PDA

View Full Version : Business Phone - Cell only?

Exact Rototilling
11-30-2007, 02:10 AM
How many LCO here use a cell phone number exclusively as the only business contact number? Or have a business hard line forwarded to their cell when they are not in the office?

B. L. Landscaping
11-30-2007, 02:14 AM
I just use my cell for business and have a seperate phone for personal. It is nice shut off sundays and not be bothered.

topsites
11-30-2007, 02:32 AM
Same here, cell only, really wouldn't want it any other way.

Exact Rototilling
11-30-2007, 02:57 AM
Same here, cell only, really wouldn't want it any other way.
Cell only makes the most sense however the reception is very iffy here at the house and makes for lots of "can you hear me now"

Thinking about getting a different carrier just for this reason. Glad I didn't renew my contract to get the free phones :laugh:

Tom c.
11-30-2007, 06:19 AM
Cell and home, But I tell customers call the cell cause i'm mainly in the truck and thats also my p/t office/ lunchroom, and other things. Quad cabs make nice storage areas!!

TREEGUARD
11-30-2007, 06:32 AM
We use a land line & foward to cell phone only during times when advertising. I never give the cell # to customers.

DaveinSWFL
11-30-2007, 07:38 AM
I forward my land line to my cell phone as well.

deere615
11-30-2007, 09:53 PM
I am 17 so I only use my cell phone works great for me.

Turf Commando
11-30-2007, 10:11 PM
I run a detail shop, it seems all my calls come in by means of my cell.
Land line phone wouldn't help me, I'm always on the move Mobile phone or nothing..
Also people (HATE) voice mail, so answer those calls if possible, or lose potential client...Joe

tamadrummer
11-30-2007, 10:28 PM
Thats how I do it. I screen all calls at home so no, I don't want potential clients calling my home.

daveintoledo
12-01-2007, 12:05 AM
you have the wrong area code for your service area......

looks like your from out of town, or a lowballer..

get a designated business line, and check the messages from your cell..

really looks low budget and all.....your only worth the perception of your image, 15 bucks a mow or 35 bucks a mow....

wooley99
12-01-2007, 12:18 AM
I have cell only. One season in and it works so far. Next year I may get a business landline for voice mail and the fax. I don't know yet. But I would probably have both #s on business cards and ads. I don't think phones call taken on a cell or voice mails promptly returned have a negative for your image.

daveintoledo
12-01-2007, 12:24 AM
I have cell only. One season in and it works so far. Next year I may get a business landline for voice mail and the fax. I don't know yet. But I would probably have both #s on business cards and ads. I don't think phones call taken on a cell or voice mails promptly returned have a negative for your image.

first off, the cell is your personal line, never give it to customers, ..... think about that.....

and nothing wrong with vioce mail or an answering machine.....

the point here is to not look like the average beer guzzling low baller doing this for beer money, its supposed to be a business, and a business has expenses, including a dang phone in your business name...

if this is how things are going, no wonder my phone rings off the hook all year long with people looking to replace there low end service providers....

wooley99
12-01-2007, 12:41 AM
I'll defer to your experience. In my case the cell is my business phone. Instead of getting a business line at the house I wouldn't be around to answer, I got another cell in the business' name. I don't give customers my personal cell number or my home number.

A landline would include a basic listing in the phone book and I don't have one. I only work a small area and our phone book(s) cover a much larger one so it was a calculated decision based on zero experience.

Oh, I try very hard not to be a low-baller. I count on that extra profit margin to pay for my beer guzzling.

wooley99
12-01-2007, 12:49 AM
There is a downside not mentioned yet. If your number is on your truck and it's the phone in your truck the person you just cut off can call and critique your driving.:hammerhead:

shane mapes
12-01-2007, 01:23 AM
i use both .. my home # says if you need the lawn service right a way call ***-***-**** .to speak to the foreman.. both work just fine.

hackitdown
12-01-2007, 07:50 AM
I use only my cell phone. My land line is for personal use only. My cell # is a local number for the area I work in. You can transfer any number you have to a cell account. It is printed on my cards, signs, contracts, invoices, etc.

Being solo, it gives me a good opportunity to hustle and lock in the customer's business before others get home and check messages. Customers are often impressed at how quickly you get back to them. I can't tell you how many times I'm already in a customer's neighborhood when they call, and I can stop over after mowing and meet. Also, it often saves me a trip back for the sales call. All in all, it is way more efficient.

There is nothing even remotely unprofessional about it.

dwlah
12-01-2007, 09:05 AM
Im a cell only guy its a local number
I put the area code on my last batch of business cards (suffering from ATL phone dialing at the time) One of my regular customers dialed it with the area code and couldnt call me using the area code
Called me without using it and it went like a normal call

I dont answer the house phone even when Im home
(Its rarely for me and never business related)
Call me on my cell leave a message if I dont answer
Ill call you back as soon as I can
A separate business line doesnt make sense at this point FOR ME
Should I decide to have multiple crews then yes I can see a business line

LindblomRJ
12-01-2007, 09:16 AM
Cell only for the business. I am tempted to get rid of my landline all together (home phone)

Sweet Tater
12-01-2007, 07:32 PM
Cell only here. It has come in handy several times. Some one seen me passing their house and had resently received my mailer. They called and asked that since I was passing by if I had a moment could I stop for an estimate, bingo, new customer. If it was a landline, I wouldn't have got the call till later, then had to make another trip back (extra gas)

deere615
12-01-2007, 08:21 PM
I use only my cell phone. My land line is for personal use only. My cell # is a local number for the area I work in. You can transfer any number you have to a cell account. It is printed on my cards, signs, contracts, invoices, etc.

Being solo, it gives me a good opportunity to hustle and lock in the customer's business before others get home and check messages. Customers are often impressed at how quickly you get back to them. I can't tell you how many times I'm already in a customer's neighborhood when they call, and I can stop over after mowing and meet. Also, it often saves me a trip back for the sales call. All in all, it is way more efficient.

There is nothing even remotely unprofessional about it.

I agree, cell is nice for when I am doing a job and I get a call from someone close by I can just go see them instead of having to go home then back out.

echeandia
12-01-2007, 08:58 PM
I use my cell phone exclusively. My message has my business message and I always answer as if it were a client or prospect. I have never had an issues with someone thinking I wasn't legitimate.