Got new switch to fix problem hopefully,as far as the electrical problems goes.Not looking forward to fixing cyclinder out on the sidehill in the cold!

Don't you just love it .COLD!!!!!! weather.:rolleyes:

Had to jump the truck yesterday morning to move the dozer,so there went part of yesterdays time.BURRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!:walking:

GradeMan
11-27-2007, 10:09 AM
Tell me about it!!!!!!!

Trencher broke down and i had to leave the wheel in the air because of electric over hydraulic valves,and having a electrical problem.

The wheel is heavy and the lift cyclinder and tilt cyclinder is holding it up.Here it is cold and the lift cyclinder is noted for shearing off bolts and letting the cyclinder come a part,because oil expanding when lift up to the top,and cold!

So woke up at 4 this morning and guess what thought came into my mind?????

Hoping!!!! it doesn't shear the bolts.So needless i'm up and killing time before i go face the damages this morning.

Got new switch to fix problem hopefully,as far as the electrical problems goes.Not looking forward to fixing cyclinder out on the sidehill in the cold!

Don't you just love it .COLD!!!!!! weather.:rolleyes:

Had to jump the truck yesterday morning to move the dozer,so there went part of yesterdays time.BURRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!:walking:

So what do you call cold ?

bobcat_ron
11-27-2007, 12:27 PM
Here in the Fraser Valley I will work in temps low enough to have to fire up the skidsteer 30 minutes before hitting the jobsite, I never leave the parking brake on my F-450 over night, just block the wheels as the frost glues the brake to the drive shaft.
The work with the bigger equipment will grind to a halt when that blasted North Easterner wind kicks up, idlers and rollers freeze up on the excavators and dozer and the frost is too deep to warrant digging anything up with out leaving it on a plie and treating it like a pile of concrete.
Most of the smaller jobs I get this time of year is inside dairy barns where it's always a balmy 10 degrees celcius, so I look forward to the interior jobs that call for the skidsteer or mini excavator.

mikecaldwell1204
11-27-2007, 05:24 PM
Luckily I am in Florida so it never stops. I do believe today was in the mid 80's. I don't know how you guys do it in below freezing weather.

Construct'O
11-27-2007, 07:59 PM

When you hands and feet get cold enough to tingle from the cold.Especially when your out on the north hillside with the wind gust thirty plus mechanicing on your machine,like today.

Worked all day and still not fixed?????

I know nothing compared to Canada,where your from,but cold for me just the same.:usflag:

bobcat_ron
11-27-2007, 09:14 PM

When it's too cold to pee.

GradeMan
11-28-2007, 10:16 AM
I will agree with bobcat ron, but They are offering big money to go out in the "it's to cold to pee" in northern Alberta. What would it take to get you guys to work in -40c? does the amount of money matter?

RockSet N' Grade
12-01-2007, 08:53 AM
GradeMan..........you have a phone number for that big bucks -40c. job in Canada? And, yea, the amount of money matters..........if it is big and enough.......I'm outa here and headed north.

Construct'O
12-01-2007, 10:07 AM
GradeMan..........you have a phone number for that big bucks -40c. job in Canada? And, yea, the amount of money matters..........if it is big and enough.......I'm outa here and headed north.

Rock!!!! You might want to pick up KSSS on the way up he has experience with those temps and the starting procedure for -42 degree equipment!!!!!!

You might want to reconsider things,you might need more then a new excavator or (tool) by the time you get back.

Read above post.

I'm headed out to ice covered machine,roads,this morning with falling freezing rain.Thinking i need to get my trencher out of the ground that i left in there last night.:hammerhead:

Have a good trip and take care,just in case we don't heard from you again.:usflag:

RockSet N' Grade
12-01-2007, 10:29 AM
Constructo......I just went and picked up a machine that I left on a job........it's snowin' like a big dog here - weatherman said its supposed to be warm and sunny, so you know its gotta be just the opposite. Starting procedure for -42? Shoot, that's easy.......just take a hard hat, fill it with diesel, put it under the machine and light it to warm 'er up... :) Heard that one from a railroad guy the other day. I lived in Cody, Wyoming for a spell where it was a little chilly - left skin on metal once and learned that lesson quick. I was thinking of renting two motel rooms - one for me and the other to store my equipment overnight........may need to make a few modifications to the hotel door and ceiling, but if rock stars can do it, why can't I? Now, that's logic for ya isn't it? Naw, all my equipment is in barns or under shelter somewhere.......it's repair and fix it time and maybe a job here and there during winter.........we will see......Just burnin' a few minutes on the web while the shop warms up to go out and start saturday projects......

lifetree
12-01-2007, 11:21 AM
... They are offering big money to go out in the "it's to cold to pee" in northern Alberta. What would it take to get you guys to work in -40c ? does the amount of money matter ?

GradeMan -- How much are they paying up there to work in that weather ? Please be specific !!

YellowDogSVC
12-01-2007, 01:50 PM
Luckily I am in Florida so it never stops. I do believe today was in the mid 80's. I don't know how you guys do it in below freezing weather.

yeah we work year round but if my bones hurt too much, I will do paperwork. I prefer not to work when it is wet and drizzly. Gets sticky in this clay so I catch up on movies, repairs, errands, at sleep on days like we are having today. Below freezing sucks. It's rare here but happens. If the sun is out, which is common with a freeze here, we will just bundle up and head out. It'll usually thaw by noon.

GradeMan
12-02-2007, 07:37 PM
Must be some nice to have that problem, I would still be in shorts!!!!!!!!!!! Ha HA