PDA

View Full Version : Duramax vs. Powerstroke 7.3 vs. Cummins

blackoakstone
11-30-2007, 03:51 PM
I'm pretty new to the forum and have read a lot of talk about trucks. I'm looking for a new Bobcat/Mini X hauler and am beginning to wonder which engine to go with. I'm wondering what the general attitude is as to which one is going to give me the least headache.
I'm sure this has come up (I noticed it in another thread) several times, but I would like to be able to ask questions/learn w/o dragging up an old post...
Thanks in advance for any help/warnings.
Jay

IA_James
11-30-2007, 04:26 PM
They are all good motors if you can find one somebody hasn't messed with (chips, boxes, performance injectors, etc). The D'max and 7.3 Ford both use glow plugs, as opposed to the grid heater of the Cummins. The grid heater is a far superior set up for cold weather. Probably not a deal breaking issue for you though.

DieselOnly
12-01-2007, 12:16 AM
I, personally, wouldn't go with an '07-'08 model of any of them, except, maybe the Duramax. '06 and older, no question, 5.9 Cummins. Truck around it ain't great, but the engine isn't bad. None of the three are, really, but, IMHO, the 5.9 Cummins is the best common rail diesel in a pickup. The 2nd gen Cummins 12 valve with a P7100 is probably, IMHO, the most able (easiest to get big HP from) diesel ever put in a pickup. These are just my opinions.

PlatinumLandCon
12-01-2007, 12:34 AM
I'd personally get a Dmax since i like the GM truck styling. Thats just my opinion.

blackoakstone
12-01-2007, 12:49 AM
Bosch does it, huh? V12... Hear good things. Hard to find in my area. Haven't seen many, that is.

No go on the 08s? Thought there may be a reason for the 0% financing....:rolleyes:

I'm really tired of buying "trouble." I am very grateful for any advice on certain years to avoid and strong motors to look into.

Thanks again.

IA_James
12-01-2007, 09:44 AM
As far as super reliable trucks, the 94-98 12 valve Cummins trucks are the gold standard. They are the ones that made the Cummins/Dodge rep for reliable motors and longevity. The 98.5-02 trucks run good, but are prone to injector pump failure if the lift pump goes south. The 89-93 trucks are great too, if you don't want to turn the power up to "ridiculous". The '03-06 trucks had some trouble with injectors intially, but they've come out with a finer fuel filter for them that should take care of it. The CR trucks always start, and if you aren't a nut get pretty good mileage, but not as good as the earlier trucks due to being quite a bit heavier. The only reason I'd worry about the '07 is that it's a new motor, the 6.7 in the catalog previously was a tractor engine, this one is a bored and stroked 5.9. I'd run away from Ford that are '03 and newer, unless you can find one of the oddball '03s with the 7.3 in it. Only thing with the 7.3 is they won't start if you walk by it with an ice cream cone, the glow plugs are an ongoing maintenance thing with them from what I've heard. Pretty much all the D'maxes are good trucks.

Az Gardener
12-01-2007, 09:55 AM
This was one of the first questions I ever asked on here too. http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=120213

That is the link for hours of opinions. This is the abbreviated version of the prevailing opinions back in late 05

Powerstroke's are good but expensive to maintain and repair. (I disagree)

Cummins get the best mileage and are cheapest to maintain or repair but the transmissions that are attached are suspect.

Duramax seemed to be hit or miss, either very good or lemons and repairs and maint seemed to be between the other two as far as costs go. The Allison transmission is by far the best.

With all that said I bought a Dodge with the Cummins and I love that truck. Great up the hills and good mileage so far no problems. I am pulling it out of the field next week to be my personal truck. It gets 14-15 MPG around town with 4-6 guys in the truck debris in the bed pulling the 16' enclosed trailer with light equipment.

It is being replaced by a UD cab over with a 14' dump bed. I test drove a Mitsubishi a couple of weeks ago with the trailer and it pulled the trailer in flat ground as good or better than the Dodge. Didn't go up any mountain roads though.

I also borrowed my brother in laws Powerstroke a 05 I believe F-350 and I hated that truck. It was so loud I couldn't talk on the phone. It also had a significant lapse in time from when you put your foot on the accelerator to when you actually started going. I got 15.5 MPG around town nothing in the truck but me.

Hope all this helps I would suggest shopping for slightly used. I have found great bargins. My 04 Dodge 3/4 ton with the crew cab and Larime package with 17-K was 24-K. The UD is a 06 model 1300, single cab, with the 14 ft dump and roll tarp and yes 3-K miles for 29-K.

Happy shopping

Gravel Rat
12-01-2007, 01:17 PM
How big of a mini excavator are you planning on hauling ?

The new P/U trucks today are pretty well junk they don't last they are not reliable.

If the truck is going to be used allot pulling the ex or a skid better off with a medium duty truck.

DISTURBEDSMR
12-01-2007, 02:10 PM
I own a 02 duramax and have beat on it severely it has been chipped, straight pipe since 12,000 miles, ram air. I have had this thing under water four wheelin and I am not joking about the underwater over loaded hauling stuff I do not baby my trucks at all only problem injectors have been replaced twice under warranty, replaced water pump 180,000 miles. Go to dieselplace.com every problem that has ever happened is on there.

blackoakstone
12-01-2007, 04:36 PM
Biggest mini-x would be around 7500 lbs (3400 kg).

The Duramax sounds great. Everything I have heard has been good. I have always had pretty good luck with Chevrolet. We run two C-30s right now. Good trucks.

Cummins makes a great engine. I don't like the idea that the tranny that comes with them could be a flop. Have many people had tranny probs with them?

I really like the Ford, but it scares me to hear so much bad feedback. I haven't looked into Fords too much, but I appreciate the heads up on years to avoid.

Thank you guys for helping me here. I hope to learn more, so keep it coming.
Thanks.

IA_James
12-01-2007, 04:51 PM
Cummins makes a great engine. I don't like the idea that the tranny that comes with them could be a flop. Have many people had tranny probs with them?

The 48RE (the latest 4 spd OD version) was a pretty good tranny. Of course, they won't stand up to heavy use of programmers, boxes, injectors, etc. The 47RE was ok as long as you didn't screw with the motor at all. Stock they were fine, as a rule. The previous ones were junk. The manual trannys were all bulletproof, but since New Venture Gear went under, parts are getting expensive quick. The jury is still out on the newest manual, but it's a Mercedes Benz piece. It also has an aluminum case vs. cast iron, and weighs 1/2 what the NV5600 does.

supercuts
12-01-2007, 04:53 PM
they're all good, find the best deal or the one that fits you the most. ive been happy with 2 7.3's, and i got the 6.4. i stand clear of the 6.0

JoeyD
12-01-2007, 08:51 PM
7.3 is the way to go. That motor is bullet proof

J&R Landscaping
12-01-2007, 09:44 PM
I bought a 2006 F250 with the 6.0 last month. Its got 55k on it and runs great! Steer clear of the 03 & 04 6.0 diesels but 05 & 06 should be ok. Get a 5 speed or a 6 speed as it will last longer then the Auto. I'm kinda sorry my new truck is an auto.

The 7.3 is also a great engine. Plenty of power and great life. The 99's had a few issues with oil pans but other then that, I have not heard much.

lawn king
12-02-2007, 09:33 AM
At present i own an international 7.3, isuzu 4.7, kubota 30 hp and going to make a deal tomorrow on an 08- 6.6 duramax!

L&L
12-02-2007, 12:30 PM
I have been a ford man for years. I was in need of a new truck and I just couldnt bring myself to buy a new ford because of all the problems. I decided to try a Dodge. I picked up a new 08 Cummins with the 6.7 and 6 speed auto. All I can say is if this truck holds up I will never buy another ford. The 6 speed auto is amazing. It comes for the factory with a engine brake that is awesome! My 7.3 Ford has been a good motor but try the new cummins...you will like

lawn king
12-02-2007, 06:30 PM
The exhaust brake (jake) in the isuzu works great. The allison in the new GM's is also a 6 speed that can you shift manual by using a small +/- touch pad on the shifter.

TXNSLighting
12-03-2007, 10:39 AM
duramaxs are pretty good, not as good at first, but have turned into a great engine. just dont like the chevy or gmc interiors. love the new gmc tho. ford 7.3, great great diesel, 02-03 were the best 7.3's. 03-04 6.0. no. 05 pretty good. 06-07 pretty dang good, (ill be getting an 06-07 powerstroke) 03 cummins, werent very good. 04-07 cummins fantastic! but dont expect everything around it to last very long. and the autos from 05 and up were quite good. NEW- 6.4l powerstroke has been doin quite well so far, had a few hickups at first, but its a new engine, thats goin to happen. LMM duramax. so far so good, have heard a few complaints, but overall excellent power. gmc looks great, chevy does not... 6.7 cummins, have heard a couple people like it, majority of real cummins owners, do not like them. All have pretty much exact same hp tq numbers to. SO, either way you go, your goin to have some issues, cuz lets face it, their all machines. Just find what you like.

vermonta
12-04-2007, 10:54 PM
My first diesel experience was an 86 chev 6.2 with the turbo 400 tranny (bullet proof) Had a good power curve perfect for plowing snow. My second was a 95 6.5 turbo. Lots of power and better mileage. Never plowed.
My third and current is a 2000 F350 with a 7.3 4sp auto dually dump. My only complaint with the auto was to much shifting so I put a super chip in it. Completely changed the truck. With the exhaust, intake and chip its about 400 hp and now shifts the way it should I.E. "not much" and there are no more hills :cool2:

I have an F350 04 but it's a gas job.

IMHO
They have made many improvements in the engine trannys in the last few years so if you can find one that works good for what you are doing, buy it.

In my case and at that time, again imho if you wanted to carry or pull a heavy load you went with Fords, hands down heavier drive train. If you wanted a comfortable ride you went with Chevy/GMC and not to many even considered Dodges although they have had an excellent engine, Dodge just didn't stand behind them if you worked them.

As I said, things have improved in many ways since I bought mine so try them out under real life situations if you can and I wish you all the best.

RHayden
12-04-2007, 11:13 PM
We have one tons- '97, '99, and '01 all with the 7.3. Love em all. The '97 has around 210k and the glow plugs had to be changed at 202k. And thats all the repairs we have had to do to any of them motor wise. All are a little slow out of the gate but will pull anything we can hook up to. Our f800 has the cummins and we have had no problems whatsoever. I don't get to drive it much but the guys all love it.

My brother in law is a mechanic for Hostess and they run the cummins in their delivery trucks and he says many of these are approaching 700k miles without any major repairs.

vermonta
12-05-2007, 12:08 AM
My 2000 only has 90k on it right now. Two years ago the oil pan rusted out. Boy was I mad at Ford because they wouldn't warranty it, Called it panel rust through or some such bs.
Anyway the dealer said the rust through wasn't covered under warranty but an oil pan leaky gasket was:clapping::clapping:

So I bought the pan and they put it in under warranty for a leaking gasket:) Also said the oil cooler rusted out would be under warranty.
The only other thing was a crank positioning sensor at about 70k.

The chip I put in gave it gobs of power at take off. My son had a 95 Honda Accord and he said it was faster on take off than that was.
But the thing I liked the best was it didn't shift all the time like it did before. Now I can put my 4 ton trailer on the back with the 32 hp Kubota and backhoe or ?? and hit the cruise at 70 on the interstate and it never shifts, just goes up the hills like there not there.
Love it!:weightlifter:

muddstopper
12-05-2007, 05:24 PM
I just traded my 05 4500 druamax with allison (14,000 miles)for a 08 F450, 6.4, auotmatic. I can say without a doubt that the new Ford will out pull, out run and out turn the 4500 chevy. I was perfectly happy with the Chevy until I had warranty issues with the dealer and plain got tired of fooling with them.

I went with Ford because a friend has a new Cummings and hates it.( he replaced a older cummings with this truck) Claims of no power. I didnt test drive the dodge before buying the Ford, so take the claims of no power with a grain of salt. I knew I always pulled heavier loads than my friend did and if he wasnt happy with the cummings, I wouldnt be either. Ask me again in about a year, by then, I should know if the 6.4 is going to be a good engine.

TXNSLighting
12-06-2007, 09:01 AM
sometimes you will hear of a cummins with a lack of power. very weird. doesnt happen to often but when it does, its bad. and i know from experience. i had an 03 cummins and it was a dog! we only had 3000 #'s on my lawn trailer and any hill, the truck would lose speed! it would not gain! i was shocked! so i took to the shop 3 times 3 different dealers, and they all said its runnin perfect! i said not bein able to pull a 3000 pound trailer up a slight incline is normal?! so i went and grabbed the trailer, found the tech and said get in. took him for a ride hit the hill, watched it drop 5 mph...and looked at him. he said well, that doesnt seem right then... so he did lots and lots of test, and nothin. he said all injectors are working properly, compressions perfect. and turbo is at full boost. and trans has no issues, (its was a 6 spd) i dont know what it is. so i took the truck and traded it off. i should of known when i bought it off a chevy lot. they traded it for a duramax, and i found out why the hard way. luckily i got it for cheap and i got more for it when i traded it. ha!

vermonta
12-06-2007, 11:07 PM
luckily i got it for cheap and i got more for it when i traded it. ha!

Now that's the way I like to do business :)

Grass Happens
12-06-2007, 11:50 PM
This was one of the first questions I ever asked on here too. http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=120213

That is the link for hours of opinions. This is the abbreviated version of the prevailing opinions back in late 05

Powerstroke's are good but expensive to maintain and repair. (I disagree)

Cummins get the best mileage and are cheapest to maintain or repair but the transmissions that are attached are suspect.

Duramax seemed to be hit or miss, either very good or lemons and repairs and maint seemed to be between the other two as far as costs go. The Allison transmission is by far the best.

With all that said I bought a Dodge with the Cummins and I love that truck. Great up the hills and good mileage so far no problems. I am pulling it out of the field next week to be my personal truck. It gets 14-15 MPG around town with 4-6 guys in the truck debris in the bed pulling the 16' enclosed trailer with light equipment.

It is being replaced by a UD cab over with a 14' dump bed. I test drove a Mitsubishi a couple of weeks ago with the trailer and it pulled the trailer in flat ground as good or better than the Dodge. Didn't go up any mountain roads though.

I also borrowed my brother in laws Powerstroke a 05 I believe F-350 and I hated that truck. It was so loud I couldn't talk on the phone. It also had a significant lapse in time from when you put your foot on the accelerator to when you actually started going. I got 15.5 MPG around town nothing in the truck but me.

Hope all this helps I would suggest shopping for slightly used. I have found great bargins. My 04 Dodge 3/4 ton with the crew cab and Larime package with 17-K was 24-K. The UD is a 06 model 1300, single cab, with the 14 ft dump and roll tarp and yes 3-K miles for 29-K.

Happy shopping

Your brother-in-laws truck has a turbo problem, have him take it to the dealer. My buddies 03 did this, he called ford, it has something to do with the variable impeller not working right. Other then that both he and my other friend with the 6.0 in an 05 like their trucks, though they do complain about lower then expected mileage. The same buddy with the 03 has a 97 f350 with 125000 miles on it. Since '02 this truck has had either a trailer on it, a 9-2 boss-V on the front, or both. Other then ball joints every 50k, and the glow plugs last year due to an idiot cycling them to much, that truck has been awesome. the older 12v Cummings with the mech. fuel pump we're about as good as they come. Then right after they replaced that generation, they had a tendency to throw pumps at just about 100,000 mile. The first durmaxs had all kinds of problems, but the newer ones work well, and the Allison is pretty sweet. I guess you just need to find out who offers the best service and go from there.

TXNSLighting
12-07-2007, 11:46 AM
Now that's the way I like to do business :)

ha yes sir!! thats happened to me 3 times!

vermonta
12-07-2007, 06:11 PM
ha yes sir!! thats happened to me 3 times!

:cool2:Hey!, maybe your in the wrong business :laugh: Good sideline :clapping:

lawn king
12-07-2007, 06:49 PM
160 miles on my new duramax in 2 days, awesome! Just an awesome machine! She's getting upfitted with the plow & strobes next week, i will post some pictures.

Krehling's Prop. Maint.
12-07-2007, 07:02 PM
if your buyin new i would go for the V10 Ford..... My dad just switched from an 05 6.0 L that he blew up to an 08 V10..... the way i look at it is with the price of diesel fuel and the $8,000 extra on the initial expense its just not worth it unless your putting 500,000 miles on it. the diesels are only getting around 13 mpg around town and towing and about 19-20 highway. the V10 gets a solid 11 around town, 8.5-9.5 towing and about 14 mpg highway. plus with the v10 when you stomp on the gas it goes, no turbo lag. if your going for an older truck i would stay away from the 6.0's altogether theres just too many guys having issues with them. the 7.3s are good reliable motors but arent exactly powerhouses, if you go for the 460 you can melt the tires off at will, but fuel milage sucks. For the dodge trucks i would say that the cummins is an outstanding motor, i havent heard anything about the 6.7 but the 5.9 is definately a great motor all around... i really dont have any information on chevy's since we've never had any. for the most part , alot of what you hear is going to be brand loyalty, I'm a ford man myself. its all in what you like..... if you work 'em, you break 'em theres no way around it.

T.E.
12-07-2007, 07:38 PM
Buy the one you like, and be happy with it. The cummins are supposed to have a weak tranny... Mine has almost 200,000 and I pull with it everyday. I have also added some mods to it. Buy what you like.

Someone else probably already gave the same advice, I just didn't have time to read all the posts.

Good luck, Tony

man of stihl
12-08-2007, 03:32 PM
i have a cummins and i love it. this is my first diesel so i dont have much personal experience to compare to. my buddy has a dmax and the other a powerstroke and i blow the doors off both of them:waving:

Pietro
12-10-2007, 12:09 AM
I have a 99 f250 with the 7.3 motor. That thing pulls anything. I haul a 24 foot enclosed trailer filled with mowers and tools. I could probably rip a house off of the foundation with my truck, its got PLENTY of balls.

vermonta
12-10-2007, 06:23 AM
I have a 99 f250 with the 7.3 motor. That thing pulls anything. I haul a 24 foot enclosed trailer filled with mowers and tools. I could probably rip a house off of the foundation with my truck, its got PLENTY of balls.
Is it all stock?

TXNSLighting
12-10-2007, 11:52 AM
:cool2:Hey!, maybe your in the wrong business :laugh: Good sideline :clapping:

haha! yeh, you maybe on to something there...ha!

NBI Lawn
12-10-2007, 02:43 PM
All are good trucks but IMO the Cummins is the only way to go.

The Duramax, though a great motor, is all computers. There are computers for the computers on those things. My brother has had his 07' classic in 5 times for computer issues already and it only has 6,800 miles on it. I really dont know what he is going to do when it is out of warranty. I dont even think you can see the motor with all the computers and wireing all over the place.

The Power Strokes are the least powerful diesel in the line up. Yes, they have plenty of power but it seems like you have to really get your foot into it for the turbos to spool before it will go anywhere. Also, it seems almost everyone will complain about the fuel mileage of the PS.

The Cummins is a proven motor. Unfortunatly the only way to get it is in a Dodge. Nothing wrong with the truck other than its looks ;). Interior is something only the designer loved :hammerhead:. I own an 06' CTD and love it. I tell everyone I bought the motor and the truck just came with it.

Go pop the hoods on a Chev, Ford and a Dodge and tell me which one you would want to work on. There is one that is obviously much more simple.

TXNSLighting
12-10-2007, 02:59 PM
well i have the dodge, and yes i bought the cummins and the truck unfortunately came with it. and now im at the point im tradin it off, cuz its not worth havin the cummins if i have to have the dodge. the power steering is now going out in mine. isnt it wonderful?! ill be trading for another ford in about a month or so. then in a year or so, im going to find either a 97 or a 02-03 ford and put a cummins in it, it will be my personal run around vehicle. scratch that, ill find an 05 king ranch with a gasser, and put a cummins in that. that sounds good. yay!!!

J&R Landscaping
12-11-2007, 12:56 AM
The 7.3 powerstroke is a great engine. It will pull just about anything but just do it a bit slower getting up to speed then the 6.0.

The 7.3 has seen a lot of use not just in pick-ups but in some of the International trucks, just as the cummins is used in some of the Freightliners and other medium duty trucks on the market. Some of the chevy engines are used in the hummers and other military applications so each has a great amount of running. I still am not 100% old on the Duramax but its growing on me.

Gravel Rat
12-11-2007, 04:08 AM
Cummins engine sales of the 6.7 will be very few because Freightliner and Sterling are using Mercedes power in medium duty trucks. International has their own engines. Paccar is using Cummins but they are built under a Paccar name.

The 7.3 PSD is actually a more reliable medium duty engine than the 5.9 Cummins. The 5.9 doesn't do well in a medium duty truck.

A friend is doing a Cummins swap into a old Ford he found a engine complete ISB 2007 for 10 grand. He has been searching for a long time for a good engine.

I like the 6.0 I have it does the job I need it to do. It carts around a truck that weighs 9300lbs empty the truck gets 12mpg which is better than a gas pot.

The Cummins ISB is way over rated its NOT a medium duty engine its a throwaway engine. It is one of the cheapest engines Cummins builds. You want to see a heavier built 360 Cid engine is look at the British Ford Lehman.

The 6.7 in the Dodge trucks Cummins won't work on them because Dodge has totally changed the engine operation controls. Dodge has changed lots of parts that Cummins doesn't use.

There are more Ford diesel P/U trucks on the road today than any other brand. How many 89 Dodge Cummins P/U trucks on the road compared to the same era Fords with the 7.3 IDI.

To sum it up just because it says Cummins doesn't mean its good. I still think for most people that buy Dodge Cummins P/U trucks is the wanna be trucker. You look at Cummins track record in their engine line up every one of their engines has had problems. One of the reasons why Caterpillar is the most popular truck engines with owner operators.

lawn king
12-11-2007, 06:04 AM
I did some reading up on the duramax diesels yesterday as i purchased 1 last week. 2007 silverado hd, motor trend truck of the year. Consumer reports awards the silverado hd their checkmark recommendation, in their own words it bested the superduty ford & the dodge 2500 HD. I think they are all capable trucks & i just retired a 1990 f350 7.3! The new fords are sharp, the dodge would not be in the running for me for reasons already mentioned in this thread.

vermonta
12-11-2007, 08:59 AM
Boils down to, ......"To Each His Own"

Everybody has there own tastes, likes and dislikes, needs and wants. Get what you like that serves your needs and if it don't, get something else :)

meets1
12-11-2007, 10:00 AM
Boils down to, ......"To Each His Own"

Everybody has there own tastes, likes and dislikes, needs and wants. Get what you like that serves your needs and if it don't, get something else :)

So therefore buy yourself a toyota or nissan!

NBI Lawn
12-11-2007, 10:25 AM
Cummins engine sales of the 6.7 will be very few because Freightliner and Sterling are using Mercedes power in medium duty trucks. International has their own engines. Paccar is using Cummins but they are built under a Paccar name.

The 7.3 PSD is actually a more reliable medium duty engine than the 5.9 Cummins. The 5.9 doesn't do well in a medium duty truck.

A friend is doing a Cummins swap into a old Ford he found a engine complete ISB 2007 for 10 grand. He has been searching for a long time for a good engine.

I like the 6.0 I have it does the job I need it to do. It carts around a truck that weighs 9300lbs empty the truck gets 12mpg which is better than a gas pot.

The Cummins ISB is way over rated its NOT a medium duty engine its a throwaway engine. It is one of the cheapest engines Cummins builds. You want to see a heavier built 360 Cid engine is look at the British Ford Lehman.

The 6.7 in the Dodge trucks Cummins won't work on them because Dodge has totally changed the engine operation controls. Dodge has changed lots of parts that Cummins doesn't use.

There are more Ford diesel P/U trucks on the road today than any other brand. How many 89 Dodge Cummins P/U trucks on the road compared to the same era Fords with the 7.3 IDI.

To sum it up just because it says Cummins doesn't mean its good. I still think for most people that buy Dodge Cummins P/U trucks is the wanna be trucker. You look at Cummins track record in their engine line up every one of their engines has had problems. One of the reasons why Caterpillar is the most popular truck engines with owner operators.

Let me guess what kind of truck you drive :hammerhead:? FYI Ford has had nothing but problems with the 6.0. Why do you think they stopped offering it. I know someone will say the 6.0 is the greatest engine ever made but that just isnt true for the most part. My 05' F350 single wheel was a POS. Best fuel mileage I ever got was 10 without a trailer. Dealer said because Ford used so many different companies for the injectors some are "good" some are "bad", whatever that is suppose to mean.

BTW why would a Cummins not be any good in a PU truck? Too much power? I know that when I bought my Frieghtliner the 5.9 Cummins was an option. I went with the Cat, but who wouldnt if there were an option.

TXNSLighting
12-11-2007, 11:00 AM
Let me guess what kind of truck you drive :hammerhead:? FYI Ford has had nothing but problems with the 6.0. Why do you think they stopped offering it. I know someone will say the 6.0 is the greatest engine ever made but that just isnt true for the most part. My 05' F350 single wheel was a POS. Best fuel mileage I ever got was 10 without a trailer. Dealer said because Ford used so many different companies for the injectors some are "good" some are "bad", whatever that is suppose to mean.

BTW why would a Cummins not be any good in a PU truck? Too much power? I know that when I bought my Frieghtliner the 5.9 Cummins was an option. I went with the Cat, but who wouldnt if there were an option.

your not very smart are you? they didnt stop makin it because it was bad, they stopped makin it because of emmisions! did you not notice that all three manufacturers misteriously got new diesel engines in the same month??! all with the gay emmisions crap?? huh? maybe it was just coincidence...:hammerhead: the later 6.0's were actually getting to be good engines. no not the best, but decent.

So many different companies for the injectors??? your dealer is stupid.

NBI Lawn
12-11-2007, 12:05 PM
In the later years? It was only offered for what... 3 years? And I love that you said "actually getting to be good engines", you seem suprised. I am, I owned one and like I said not happy at all just as you are not happy with your Cummins. Maintaining a good truck is easy, trying to polish a turd is near impossible.
You are right, I didnt even consider the emissions crap when I wrote that but you have to admit someone would have to be a die hard Ford fan to like that 6.0, heck most Ford guys dont even like it. And yes, there is something with the injectors that Ford is/was having an issue with. What it was exactly I dont know.

BTW, you are calling me "not very smart"? Arent you the one bashing the hell out of your truck in the same area you are trying to sell it in :hammerhead:?

TXNSLighting
12-11-2007, 12:12 PM
In the later years? It was only offered for what... 3 years? And I love that you said "starting to be good engines", they were still crap but getting better, haha. You are right, I didnt even consider the emissions crap when I wrote that but you have to admit someone would have to be a die hard Ford fan to like that 6.0. And yes, there is something with the injectors that Ford is/was having an issue with. What it was exactly I dont know.

BTW, you are calling me "not very smart"? Arent you the one bashing the hell out of your truck in the same area you are trying to sell it in :hammerhead:?

well it was available for 5 years actually. you dont really have to be a die hard fan to like em. they really were fun engines. how does that not make me very smart. i was being honest and said im no longer selling it. i dont want to sell some one on here a bad truck. when i put it up there, there werent any problems with it, and i still liked the truck. but now its crap and yeh. i never said they werent having any injector issue at first, but they've been using the same company for injectors. they just improved them in 05.

NBI Lawn
12-11-2007, 12:15 PM
I see were this is going... As I stated my 05 was junk, injector issues.

If you like the Ford, buy a Ford

If you like a GM, buy a Chev or GMC

If you like the Cummins your stuck with a Dodge. Most people dont buy a Dodge because its a Dodge they buy them for the Hemi or Cummins IMO

I give up *trucewhiteflag*

TXNSLighting
12-11-2007, 12:22 PM
yeh well said!! thats the only reason poeple buy dodges!

dirtybiz
12-12-2007, 01:51 PM
2000-2002 7.3 Powerstrokes were great, as well as the 5.9 cummins, but then you have to deal with the truck it is in :(. 2005-2006 and some pre-emission 07 dodge cummins 5.9 were also great trucks, just stay away from their auto for hauling. I always had fords until i got a piece of crap 6.0 and now i have a 06 dodge. Great for work, but not the nicest truck of the big three, bought it for the cummins only basicly. Hopefully if the 6.4L works out for ford will go back, time will tell. The new emissions crap sucks on the brand new trucks.

NBI Lawn
12-12-2007, 01:58 PM
i got a piece of crap 6.0 and now i have a 06 dodge. Great for work, but not the nicest truck of the big three, bought it for the cummins only basicly. Hopefully if the 6.4L works out for ford will go back, time will tell. The new emissions crap sucks on the brand new trucks.

X2, I agree 100%. Thats one of the reasons I ran out and got a 07' Chev Classic. Turns out it is headache but...

Cant get enough of my Cummins though

TXNSLighting
12-12-2007, 05:37 PM
X2, I agree 100%. Thats one of the reasons I ran out and got a 07' Chev Classic. Turns out it is headache but...

Cant get enough of my Cummins though

huh?! you've got an 07 chevy classic cummins!! man thats nice!

TXNSLighting
12-12-2007, 05:40 PM
2000-2002 7.3 Powerstrokes were great, as well as the 5.9 cummins, but then you have to deal with the truck it is in :(. 2005-2006 and some pre-emission 07 dodge cummins 5.9 were also great trucks, just stay away from their auto for hauling. I always had fords until i got a piece of crap 6.0 and now i have a 06 dodge. Great for work, but not the nicest truck of the big three, bought it for the cummins only basicly. Hopefully if the 6.4L works out for ford will go back, time will tell. The new emissions crap sucks on the brand new trucks.

you know theres no 5.9's anymore right? the 6.4 seems to be getting better with every 6 month interval. so i think by the time the 09's come out, they will be great. and it was 99-03 7.3 powerstrokes that were great. and 06-07 6.0's have been quite nice. im about to purchase one.

NBI Lawn
12-12-2007, 06:21 PM
huh?! you've got an 07 chevy classic cummins!! man thats nice!

How does that not make sense? I have an 07' Chev but I cant get enough of my Cummins. The Cummins is in my Dodge, didnt think I had to spell that one out for you.

Although a Chev with a Cummins would be sweet.

lawn king
12-12-2007, 06:43 PM
I would like to see kubota build a truck!

dirtybiz
12-12-2007, 07:39 PM
lol, their are a couple of companies around here who specialize in putting cummins in ford pickups, that adds up though. I think my dump truck would make the ultimate pickup, ford truck, w/cummins 5.9, w/ allison automatic :).

vermonta
12-13-2007, 12:02 AM
Back when I was in hight school ...many moons ago....:) a friend of mine put a 238 detroit with a road ranger tranny in a 67 F250 4X4. Now that was some truck :clapping:

vermonta
12-13-2007, 12:03 AM
I would like to see kubota build a truck!

I'd have one asap !:cool2:

NBI Lawn
12-13-2007, 12:14 AM
It was rumored that Toyota was going to be putting a Cat in there to be released 3/4 ton truck. I guess they are using another engine now though.

vermonta
12-13-2007, 12:42 AM
Toyota has the Lexus V8 in there Tundra now. IMHO Toyota is a great truck. I have a 96 2wd Tacoma 2.4 for my run around truck, but even though there trucks will probably outlast most others on the road, if they get no better mileage than most anything else what it the point?

If they put a diesel in there Tundra that got 25-30 mpg they would probably out sell all other pickups combined. I personally think they have gone the wrong direction in there development, but maybe that's just me.

lawn king
12-13-2007, 06:08 AM
My wife and i vacation 1 week each year in aruba, i always notice trucks not available in the united states, like toyota diesel cabovers. Last summer i noticed toyota 4runner diesels!

vermonta
12-13-2007, 08:05 AM
i always notice trucks not available in the united states, like toyota diesel cabovers. Last summer i noticed toyota 4runner diesels!

I'd be interested to know what they get for mileage :)

TXNSLighting
12-13-2007, 09:17 AM
How does that not make sense? I have an 07' Chev but I cant get enough of my Cummins. The Cummins is in my Dodge, didnt think I had to spell that one out for you.

Although a Chev with a Cummins would be sweet.

man you dont take sarcasm very well do you...

blackoakstone
12-13-2007, 04:42 PM
I have a 4runner and my girlfriend has a Camry. Mom has a Highlander and Dad has an 08 Tundra. I like the Toyotas.

I have even noticed a couple of one ton Toyota flatbeds on eBay recently...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/TOYOTA-1-TON-FLATBED-PICKUP-TRUCK_W0QQitemZ270195605049QQihZ017QQcategoryZ6059QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1989-Toyota-Pickup-1-Ton-Dually-Utility-Bed-V6_W0QQitemZ320193004213QQihZ011QQcategoryZ6439QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Not quite for me! ;)

I really appreciate all of the feedback I've gotten from everybody. It's great. I've been watching the classifieds like a hawk and have steered clear of several diesels thanks to the opinions/facts I have gotten in this thread. I still look forward to learning as much as possible before investing in a new work "machine."

You guys are rock solid!