PDA

View Full Version : pre-maturely failed equipment

pete scalia
11-29-2007, 01:19 AM
I tell you I'm getting sick and tired of eating the labor to go out and replace prematurely failed equipment. I spent 20 minutes on the phone tonight with a customer that has a transformer that is less than 1 yr old going through diagnostics. Unacceptable. I'm not going to mention the manufacturer but man I wish they would get their act together. This is not the first one to go south like this. Maybe time to find another vendor. This is no cheap knockoff it's from a major.

Chris J
11-29-2007, 01:26 AM
Pete, you were doing so good. Now, it's obvious that you are baiting people with questions that you already know the answers to.
I'm going to bed now. Merry Christmass every one!

pete scalia
11-29-2007, 01:34 AM
Pete, you were doing so good. Now, it's obvious that you are baiting people with questions that you already know the answers to.
I'm going to bed now. Merry Christmass every one!

It's a legitimate post and actually happened. Frustration has gotten the best of me I guess.

YardPro
11-29-2007, 07:57 AM
HUMM,
seems that someone is not as perfect contractor as it has been presented....

Find another source.

Mike M
11-29-2007, 08:01 AM
Currious if it's the type of coils, original manu, or has to do with the lighting company's assembly. Regardless of names, is one "type" of transformer more reliable than the others at this point? Or do they all have a similar failure rate?

I'd love to read up more about LV transformers if anyone knows a good technical reference.

Thanks,

Mike M

YardPro
11-29-2007, 08:06 AM
Are you not pricing in warranty work when you are selling these jobs?
even the best installer will have the occasional warranty call, and should be pricing this into their jobs.

Mike M
11-29-2007, 08:14 AM
I'm thinking more about the fact that I'm basing my business model on product quality and longevity. I'm telling people 15 years, lifetime, etc., and then I'm back with a year replacing a transformer. If there is a type of coil or manu that is statistically more reliable, I want to know more about it.

irrig8r
11-29-2007, 04:23 PM
I tell you I'm getting sick and tired of eating the labor to go out and replace prematurely failed equipment. I spent 20 minutes on the phone tonight with a customer that has a transformer that is less than 1 yr old going through diagnostics. Unacceptable. I'm not going to mention the manufacturer but man I wish they would get their act together. This is not the first one to go south like this. Maybe time to find another vendor. This is no cheap knockoff it's from a major.

Go ahead and tell us Pete. First, one transformer problem isn't necessarily going to reflect the quality of their entire line. Someone here might have a similar experience or not, but why keep it a secret?

I'll tell you what, since I do a lot of service and repair work, and because I'm listed as a registered contractor with Nightscaping, I tend to get more calls about problems with their transformers. I don't think they're any less reliable than any other brand (in fact I think they are very reliable overall), it's just that I get the bad ones because a "self-selecting" group (statistically speaking) is contacting me to make it right.