PDA

View Full Version : Chipper for Composting

MarcSmith
11-29-2007, 11:25 AM
Hey Folks...

I am looking for a chipper...I was wondering if any of you folks out there have a chipper fro the sole purpose of chipping/shredding for the purposes of composting/mulching.

I'm dropping about 7-10K per year in landscape debris hauling fees....wich amounts to about 140 tons (unchipped) of debris each year. Being that I go though 1500 yds of shredded hardwood each year. I figure blending in a few tons of chipped/shredded material might save me some $$$$$ each year, plus after the first year or so I should have a pretty good compost pile as well.

So my question is.....I rarely have anything over 6" that I cut so i figure a 6-12" chipper would be the way to go... basically the ability to show cost savings with in the first few years is key....

Tub grinders are out, too expensive, and I thought about getting a PtO or a Skid Loader mounts, but I'm not sure i want to put more wear and tear on a 30K dollar piece of equipment....

Any other Ideas....

ICT Bill
12-02-2007, 03:28 PM
Maybe you could pile it up and have someone bring a tub grinder by every 3 or 4 weeks through the growing season.

Pogo Tree experts is the company that does all of Montgomery County tree work and come down to your area all of the time. They have grinders of all shapes and sizes, all of them mobile. Well except for the huge monster one on site at his compost location.
You will have to look up the number, call Mary at Pogo Tree Experts and ask, tell her Bill Skerrett sent you from ICT Organics

It may work for your budget

MarcSmith
12-02-2007, 05:51 PM
I have talked to them, they are willing to accept my debris @ 40 a ton. and if they put a 40 yard roll-off on site it would cost about 600 a pull....which twice what I'm paying now for a 30yd pumpster.

I know that recycling isn't cheap but landscape debris is the one thing, at least in theory, that can be reused on site or given to local residents. Basically becoming zero emmisisons in regards to landscape waste

P.Services
12-02-2007, 06:42 PM
fecon makes a shredder/grinder thats meant for composting. i think there is one listed on machinerytrader.com

Daner
12-04-2007, 06:58 PM
Marc, You have a excellent Idea there...If It were me...I would Look around at the auction sales out your way and try to pick up your own...That way It's there when you need It.

I could be a start for a whole new composting program for you...that could pay for that chipper In a short period of time.

Best of luck
Daner:waving:

MarcSmith
12-05-2007, 06:54 AM
bandit has a new unit 1680 sharp tooth, Son of a beast.....I have not gotten any pricing yet....

Dollar Spot
12-06-2007, 12:28 PM
We rent a chipper for the course when we have storm damage or when we have built up enough pruning piles to justify it. When they are clearing lines in the area we get them to dump on our site. We use the chips in beds throughout the course and we screen the old composted piles and use the humus in flower beds and new plantings. We are lucking in that we have enough room to do this because hauling it off would be very expensive. Some of the larger treecare companies sell off their equipment every few years and replace it so yoou might want to check with them. They did that when I was with Davey Tree.

mdvaden
12-06-2007, 01:02 PM
On a campus or country club size, I'd do it in a heartbeat if it saves money. And what a nice source of mulch / compost.

In business, its easier and cheaper to haul, let someone else compost, and buy it back.

But on a big place, or the right company with space, it can be awesome, as long as you are not double and triple handling debris.

Makes fine compost. Used to have like 40 truckloads dumped at my parents when I went to college, spread 8" deep in the wooded area.

Virtually became soil-like in just 2 years without even turning.

Or, turn and make it even better.

MarcSmith
12-06-2007, 01:18 PM
my problem is space...i can store bulk mulch and stuff like like that but I don't have space to hold tons of debris, now chipped debris wont take up as much space so I could work with that. I figure if I pull a 30yd dumspter 20 times a year I've got 600 cubic yards...which assuming a 20:1 reduction(most home owner chippers can get 14:1) I've only got 30 yards of bulk chipped material....I figure 25% would be fines(leaves and small twigs dirt, ect) and would rapidly compost....so i'd be looking at 8 yards of fines and 22 yds of chips....if I pull in a chipper every time i'd pull a dumpster I'm not saving anything....

Dollar Spot
12-06-2007, 01:21 PM
In Ohio you have to have a composting permit. I don't know if this is to raise a few more tax dollars or if it's a way to police for possible odors getting to the surrounding neighbors.

Dollar Spot
12-06-2007, 01:29 PM
I guess the advantage for me is that I can take the chipper to the limbs and not have to take the limbs to a dumpster. I take the chips and dump them where I want them. We also don't have to get rid of the limbs right away like you may have to. We usually only need the chipper for a day on the course maybe 5 times a year and to me that doesn't justify buying one unless it was a steal. The other problem we have is a lack of equipment storage space.

godzilla
12-10-2007, 10:12 AM
I'd say to bring in a tub grinder once a year if you have the space to stock pile materials. It shouldn't cost you more than $4,000 to process all that material. You'll have mulch that you can use right away.

Another way to do it would be a SMALL grinder, and even those go for about 90K... but you guys are a school, so you can get it for a lot less than that.

MarcSmith
12-10-2007, 11:08 AM
Another way to do it would be a SMALL grinder, and even those go for about 90K... but you guys are a school, so you can get it for a lot less than that. but even a small grinder is still expensive....even at GSA rates....

Vermeer
12-12-2007, 12:41 PM
Hi Marc,

Check out this potential solution. The HG200 was specifically designed to handle the types and size of material you are talking about with the ability to screen and control the size end product for reuse if desired

http://www.vermeer.com/vcom/EnvironmentalEquipment/Model.jsp?PrdlnID=39643&ModID=101418

If you can not access the link go to Vermeer.com/environmental equipment/horizontal grinders/HG200. It can be towed by a regular pick up.

Jon

MarcSmith
12-12-2007, 12:48 PM
can you shoot me some pricing????Is there an option for a "top loader" like the Bandit 1680

Vermeer
12-12-2007, 02:09 PM
Marc, Although the picture does not show it very well the material is pulled in by an infeed conveyor and is a top loader. This unit compared to the Bandit is a lot smaller in size and will fit into much tighter areas as the exhaust conveyor folds up. As for pricing contact your local dealer which I believe is out of Annapolis Junction. Contact Tim at 800-492-1274 or 301-498-5200. If you have any more questions let me know.
Regards,
Jon

MarcSmith
12-12-2007, 02:19 PM
will do thanks...maybe I can get a demo...I'll give tim a call

i did down load the PDF brochure notice the top load ability and conveyor fed...love to see one up close...

Rhino59
03-13-2008, 06:43 PM
Marc - I work at the Vermeer dealership in Georgia, and from what you're saying, I think this machine might be what you're looking for. I demo'd it to a County Public Works department last week - we ground up: 1) grass clippings, leaves, and compost-like material, 2) limbs and branches up to 10", and 3) we re-ground mulch that had come out of a tub grinder but was too large to put into landscape beds.

The county was really impressed with the product - we tried several different sizes of screens and they liked the product that came out of the smaller screens better. We ended up with a very finely ground product that could be piled up for composting or put into plant and flower beds. If you get a chance, have the dealer up there bring one out and see what kind of a product you will get.

Good luck!

MarcSmith
03-14-2008, 06:56 AM
thanks. I juts got a tree bag, and there alike 1/2 dozen small grinders like the vermeer. I had been talking to the vermeer guys but we juts have'nt nailed down a demo date yet...