PDA

View Full Version : 1 man augers

PUDGE
11-27-2007, 10:47 PM
The shovel is killing my back! I work alone and do small landscaping. I have seen the 1 man augers that some co. have and would like to hear from some people that have used one.

Runner
11-28-2007, 02:45 AM
They are easier to handle than the two man augers. I've used self contained units, and I've used trailing units like the Eager Beaver. It all depends on what you are going to be digging and how much at a time, I guess.

WeeDr
11-28-2007, 05:35 AM
Just from my experience, the time I used one my back has never hurt so bad, and it was like that for 2 days afterwards. I broke down and bought one for my tractor, but I know most people don't have a tractor. I would suggest renting one when you need it, or at first to see how you like it.

WeeDr.

topsites
11-28-2007, 05:00 PM
Hehehe why you think I've been talking about getting a compact tractor?

Yes sir, I think my shovels are fixing to rust, I know exactly what you speak of.

G.M.Landscaping
11-28-2007, 06:15 PM
I use one all the time for 2 gal and under. It saves so much time and is not a back breaker. I'll plug 15-20 holes, add the admenments, plant & backfill. Start over.

VO Landscape Design
11-28-2007, 06:48 PM
I use one all the time for 2 gal and under. It saves so much time and is not a back breaker. I'll plug 15-20 holes, add the admenments, plant & backfill. Start over.

What kind do you have and where did you get it from?? Solo operator here too but have some hole intense jobs coming in the spring.
VO

G.M.Landscaping
11-28-2007, 07:10 PM
I'm currentely using my friends. I kinda inheireted it. He bought it for some decks he was building for the posts. I borrowered one day and he said kept it until he needs it again. I've used it quite abit.

It's a Ardisam Earthquake brand. He said he bought it at Lowes for $200. I've never seen them sold there ever?

I know Northerntool.com sells them now for $230-$349. Then you have to buy the bits sepertely for around $110.

So he got a good deal if he only paid $200 for it.

loom-gen
11-28-2007, 08:19 PM
I love my echo for small jobs. One problem with it though. When you put the thing on the ground it starts at chest high or so. this is where the loose dirt is and digging is easy for the most part. When the head of the machine reaches the level of your staff-n-satchell, it hits a root or a rock causing the handle of the machine to kick over and ... you get the picture

VO Landscape Design
11-29-2007, 05:46 PM
I'm currentely using my friends. I kinda inheireted it. He bought it for some decks he was building for the posts. I borrowered one day and he said kept it until he needs it again. I've used it quite abit.

It's a Ardisam Earthquake brand. He said he bought it at Lowes for $200. I've never seen them sold there ever?

I know Northerntool.com sells them now for $230-$349. Then you have to buy the bits sepertely for around $110.

So he got a good deal if he only paid $200 for it.

Always great info here.
Thanks
VO

csl
11-29-2007, 05:52 PM
we bought a dingo and auger head this year and sold our bigger auger. now we can dig a 12" hole 16" deep in 8 seconds. honestly i can fire 3 employees now. and i think there are something like 180 different mini skid attachments. if you search hard you can find a great deal on one, and they are light enough to haul on most trailers.

Burkhart Lawn Care
11-30-2007, 08:35 AM
I got my earthquake at lowes also. I think mine was more like 200 for the engine and 200 or so for the bit. I bought a larger bit. LOVE IT It will kick your but if you use it all day.

swim
11-30-2007, 09:32 AM
The shovel is killing my back! I work alone and do small landscaping. I have seen the 1 man augers that some co. have and would like to hear from some people that have used one.

I have a one man auger and over all it is great. I use it mostly for fencing.
Pluses are:
Speeds up digging hole 20 or 30 times verses digging by hand in good soil by hand would take about 20 minutes. With auger maybe 1 minute.
Minuses are:
If there are allot of roots or rocks it can still take 10 or 15 minutes to dig a 3 foot hole and man you are tired.
When you are using it it requires allot of muscle.
If you are not holding on good it can come out of your hands and spin around and hit you.
When it hits a rock, it will beat you up.
When it hits a root, same thing.
It is a very tough job to hold onto, it is allot of work.

To sum up I would highly recommend one to speed up work. If you are scared to work hard do not get one because it will sit in storage and just take up space. If money was not an option I would get a tractor, skid steer, etc with it as an attachment. My father has one for his tractor and man that thing will drill a hole 3 feet deep in almost any soil in about 10 seconds.
I have had mine for 4 or 5 years. TSC model Earthquake. I think I paid about $200 for the engine and $100 for the bit.