PDA

View Full Version : Anyone tried or using diesels secret product to run veg. oil in their diesel?

Az Gardener
11-28-2007, 01:43 AM
I have seen this link in other threads and have not found anyone that actually tried the stuff.

For those of you who have not seen it it is an additive you mix with used vegetable oil. You then build this filtration system that costs about 150-200 in parts from H/D or Lowe's. Most of the stuff I saw in the video I think I already have lying around. then pump the concoction into your tank and away you go. They advertise the cost to be about .50 per gallon.

It looks suspicious but for 50 bucks I cant resist. I paid my money and have received the email video of the filtration system it is very quick and vague. The manual that comes with the additive product is supposed to give more precise directions with the video as an aid... We will see.

I will update you all when I get the stuff. I would still like anyone else's input that has tried it or knows someone who is?.

No, It is not bio diesel completely different stuff they stress this repeatedly.

PaulMoody
11-28-2007, 02:13 AM
I was wondering about that stuff myself. I just bought a diesel work truck to do the veggie conversion on. It's pretty interesting stuff. My dad recently did a conversion to his truck and built a oil filtration system. Seems to work pretty slick. I've seen the ads you refer to and would appreciate an update when you figure out if it's for real.

Paul

mvp services
11-28-2007, 07:45 AM
I have not seen this new stuff, but I have seen the Biodiesel in action. Our local farm where we dump leaves runs all their equipment on Bio. They brew it themselves in the barn and they save a ton of money. I'm thinking of going Bio diesel over the next few years in the trucks and mowers. It would be a great advertising campaign to be an enviromentally concious LCO.

GradeMan
11-28-2007, 10:28 AM
Please tell us how you make out, My only concern is that your truck would smell like Wendy's all the time. How much more would it cost to use new oil instead?

mojob
11-28-2007, 11:02 AM
I don't mean to hijack your thread, but have you given any thought about where you will get your used oil when everybody and their brother are using bio. I was giving it some thought the other day and came up with the idea of contracting with some restaurants before the mad rush. At this point, I think the restaurants are giving the stuff away, but that will end when the demand goes up. If you were willing to pay a small fee, I bet some restaurants would be willing to sign a contract so that you'd be their only used oil removal person. Anyway, just a thought.

PaulMoody
11-28-2007, 12:06 PM
I've been out looking for waste vegetable oil(WVO) lately and have found a few small sources. The key seems to be walking into small owner operated facilities such as bars and family owned resturants where you can talk to the decision maker directly. Tell them what you want it for. Most people think it's pretty cool. If they have a contract with a grease removal company they may still be willing to let you have a cubie or 2 of oil on the side. If you can get 3-4 people to do that you could have 40 gallons a week to filter and burn. The best stuff to look for is a non hydrogenated oil like soybean. This will not thicken as easily. Right now I am looking for it for free. However as the demand increases we will need to pay for it but it will still be alot cheaper than regular Diesel. I think our type of business puts us in a unique position to barter for it. If it comes to it a person can find places with a small landscape and trade maintenance for their oil. If they put out alot of oil each week it could be a great deal. I think lots of places would jump at that. Right now I am working toward converting my truck to run on straight wvo. The company in my town that sells the kits and does installs also sells filtered wvo ready to burn. At this time he will deliver it to my location and fill up 50 gallon drums for 1.95 per gallon. Not bad. After the conversion is done it is a huge savings. I ran the numbers and figured I could spend $20,000 on a newer truck and conversion and pay for it in a few years on fuel savings. My plan is to do the wvo in my converted system and biodiesel in the regular tank for start ups and perging the system at shut downs. As for the smell, regular diesel makes me sick. I like the french fry smell. Hey! How about oil from Krispy Kreme? Wouldn't that exhaust go great with the coffee in the morning.
Paul

CleanCutMowers
11-28-2007, 02:04 PM
Here is the link to the one I am looking at getting. Anyone got any better prices?
http://www.goldenfuelsystems.com/

scholzee
11-28-2007, 03:36 PM
People who have went on the news have been busted and their trucks taken away depending on the state.

1) Producing fuel without proper permits.

2) Operating a vehicle on highway without paying road tax, same as using off road diesel in your truck on the road.

stroker51
11-28-2007, 08:26 PM
People who have went on the news have been busted and their trucks taken away depending on the state.

1) Producing fuel without proper permits.

2) Operating a vehicle on highway without paying road tax, same as using off road diesel in your truck on the road.

isnt that great? Just another government cash-grab. We are burning ultra low sulfur diesel that isn't as efficient so that the air will be cleaner, but we will burn more fuel, and perfectly environmentally sound fuel gets shut down over things like that. The worst part is, right now the percentage of trucks running the highway on home-brew fuel is so small that they probably wouldn't even notice the difference in revenue.

paponte
11-28-2007, 08:34 PM
Good ol' corrupt government of the United F'ing States. Buy Diesel... don't take from the pockets of our almighty government!!! Unreal.

Az Gardener
12-01-2007, 03:14 AM
Well I got the package today. You build a filtration system with 2 pumps (they didn't explain why you need two pumps in a row) and 2 different types of filters plus a water extractor filter. After the oil is filtered you add some small % of other ingredients, some off the shelf and of course their product. Mix it all together and pump it into the tank, looks fairly simple.

I am not going to give up all the ingredients, it dosen't seem ethical. One additive we did find surprising was regular gasoline, up to 10% in cold weather.

It will probably take a week to get this together and mix up a batch. We are still working here but I will let you all know how it goes.

LawnScapers of Dayton
12-01-2007, 09:08 AM
Az you are a ground breaker...........good luck..........where are you getting your oil??

Az Gardener
12-01-2007, 10:22 AM
Family friend is the manager of a upscale restaurant. I have gotten some oil from him in the past for testing other products, it is very clean.

lifetree
12-01-2007, 11:37 AM
We just need someone to come up with a way to do this for regular engines (i.e.-non-diesel) !!

Dirty Water
12-01-2007, 12:19 PM
Well I got the package today. You build a filtration system with 2 pumps (they didn't explain why you need two pumps in a row) and 2 different types of filters plus a water extractor filter. After the oil is filtered you add some small % of other ingredients, some off the shelf and of course their product. Mix it all together and pump it into the tank, looks fairly simple.

I am not going to give up all the ingredients, it dosen't seem ethical. One additive we did find surprising was regular gasoline, up to 10% in cold weather.

It will probably take a week to get this together and mix up a batch. We are still working here but I will let you all know how it goes.

10% regular gasoline will keep the WVO from congealing in the winter, but I would use the highest octane gasoline you can find (100 Octane Navgas). The higher the octane the harder gasoline is to ignite (Thought Topsites will tell you otherwise because he is an idiot). You don't want the gasoline predetonating from the cylinder heat.

Actually, I would not use it all, I've seen diesels ping bad when someone accidentally mixed just a little bit of gasoline in the diesel.

LawnScapers of Dayton
12-01-2007, 12:31 PM
sounds like you are set for oil........I can't wait to hear your results......

Freshcut Lawn Care
12-01-2007, 12:46 PM
Me too! :dancing:

Az Gardener
12-01-2007, 02:15 PM
I have little doubt the engine will run on this and many other concoctions. My concern is how much if any engine life will I loose or what other related problems will I incur? If it cuts my engine life from 300-K or more to 250-K with minimal other problems I think it is worth it as I will not likely keep a vehicle for more than 200-K. This will be a long term experiment. Will just have to see what happens.

DISTURBEDSMR
12-01-2007, 02:44 PM
I have also been looking at the Golden Fuel system the owner of Lokey Trucks in Tampa did it and ran the Baja 1000 with the system do a search on google the videos will come up or go to U-tube. The problem I ran into here in Florida where I live is the oil all the restaurants here have a company that buys it from them to use for make-up "tell your wife that" and they own the tank the restaurants dump it in. They recommend Chinese places their oil is the cleanest.

CleanCutMowers
12-01-2007, 05:51 PM
I have little doubt the engine will run on this and many other concoctions. My concern is how much if any engine life will I loose or what other related problems will I incur? If it cuts my engine life from 300-K or more to 250-K with minimal other problems I think it is worth it as I will not likely keep a vehicle for more than 200-K. This will be a long term experiment. Will just have to see what happens.

A guy here in town has perfected his own and is now starting to sell them. He has 450+ and it is still going. :clapping:

RockSet N' Grade
12-02-2007, 09:45 AM
AzGardner.........pm me. I have been running a bob-tail dump truck for 3 years solid now on WVO. I have made mistakes along the way, but have the system down functionally. I have researched and spent countless hours on the phone with folks from Germany to all over the USA. I have tried "Diesel Secret" in the beginning during my learning curve.......there are better ways to go.......

LawnScapers of Dayton
12-02-2007, 04:07 PM
great so are you gonna share the wealth???????