PDA

View Full Version : A few questions starting out?

personallawn
11-28-2007, 09:57 PM
I'm trying to figure out how many lawns I will be able to cut and get the right amount of customers so I don't have to work way to much work for me to do. Say I have average lawns that are about 1/4 acre or less and I have houses within a few mile radius. I am going to have a 48" ZTR while someone else is doing the trimming for me at the same time. How long will it take me on average to cut each lawn and how many would I be able to get cut if I work for 8 hours in a day? Thanks

Ryan

MJS
11-30-2007, 06:22 PM
My very rough guess is about 30 a day. I worked with another company a few yrs ago; we could get 13 done in about 4 hours with two guys working (all lawns > 1/4 acre), so that's an approx #. Anybody else have a suggestion? I only work solo right now, so I'm probably off a little bit.

privatelawn
11-30-2007, 06:34 PM
about 4 an hour... if there all close to each other

daveintoledo
12-01-2007, 12:11 AM
you are thinking of starting your own business, be prepared to work 4 or 5 time harder and more hours then you have ever worked in you life,

other wise your really just wasting your time on a failing endevor...

this isnt a get rich quick scam, it takes alot of really hard work all day, every day.....not counting the bookeeping, advertising, employee hunting ect ect....

Grits
12-01-2007, 09:09 AM
My very rough guess is about 30 a day. I worked with another company a few yrs ago; we could get 13 done in about 4 hours with two guys working (all lawns > 1/4 acre), so that's an approx #. Anybody else have a suggestion? I only work solo right now, so I'm probably off a little bit.

I don't see how you could do 30 1/4acre yards per 8 hour day UNLESS they are mostly side by side. Being this guys first year, he will not get 30 yards that are side by side. He will be lucky to get 30 yards, period.

Going of off my experience.....with drive time you should be able to do 15 per day. I really don't see doing more than that per day in the first year.

MJS
12-01-2007, 05:02 PM
Yea, now that you point it out, almost all the lawns were next to each other - probably in groups of three or four on a street. I have done 12 in a day w/ drive time by myself.

echeandia
12-01-2007, 09:11 PM
I was able to get about 8 lawns done by myself on a good day this past season (my first).

MJS
12-01-2007, 09:39 PM
I was able to get about 8 lawns done by myself on a good day this past season (my first).

What equipment were you using - I have done 12 in 8hrs time with only a 21'' (but that's really pushing it)

echeandia
12-01-2007, 09:46 PM
What equipment were you using ...

I run a 48" Exmark TT. I usually had to pull the 21" push mower off the trailer twice a day though.

privatelawn
12-01-2007, 09:58 PM
I use a 52" z and a 1/4 acre home takes me about 12 minutes on the z, by the time im done the helper edged, trimmed and blowed. Alot of houses are say 5 houses down the road so no drive time otherwise the next house is normally 1-2 minutes down the road. For me 15 minutes is enough for mowing + drive + unload