PDA

View Full Version : Turf Flyier

traviswalker007
11-27-2007, 10:51 AM
Seems As Though This Magazine Is Quickly Turning Into A Sales Flyier. I Have Only Seen 2 Or 3 Articles On Lawn Maintenance, The Rest Seems To Be Irrigation And Large Buisness Owners. I Am Becoming Disapointed Beacuse The Majority Of Lawn Maintenance Guys On Her Are Under 500,000 In Sales, No Disrespect But What About Us. Weres The Small Buisness Owner Articles At, We Are The Ones Who Buy All Those Weed Wackers, And Blowers And Everything Else. I Have Yet To See An Article About A Local Guy, Or An Article About Getting New Accounts Or Keeping Old Ones. The Entire Mag Is Nothing But A Big Sales Pitch....weres The Turf In That. How About Ideas, Like How To Strap Down Mowers, Were To Mount Your Racks, Trailers..whats Being Used Today What Works...what Dont..owner Reports On Hustler, Toro, Ect...whats The Deal Here..will Anybody Ever Come Up With A Magazine For Us???

TurfEditor
11-27-2007, 05:29 PM
Let’s see . . .

A quick scan of the last six months shows we’ve published, among other things:

Field Tests -
Tanaka TBC-260PFL Extended Reach Trimmer/Brush Cutter
Dixie Chopper Xcalibur
Gravely XZ
Great Dane Surfer and Super Surfer
Allen Hover Mower

Buying Guides -
Turfgrass Seed
Topdressers, Spreaders and Seeders
Blowers and Vacs
Soil Amendments and Conditioners
Chippers, Chain Saws and Brush Cutters
Disease & Weed Control Products
Spraying Equipment

Features -
Are You Covered?
Make sure you're fully insured

Zero-turn Mower Deaths Can Be Prevented
Cutting grass safely

Multipurpose Shrubs
What it takes to make them great

The H-2B Debate
Fighting for limited seasonal worker visas

This only looks at our national section. Each regional section has several articles, too – often focusing on how small lawncare operators have become successful.

Traviswalker007, assuming you get the Central edition, you've seen (among other things). . .

People and Profitable Work
The keys to business success
(about a small, local company)

Loyalty Lawn Care Keeps on Growing
Clear communication is critical

Creating Landscape Space

The Future of Buffalograss
New lines promise higher seed yield

All Decked Out
Recent improvements in cutting decks

Sign of the Times
Three generations of change in the power equipment business
(about a local equipment dealer)

Safety on a Budget
Ideas for companies with limited resources

Growing with the Komets
From school bus driver to grounds technician

Traveling for Automatic Deductions
(tax info for small business operator)

The Great Cover-Up
Controlling erosion with blankets, mats and geosynthetics

Small Town, Big Success

Planting Under Established Trees
Profit center or problem?

Our advertising to editorial space ratio has been the same since we started -- It fluctuates a few points either way, but over all it ends up around 60% ads to 40% editorial. Every issue of the magazine will have between 10 and 15 FEATURE articles.

Are you reading the same magazine we’re publishing?

David C.
Exec. Editor

traviswalker007
11-27-2007, 07:44 PM
i see you did your homework!!, so lets see. How many articles have you done on comapnys with less than 500.000 in sales??? how many articles have you done on what works best on the crews, and not some trial run on a 15000 dollar mower?? weres the articles on preventive maintenance tatics?? all i see is stuff on how to grow grass on some 10million dollar golf course and a few reviews on trimmers and mowers..how many pages are dedicated to mower safety?? or just safety in general?? over 3/4 of your magazine is dedicated to selling stuff. People and profitable work..well let me guess over a million in sales with over 60 employees..now how does that relate to the other half..and i doubt any of us under that is doing any type of "up on a gren roof" your magizine caters to the corperate landscaper, the only article that even compared to us was that was the first isuue with stihl...awsome article. now im not badmouthing, im sure the big corperates need the info to make more money while they squeeze the little guys out..advertizing pays the bill i know but your selling us out. I think alot of us would like to see some more focus on the smaller landscaper and what there doing to grow, to contribute, and build on something. I use to call the post office about my magazine when it was late, and now i dont really care if it comes at all.

kathyu
11-28-2007, 06:47 AM
traviswalker,
Why don't you write up an article and submit it for publication? We have only freelance writers. I would highly recommend that you get someone to proof read it first though. If you have something interesting to write about, maybe you will be in Turf magazine.

JonP
11-28-2007, 05:34 PM
Geez there texaswalkerranger. Seems to me your getting all bent out of shape for nothing. Why dont you just move on to a different publisher or magazine?

dmc337
01-06-2008, 09:11 AM
Sounds to me like he is having a bit of trouble running his business - instead of switching magazines, perhaps he should switch businesses. I am a small business doing much less than 500k a year and enjoy Turf Magazine. Yes, some of the articles and products are out of my range or need, but there are plenty of articles that address my business. They cant ALL address us little guys - then the big guys would be complaining! I too agree that if you have ideas, write them up and submit them - be part of the solution...not the problem. Attitude is a big part of a successful business - perhaps that would make a great article. (I just might write that one for you, Kathy. I have found that in this business, the RIGHT attitude gets you the business)

B. L. Landscaping
01-16-2008, 12:32 PM
I like the magazine keep up the good work.

kathyu
01-16-2008, 04:47 PM
(I just might write that one for you, Kathy. I have found that in this business, the RIGHT attitude gets you the business)

That would be true in ANY business, or any facet of life, I think. Let me know when you send the article in, I'll see if I can pull some strings.:rolleyes:

I like the magazine keep up the good work.

Thank you!

:usflag::usflag:

mattfromNY
01-16-2008, 04:56 PM
Just a suggestion to add for an article that affects 90% of us, maybe its already been reported, if it was I missed it... Something about the newest DOT rules/ regulations. I am in NY, and recently got stopped by DOT, many rules have been changing b/c NY had its own set of rules, and wasn't following Federal rules. Recently, NY began adopting the federal regulations, and there is a lot of change to the rules. Maybe an article just discussing some of the more common regulations, would help out the smaller guys to inform them of what they need to be legal, and may be a reminder to the bigger guys to check their equipment/ procedures.
Just a suggestion.
Thanks,
Matt.