PDA

View Full Version : I am getting a new boss plow what size should i get?

Raven386
11-28-2007, 10:59 PM
7' 6" or 8'. Its going to be a Super Duty Trip-Edge.....

Raven386
11-28-2007, 11:39 PM
i already asked on plowsite....just thought id ask here too. Im going to be doing residential driveways mostly, maybe 1 or 2 small lots.

mowtivations lawncare
11-29-2007, 12:04 AM
personally, i have the Western uni mount 7'6". i also have the detachable "ears" that will make it about 9 feet total. i havent used it yet, but i'm assuming u can get more done with the bigger plow but if all ur focusing on is residential, u dont wanna get too big 'cuz u risk tearing something up. just my 2 cents. maybe a more seasoned vet could elaborate.

ALarsh
11-29-2007, 12:06 AM
8' trust me. I bought my 8' boss last year. Going into my second season of plowing now and I am taking it in to get the wings put on because I need more width to get them done faster (will make it just under 10'). Signed too many contracts!

Trust me you will regret the 7 6 if you get it.

Raven386
11-29-2007, 01:08 AM
thanks for everyones input. i would really like to hear more if you have it! thanks again! - matt

POPO4995
11-29-2007, 01:21 AM
I would strongly recommend atleast 8'. If it was me, I would probably go to 8'6" even!

dcondon
11-29-2007, 08:20 AM
Go with a 8ft plus. I have been plowing for many years and you will regret not buying one. One of the big reasons is because it clears more snow away from the truck so you don't get stuck as often and save time. Plus the plow is heavier so you can back drag snow away from garages better.

mojob
11-29-2007, 11:12 AM
I'd also consider the Boss V with smartlock cylinders and the new style edges. More money but way more versatile. If I were you I'd get away from driveways and concentrate on commercial lots. JMHO

dcondon
11-29-2007, 12:47 PM
If I were you I'd get away from driveways and concentrate on commercial lots. JMHO

and why do you say this??? Whats he going to do look at his new plow setting in this own driveway???

Raven386
11-29-2007, 03:57 PM
Id rather stay away from commercial lots for a while.. I think ive made up my mind, going to get a 8' Boss S/D Trip Edge. Thanks for everyones input! really appreciate it. I will make sure i post pics when i get it installed.

mojob
11-29-2007, 05:16 PM
and why do you say this??? Whats he going to do look at his new plow setting in this own driveway???
I said this because in my opinion there's a lot more money in plowing lots than there is in driveways. I wasn't looking for an argument especially from someone in the peanut gallery. I was just giving him a little friendly advice. I just figured he didn't have a whole lot of experience plowing and was trying to help so relax dcondom and take a deep breath.

supercuts
11-29-2007, 08:44 PM
i have 8 1/2 blades on both trucks. my first plow was a 7 1/2. ill never go back and i do 100%residential. as far as the go commerical comment, i make $4-5k a storm on 87 driveways with 2 trucks in about 8 hrs. im happy with that. with commerical, your expect too much of, and are more likely to be sued if someone slips and falls.

more advice, i dont get out of my truck. no shoveling period. i get as much as i can with my truck, if i cant reach it doesnt get done. $35 min. in and out quick. i also keep a very tight area some in litterally in and out. i dont drive much more than 3 miles from my house. good luck, hoping for some white gold to fall from the sky soon. only 52 cleanups left.

Raven386
11-29-2007, 11:42 PM
i have 8 1/2 blades on both trucks. my first plow was a 7 1/2. ill never go back and i do 100%residential. as far as the go commerical comment, i make $4-5k a storm on 87 driveways with 2 trucks in about 8 hrs. im happy with that. with commerical, your expect too much of, and are more likely to be sued if someone slips and falls.

more advice, i dont get out of my truck. no shoveling period. i get as much as i can with my truck, if i cant reach it doesnt get done. $35 min. in and out quick. i also keep a very tight area some in litterally in and out. i dont drive much more than 3 miles from my house. good luck, hoping for some white gold to fall from the sky soon. only 52 cleanups left.

Thank you. thats what i think about commercial too, way to much of a liability for accidents and eveything else. so far all the contracts are $35 + none under that. Hopefully we will see some snow this year, not until were all done with clean-ups though! dont want to make our lifes harder. i think we have about 20-25 to do still. I hate doing leaves but i love the green they bring! Here's to a safe and profitable winter :drinkup: