PDA

View Full Version : Need Help in a Bad Way!!

richter24
11-27-2007, 03:40 PM
I have done everything I need to do to start my business. My problem is, I am unable to purchase a truck right now. Is there any way I can pull a small trailor with my car? All I will be pulling for now is my snow blower, or my rider. I have a 2004 Chrysler Seabring...can I attach like a hitch or something on it? I see cars all the time pulling trailers even bigger than mine. Also is it something I'd be able to instal myself?

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated. You guys are great...

again I am new to the biz....Licensed, Insured, legal...ready to work.

chillman
11-27-2007, 04:05 PM
You can probably tow a small trailer with your car. Please take no offense but I would be a little worried about the image portrayed, It would not look very professional. I would probably trade the car in and get a truck of some kind. Just my opinion.

richter24
11-27-2007, 04:13 PM
Nah, no offense at all. have some shakey credit i need to work on. i figured i would just tell people why waste gas in the truck just to pull a blower when i can save gas using the car. not that it matters, it is a nice car.

daveintoledo
11-27-2007, 04:26 PM
looks pretty bad, not to say you are a lwoballer, but that is how it will look to the general public..... they wont take you serious

one thing, if your planning on using a snow blower , and trailoring it, where are you going to park the trailor when you do the driveway.... you cant park in the driveway, and you cant leave it in the street...... the municipalities will be plowing, and the streets are kind of narrow... it really isnt a good idea...

trade in the car on a pickup.....

richter24
11-27-2007, 04:54 PM
Agreed...great point. Definately not a lowballer, I'd slit my own wrists if that were the case. I tried to get a 2003 Dakota, but the bank I have my loan through denied the application. truck was only like 13,000.00. which makes no sense to me, i traded a 2005 f-150 in last winter for the car and bought a 170,000.00 house, and got married. I may look into refinancing my car loan with my bank, and then try the trade in again.

Im kind of stuck in a rutt. I know i should see an accountant or something. i know this isnt doctor phil, but any ideas would help.

daveintoledo
11-27-2007, 04:59 PM
i refinances my old truck to pay for a new plow this year....my be worth looking into..you may even find a truck with a plow already on it..... and ditch the snow blower....

a secured loan of some sort....

echeandia
11-27-2007, 05:01 PM
Someone with poor credit should not be starting a business. Your situation can quickly deteriorate. I recommend you get a full time job.

richter24
11-27-2007, 05:06 PM
Thank you for your inspiring words echeandia. I am not a low life. I have a BA in business management and work 60+ hrs per week. Landscaping has always been a hobby and a dream of mine, so i am taking it furthur.
I recommend you not throw around insults on this site. Reputation means alot..dont forget that.

richter24
11-27-2007, 05:11 PM
"i refinances my old truck to pay for a new plow this year....my be worth looking into..you may even find a truck with a plow already on it..... and ditch the snow blower...."

Very good idea...I'll keep it in mind.

wooley99
11-27-2007, 05:13 PM
The towing capacity of your car is 1,000lbs. Below is a JC Whitney receiver hitch for your car. You can order the same thing at whatever auto parts place is near you.

Drag a small trailer with the car (and pay it off quickly) then trade it for a truck. The people who will think you're a lowballer or goofball are the established LCOs (your competitors and/or mentors). I rarely see my clients just the crap they left in their lawns.

Stay under 1,000lbs total weight of stuff and trailer. Your FWD car will pull it in the snow but stopping it is another thing.

http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/ProductBrowse?storeId=10101&Pr=p_Product.CATENTRY_ID%3A2004349&productId=2004349&catalogId=10101&N=111%2B2000%2B200728503%2B600002324&rlid=group_listing

DLAWNS
11-27-2007, 07:28 PM
I feel your pain with being in a rut due to credit. Been there done that. My suggestion is like you said exhaust all options on refinancing or going through your bank for the loan. You could always try a buy here pay here option but that should be avoided if you can help it. Your bank should be able to help you out.

loom-gen
11-28-2007, 09:38 PM
Where are you? I'll buy you a truck for x-mas if you are close. It would be a pile but would run ok. You can't find a 5-800 dollar truck? Really? Come work for me. Ill take care of you.

paul vroom
11-30-2007, 10:28 PM
It might be a long shot but there are people on craigslist that are looking to sell a truck and pick up a car due to the high price of gas. I have seen people willing to trade also. Maybe check it out, make a couple calls to someone selling and bring up the possibility of a trade. I don't know what your car is worth but if someone is selling a truck for 2000 and your car is worth 2800 someone might bite. Pulling with the car though probably wouldn't work out to good. If you end up needing to replace the transmission you would be stuck with no wheels. Good Luck!

lifetree
11-30-2007, 11:48 PM
Where are you? I'll buy you a truck for x-mas if you are close. It would be a pile but would run ok. You can't find a 5-800 dollar truck? Really? Come work for me. Ill take care of you.

I think he's looking for some serious advice !!

TGM
12-02-2007, 08:16 PM
an auto credit/buy here-pay here may get you a $5k truck (dakota, or whatever). it's not the best $ wise, but it will get you a truck.

packey
12-03-2007, 04:03 PM
Yes your car can pull a small trailer. It will be hard on the tranny and a rick you will have to calculate. I completely understand about the credit situation here is something to think about. your car's value do to gas prices is actually going to stabelize where as a truck like a reg cab v8 will start to drop. See if you can find a dealer to work with you to help you find a truck. Many of these dealers can also help you find financeing especailly if you are already making payments on the car. The other alternative is to see if you can sell the car out right for at leaste what you owe. if you can then do that. I am not trying to convince you to get rid of the car I just have been there. I used a 94 caravan for 2 years pulling mowers for a part time business. If you are fairly mechanicly inclined their is another option. you can buy a older truck that might need some minor work. You can useually find one for abouot 1000 -1500. It might not be pretty buy it will get the job done. However do not go this route if you can not fix it your self because a mechanic will eat your lunch in repair bills. Hey you may also try 5/3 bank they give loans with less that good credit with decent interest rates.

humble1
12-03-2007, 04:25 PM
I would say trade the car. Not slamming you here, if i were going to hire a landscaper, i would want him to have a truck. If i were hiring a carpenter i would want him to have power tools and a ladder. Do you have accounts yet? You could try a leasing company. Most of them are hard up in a slow economy. Hows wifeys credit. Could you swing a small equity loan on the house. Do you have anyone who will cosign a loan. First i would contact the local small biz admin. or score office they may have some advise or at least help you with a biz plan. I appreciate wanting to live the dream. I dream of getting sweaty with Pam Anderson, but lets face it i gotta be honest, not gonna happen.