PDA

View Full Version : Using the word GARDEN in the Co. name?

Exact Rototilling
11-29-2007, 12:43 AM
I will be modifying my Co. Name for broader appeal but will still run ads under "Exact Rototilling" which I ran under my other dba. I want to assimilate the Rototilling into the new dba . . . so is the word "Garden" going to convey this? What does the word GARDEN really convey in the Co name?

For example is "Precision Lawn & Garden" a better option than "Precision Outdoor Services".

The services I will offer for 2008: Custom Rototilling, Mow-trim-blow, Spring and Fall clean-ups, Dog Poop pick-up & Light bush, shrub and tree trimming for weekly mow clients.

I am considering adding: Aeration, de-thatching, power washing and snow removal next winter with a 4x4 ATV and snow blower.

I am far from a Master Gardener nor do I consider myself any sort of garden expert. I can not rattle off Latin names of plants, what works well in the shade etc. ;) I can distinguish most weeds from most desirable plant but that's where it ends. :rolleyes:

But I am very capable at running a Troy-Bilt Horse tiller and delivering a finished polished service that impressed a fair number of my clients to the point of being paid more than my quoted price last spring. payup

If . . . my wife was actively working in the business and was close to being a master gardener, or had worked in a Nursery for many years then the word "GARDEN" might fly. But she is neither. :( I will learn the plants and trees as I go but . . .?

So . . . for these reasons is "Precision Outdoor Services" better than "Precision Lawn & Garden" . . . ?

Lugnut
11-29-2007, 05:34 PM
I either work, as both give a fairly accurate representation of what services you provide. However, Precision Outdoor Services is alot broader and might result in people calling you to paint fences, powerwash their house, seal driveways, etc.

RedSox4Life
11-29-2007, 05:40 PM
I also thought about changing to xxxxx Lawn and Garden instead of xxxxx Lawncare, but it always sounded too much like a nursery or supply yard for me

VO Landscape Design
11-29-2007, 05:40 PM
So . . . for these reasons is "Precision Outdoor Services" better than "Precision Lawn & Garden" . . . ?

"Precision Lawn & Garden" sounds like a retail store to me and "Precision Outdoor Services" like Lugnut said. Maybe "Precision Lawn & Landscape Care".
my 2 cents
VO

capitalturf
12-02-2007, 11:12 AM
you also go with someing like XXXXXX Turf and Grounds

PerfectEarth
12-02-2007, 11:17 AM
If you are unable to advise a customer on what plants will do well in a shady corner of the landscape, you might want to leave "garden" out of your name..... Besides, what you plan to offer falls more in line of an outdoor "service" than garden-related work. Use the "service" name, IMO.

Exact Rototilling
12-02-2007, 03:05 PM
Thanks for the feedback.

I'm considering filing the dba as "****** LAWN & GARDEN SERVICES" that way it distances the name from a department in a retail store etc.

I'm also considered filing the dba as "****** LAWN & GARDEN OUTDOOR SERVICES" that way I cover all the desired bases with the proper business name but will hopefully crowd out anyone else from displacing the Co. name. But for business cards and ads just shorten the name depending on the service I'm targeting.

I really feel that the word "GARDEN" will appeal to the lady of the house and will encourage more calls from conscientious home owners. A potentially a less threatening sounding name. I want to avoid the "Big Buba's Mowing Service" image. :laugh:

I'm willing to learn as much as possible about plants and gardens etc. so over time my knowledge will grow with the business. I have 4 months before spring hits so I figure that will give me a fair amount of time to learn "which plant goes where literate" or be able to refer to a publication on the truck that I can look up. Sunset Magazine planting guide maybe. I've seen them at nurseries before.
:clapping:

topsites
12-02-2007, 05:11 PM
"Precision Lawn & Garden" is more specific, while "Precision Outdoor Services" is a broader specification.