PDA

View Full Version : New 297C

GMUGNIER
11-29-2007, 11:19 PM
Just got it in last night - This machine is a beast - I upgraded from a 287B and it is a night and day difference - No comparison, and worth every penny - But I have a few questions for those CAT guys out there - Is the ride control available on the MTL or just the wheeled machine? (I thought I got every option - but the book said the ride control was a option as well?) and how does the radio install? I opened the radio ready box in the rear of the cab and i retrieved the radio "kit" and harness and antenna, but how does the radio plug into the speakers? any way as soon as I get some time I will post some pics but - I figured y'all have seen the generic pics anyway. Did anybody get the new 315 mulcher head, or the 160 excavator and try it out yet? I am considering both of these attachments - but at 45K I don't want to be a guinea pig!

Thanks

Gus Mugnier

Scag48
11-30-2007, 04:01 AM
Been told the 315 mulching head is a monster. I was skeptical at first, a couple friends of mine who were partners in biz wanted to pick one up and rent a skid steer as needed for a land clearing business they have. They know very little about equipment, so I volunteered to spearhead some research for them. After talking to a few people, I hear it's a good unit. Somebody makes it for Cat, I can't remember who it is, somebody will chime in I'm sure with the correct answer.

qps
11-30-2007, 08:00 AM
Just got it in last night - This machine is a beast - I upgraded from a 287B and it is a night and day difference - No comparison, and worth every penny - But I have a few questions for those CAT guys out there - Is the ride control available on the MTL or just the wheeled machine? (I thought I got every option - but the book said the ride control was a option as well?) and how does the radio install? I opened the radio ready box in the rear of the cab and i retrieved the radio "kit" and harness and antenna, but how does the radio plug into the speakers? any way as soon as I get some time I will post some pics but - I figured y'all have seen the generic pics anyway. Did anybody get the new 315 mulcher head, or the 160 excavator and try it out yet? I am considering both of these attachments - but at 45K I don't want to be a guinea pig!

Thanks

Gus Mugnier

Ride control??? not sure if mine has it.....did you get the amics system controls??? I also have a radio I need to install...let me know how that goes, I like mine also, but there is a update on the undercarriage already, some units have bonding problems with the idlers and bogeys, cat is installing all new on mine as I type:weightlifter:...I'm also having the H patten control downloaded.

Tigerotor77W
11-30-2007, 09:24 AM
I'm also having the H patten control downloaded.

Ooof that sounds so weird -- to have a control pattern "downloaded" ... ;)

But yes, ride control is available on both SSLs and MTLs.

ksss
11-30-2007, 10:06 AM
C'mon Tim say CASE pattern, sounds soo much better than "H" pattern. You might even get a couple extra ponies out of her.:cool2:

GMUGNIER
11-30-2007, 10:23 AM
Ride control??? not sure if mine has it.....did you get the amics system controls??? I also have a radio I need to install...let me know how that goes, I like mine also, but there is a update on the undercarriage already, some units have bonding problems with the idlers and bogeys, cat is installing all new on mine as I type:weightlifter:...I'm also having the H patten control downloaded.

Yes I have the AMICS, two speed and dual level suspension - one of the forum guys below said ride control was a option, but my cat dealer said no - only on SSL's - and I think fecon makes the mulcher head for CAT - but I could be mistaken. I think I am going to get the pattern control changer as well. - I am going to call CAT in a few minutes to find out what is involved in installing the radio.

Gus

bobcat_ron
11-30-2007, 11:28 AM
Ride control wasn't an option on my 247B2, but as far as the radio goes, when ever my brother bought a new Cat, there was always a person who came around to install the radio for the customers as part of the deal, mine is getting put in for $602.00 at my cost in favour of the 3rd line being added to the contract.

qps
11-30-2007, 11:54 AM
C'mon Tim say CASE pattern, sounds soo much better than "H" pattern. You might even get a couple extra ponies out of her.:cool2:

WOW....I don't know what I was thinking...your right..CASE pattern...

aliving
11-30-2007, 09:58 PM
Ooof that sounds so weird -- to have a control pattern "downloaded" ... ;)

But yes, ride control is available on both SSLs and MTLs.

When we purchased our 272c SSL we got that option on it included in the price, but it has not come in yet at the dealer. Plan to get it installed as soon as it comes in.

My question is when running a mulcher can you run with the ride control or will it override the power to the mulcher. We run a Bradco Magnum mulcher.

Tigerotor77W
12-01-2007, 02:00 AM
Ymy cat dealer said no - only on SSL's

Oh! Interesting. I had thought that ride control was an option, but perhaps I was mistaken.

How do you like the 297C, anyhow?

GMUGNIER
12-01-2007, 01:50 PM
Love the new machine - but am still not certain that ride control was a option. Anyway just came back from a demonstration with the new 315 mulcher head that CAT just released - Man what a piece of equipment that thing is - I put my order in today! Now the only problem will be getting one in without having to wait six months for the backorders to get filled.

iron peddler
12-01-2007, 01:53 PM
ride control is not an option on mtl's...suspended undercarriage and air ride seat kind of makes it a mute point....and that is from marketing people in Peoria.

Tigerotor77W
12-02-2007, 12:24 AM
ride control is not an option on mtl's...suspended undercarriage and air ride seat kind of makes it a mute point....and that is from marketing people in Peoria.

And so proven: I was wrong.

That being said, ride control isn't only meant to isolate the operator... it also helps keep the load in the bucket. Perhaps the suspension does that on its own and ride control really doesn't help much.

GMUGNIER
12-02-2007, 10:59 AM
Ride control wasn't an option on my 247B2, but as far as the radio goes, when ever my brother bought a new Cat, there was always a person who came around to install the radio for the customers as part of the deal, mine is getting put in for $602.00 at my cost in favour of the 3rd line being added to the contract.

Hey BobCatRon - The radio install was not hard to deal with and I would be happy to share info - if you would like to save the 600.00 install fee for something else..

qps
12-02-2007, 11:40 AM
Hey BobCatRon - The radio install was not hard to deal with and I would be happy to share info - if you would like to save the 600.00 install fee for something else..

Share with me....I got the 297
:weightlifter:

GMUGNIER
12-02-2007, 11:55 AM
Did you order the radio ready cab option?

bobcat_ron
12-02-2007, 12:13 PM

Too late, I signed the contract order on Friday, but it's going on my spending account, and the 3rd case drain line is on the contract price, that way I get all the tax back with all the tax I payed on my Bobcat T190 payments at my business year's end, gonna get some serious GST tax refundage!! :weightlifter:

qps
12-02-2007, 12:18 PM
Did you order the radio ready cab option?

yep...got the radio at the shop in the box too....

GMUGNIER
12-02-2007, 07:34 PM
OK it is real simple once you understand how everything works - (unfortunately I guess I was the guinea pig because no CAT technicians were able to answer my questions.) First off there is a small Grey cover at the back rear of your cab - As you are looking at the machine it will be at the upper right rear of the rear firewall - It looks like a rectangular cover - pull that off and take out the contents - next remove the water from the washer bottle, and flip your cab up - Now there should be a single wire harness with a Deutch cover over the end - zip corded up tight next to the approx area that the Grey box that the radio goes in - remove the zip cord from the harness, and remove the cover from the end of the harness - next plug in the supplied harness from the inside box to the harness that you just took the plug from -the harness should now be ready to plug into your radio - the radio goes in the inside box that the cover was on and the security screw goes in the hole at the back of the box where there is a plastic body grommet installed - take out the grommet and install the screw for the radio. the antennae is just plug and play - put it where you have best reception and the least chance of getting torn off - I put mine on the same side of the cab as the Grey box - there is a medium size right angle bracket with a hole in it - mounted to the outside cab itself. Any other questions please ask.

bobcat_ron
12-02-2007, 08:13 PM
The 247 & 257's don't have a radio ready cab just to clarify for the people reading this thread, only the C series- 267, 277, 287, 297's.

#1 Catman
12-08-2007, 07:24 PM
When we purchased our 272c SSL we got that option on it included in the price, but it has not come in yet at the dealer. Plan to get it installed as soon as it comes in.

My question is when running a mulcher can you run with the ride control or will it override the power to the mulcher. We run a Bradco Magnum mulcher.

Ride control? When running a mulcher you will have the boom on the stops witch the tool will be on the ground.
Remember your ride control is speed senitive. You will have to have the boom up about 3" and going 3+ miles per hr. So.........It will not matter if you leave ride control on or not it will not limit your power, it only works on you lift sercuit not your Aux. Any way it is awesome!!!

Tigerotor77W
12-08-2007, 10:10 PM
only the C series- 267, 277, 287, 297's.

Just a note: 267 is not a C-series.

And good to see you around, #1 Catman! Hope business is good!

bobcat_ron
12-08-2007, 10:14 PM

Wow, they update the CAT website fast, I was on the site 1 week ago and the 267 was still listed.

qps
12-08-2007, 11:01 PM

I went on a tour of the dozer plant in Peoria last week...and to the edwards site...very impressive:weightlifter:

Tigerotor77W
12-09-2007, 12:50 PM
I went on a tour of the dozer plant in Peoria last week...and to the edwards site...very impressive:weightlifter:

Mhmm! Edwards is awesome. In a bit of nubileness, though, I should admit that I broke my thumb nail (it fell off entirely) when I smalled it in a Cat 287B radiator nearly two years ago to the day.

But either way, Peoria is an electrifying place to be for Cat lovers -- it's just so big and full of Yellow!

Construct'O
12-09-2007, 01:24 PM
Mhmm! Edwards is awesome. In a bit of nubileness, though, I should admit that I broke my thumb nail (it fell off entirely) when I smalled it in a Cat 287B radiator nearly two years ago to the day.
But either way, Peoria is an electrifying place to be for Cat lovers -- it's just so big and full of Yellow!

Never smalled my thumb :)before,but if you lost your thumb nail bet it hurt!!!!

Been thirty years since i was there,so sure things has changed a lot.Back then they was throwing things in to be heat treated by hand.Imagine that!

Would like to go again,but having got invited by Cat since i haven't bought new iron for a while.Sure you can still go visit without and invitation,but not for sure:confused:

At least i would hope so,for any possible future customers wanting to purchase their products.

It was great going to Cat years ago,just as it was 2 years ago going to the Deere plant at Dubuque,Ia after 30 plus years in the bus.It's something that you will never forget and carry for a life time.:usflag:

ksss
12-09-2007, 03:42 PM
I have been to the CASE proving grounds in AZ and Wi (Tomahawk) and to the CASE skid steer plant in Ks. I enjoy the trips and the contacts that you make are really the biggest benefit. It is nice to have a direct line of communication with the guys that build the equipment.