PDA

View Full Version : After project Thank you gifts

pete scalia
11-30-2007, 04:15 PM
The way to get more referrals is to give your customers a gift. Not if and when they give you referrals—that’s too late. Give them a gift when you ASK them for the referrals. In fact, to put an “exclamation point” on the terrific job you just did for them, why not send them a gift that says THANK YOU, and simultaneously ask for referrals. This allows you to invoke the law of reciprocity, which states that if you give something to somebody, they will feel obligated to give you something back. How about some referrals!

What are you giving your customers by way of Thank you gifts which have stimulated referrals?

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
11-30-2007, 07:57 PM
Some of our larger client's enjoy a "lighting ceremony"... where my Wife and I will show after dark with a bottle of vintage Veuve. We pop the cork, and take a tour of the property...

For others, who prefer less ceremony, I will install a very special fixture such as the 18K Goldeliter, or some other signature piece.

The best deserve the best, and my client's fit that description.

Chris J
11-30-2007, 08:30 PM
Great observation Pete. I've given gifts of appreciation in the past, but I've never looked at it from this perspective. Good point!

JoeyD
11-30-2007, 09:06 PM
OK here is the best gift you can offer!!

What you do is take a stunning picture of the home lit up. You imprint your name and the homeowners name such as

The Jones Residence
Outdoor Lighting By Pistol Pete Scalia

You blow it up and have it printed on canvas and then have it put in a frame. It could cost you a hundred bucks or so but for the right job and the right homeowner this is a great gift to give. They will ahng it in their home or take it to their office but they will alwys put it in a place that can be viewed.

We have done this in the past for clients that alowwed us to perform an Illuminations at their home or for homeowners who allowed us to perform training on their home. It always goes over well.

Thats my secret of the day!!

pete scalia
12-01-2007, 12:14 AM
Great Tip Joe.

JoeyD
12-05-2007, 12:56 PM
well and if you have someone who wants less ceremony you could always offer them the 24k gold Solid Brass Pulsar.

http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb97/ulsjoeyd/GoldPulsar003.jpg

Lite4
12-05-2007, 08:08 PM
Pretty Shnazzy.

eskerlite
12-05-2007, 08:34 PM
I just bought 5 cases of Blackstone Merlot wine to give to all my clients and suppliers. Been doing it for 40 years.
Sean C.

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
12-05-2007, 08:37 PM
well and if you have someone who wants less ceremony you could always offer them the 24k gold Solid Brass Pulsar.

http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb97/ulsjoeyd/GoldPulsar003.jpg

What a cool and novel (but not so unique) idea Joey! (I'm laughing here)

Now, how about doing that to a path light, something that can be seen and appreciated by the client as they walk past it day and night. My sites here would eat that bullet uplight up and it would never be appreciated.

JoeyD
12-05-2007, 08:50 PM
I thought about using a pathlight James but fact is gold plated or not once that bird sits and takes a huge dump on it becomes just a pathlight with a crap on it!

LOL

Honestly we are doing this just for fun. We are thinking about a new display for our factory and we would like to have a gold plated version of every fixture we carry a patent on. We would do this just for fun. But if someone wanted it and wanted to pay for it I will gold plate whatever you want.

JoeyD
12-05-2007, 08:52 PM
BTW James what happened to the name, I thout it was the SOLEKILITER??

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
12-05-2007, 08:54 PM
LOL... I never met a bird who liked to perch on a Deliter, yet.

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
12-05-2007, 09:07 PM
Joey, consider the "Soleckiliter" to be private label branding!

The Integraliter being my first, and most sucessful forray into this realm....

pete scalia
12-05-2007, 09:41 PM
Joey, consider the "Soleckiliter" to be private label branding!

The Integraliter being my first, and most sucessful forray into this realm....

Too bad you share in none of the profit and must buy it with a markup through a distributor. Call that Bad business.

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
12-05-2007, 10:38 PM
I call it successful partnership. Bill calls it "Friends doing business with friends".

Fact is, when I came up with the idea I had no capital with which to invest in the design, molds, prototype development, re-design, manufacture and certification (CSA). All of these costs, and they are substantial, were borne by the manufacturer. Also, I had the finished product in my hand in less then 2 months after submitting my design and specification, which allowed me to put the fixture into the marketplace that same summer.

It has done very well for everyone involved.... Still the only dark sky friendly dock light on the market, and it forever bears my company name. I don't regret a thing. Great learning exercise!

Have a great day.

pete scalia
12-05-2007, 11:00 PM
I call it successful partnership. Bill calls it "Friends doing business with friends".

Fact is, when I came up with the idea I had no capital with which to invest in the design, molds, prototype development, re-design, manufacture and certification (CSA). All of these costs, and they are substantial, were borne by the manufacturer. Also, I had the finished product in my hand in less then 2 months after submitting my design and specification, which allowed me to put the fixture into the marketplace that same summer.

It has done very well for everyone involved.... Still the only dark sky friendly dock light on the market, and it forever bears my company name. I don't regret a thing. Great learning exercise!

Have a great day.

Call me cynical but it sounds more like friends taking advantage of friends to me.

irrig8r
12-06-2007, 12:15 AM
WHAT? Someone calling all Pete cynical???? How dare they!

Seriously Pete, I found a cool use for James' design too:

It is highly resistant to basketballs, which was an issue for a client who wanted lights along a section of his driveway where a path ran parallel. Worked out well.

Basketball court by day, lighted entry path at night.

pete scalia
12-06-2007, 12:58 AM
Great fixture if you consider hot spots on the ground Art.

JoeyD
12-06-2007, 09:28 AM
You can argue the brass version but that aluminum version would be nothing but a land mine after a while. Especially on a dock where it is definitly going to be kicked and hit by other things causing that powdercoat to chip and then cause the fixture to corrode and deteriorate.

Why would they even bother with an aluminum version knowing that would happen???

irrig8r
12-06-2007, 11:26 AM
Great fixture if you consider hot spots on the ground Art.

Okay, you're cynical.

http://www.tigerwires.com/1667101031113638153/lib/1667101031113638153/grinch3.gif

Lite4
12-06-2007, 01:43 PM
Sweet! I love that guy.

NightScenes
12-06-2007, 03:50 PM
I have an agreement with the owners of my favorite restaurant. My wife makes a special card for the client. It tells them to take it to this restaurant and enjoy a wonderful dinner for 2 with all expenses paid. We cover everything including the bar tab and the tip. So far, they've never spent more than $100!!

I have also taken clients to dinner. This has also been well received and it helps build those relationships.

pete scalia
12-06-2007, 05:41 PM
You can argue the brass version but that aluminum version would be nothing but a land mine after a while. Especially on a dock where it is definitly going to be kicked and hit by other things causing that powdercoat to chip and then cause the fixture to corrode and deteriorate.

Why would they even bother with an aluminum version knowing that would happen???

By Placing the lamp that close to the ground there is no way to avoid hot spotty lighting. I'd rather fall off a dock of my own power than trip over that stub of a fixture on the ground that is an accident waiting to happen. Better have great liability coverage when installing that one.

JoeyD
12-06-2007, 05:42 PM
By Placing the lamp that close to the ground there is no way to avoid hot spotty lighting. I'd rather fall off a dock of my own power than trip over that stub of a fixture on the ground that is an accident waiting to happen. Better have great liability coverage when installing that one.

Better be able to swim as well.....what if it was a young child who tripped?

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
12-06-2007, 06:24 PM
Hundreds installed, never an issue tripping on the INTEGRAliter. It is about the same size as a dock cleat, which have been around and mounted on the edge of docks for years with no problems. Basically, if you venture that close to the edge of a dock you were probably heading in for a swim anyway.

Positioning is important of course, these are mounted on the very edge of the dock so as to light not only the surface in a nice soft spread ( I use a 10W lamp and sometimes a frost lens) as well as grazing the edge of the dock to ease finding and tying up after dark.

Say what you will guys, the product is a hit, is CSA approved for its application, and is very popular with my clients.

JoeyD
12-06-2007, 06:47 PM
And I assume you power them up with a UL 1563 Pool and Spa rated transformer plugged into a GFCi receptacle. Whose Pool and Spa did you use??

I make one if you need to retrofit!!!

Lite4
12-06-2007, 06:50 PM
James, How far will those babies project the light across the docks? How much seperation do you need between lights ideally to spread it out right? I like the non-glare aspect of those lights. I wonder if you were to put some sort of a fresnel type lense in it, if it would project the light out more than directly under the fixture.

pete scalia
12-06-2007, 06:57 PM
Better be able to swim as well.....what if it was a young child who tripped?

Joey that's a good point. I couldn't live with myself if I placed a monstrosity that could cause harm to children. I bet it gets so hot that if a child touched it. heaven forbid I don't even want to think about it.

irrig8r
12-06-2007, 07:15 PM
Joey that's a good point. I couldn't live with myself if I placed a monstrosity that could cause harm to children. I bet it gets so hot that if a child touched it. heaven forbid I don't even want to think about it.

Pete... you never cease to amaze me...

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
12-07-2007, 12:05 AM
James, How far will those babies project the light across the docks? How much seperation do you need between lights ideally to spread it out right? I like the non-glare aspect of those lights. I wonder if you were to put some sort of a fresnel type lense in it, if it would project the light out more than directly under the fixture.

It all depends on the application really. I like to use them to delineate the edge of the dock and to act as a navigation,identification and docking aid after dark. It isnt unreasonable to space them on 8' centers but I have many on 12' centers and they work just fine. Sturdy as can be too. I have stepped on them, and even seen boats tied to them with no issues.

I like your idea of using an optical lens to spread the light... could be interesting!

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
12-07-2007, 12:07 AM

The INTEGRA Liter (GD-0402-BR) is solid cast brass, with about a 1/4" thick wall/cap. Heat dissipation is excellent and by using 10 or 20w xenon bi-pin lamps, the heat created is not an issue at all... They only get warm to the touch.

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
12-07-2007, 12:13 AM
And I assume you power them up with a UL 1563 Pool and Spa rated transformer plugged into a GFCi receptacle. Whose Pool and Spa did you use??

I make one if you need to retrofit!!!

Wiring and lighting on a dock structure above a lake is a totally different application then pool and spa installations. GFCI breakers on the primary circuits, all SJOW 12/3 wire, fully grounded circuits throughout is the safe way to go. If installing into a new structure, you have the opportunity to run all your wire in conduit which is extra nice.

Have a safe day.

JoeyD
12-07-2007, 10:15 AM
Wiring and lighting on a dock structure above a lake is a totally different application then pool and spa installations. GFCI breakers on the primary circuits, all SJOW 12/3 wire, fully grounded circuits throughout is the safe way to go. If installing into a new structure, you have the opportunity to run all your wire in conduit which is extra nice.

Have a safe day.

You make no mention of the transformer you are using? The wire and the circuits you covered but what if lightning strikes and somehow crosses the 120v and 12v at your tf?

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
12-07-2007, 06:21 PM
The transformers have fully separated and grounded shielding between the primary and secondary sides, the primaries are GFCI protected at the panel by a breaker for that purpose, the secondaries are fuse protected, and the individual branch circuits are fully grounded from the fixture back to the transformer and panel ground. We are safe. (Lighting strikes the lakes all the time -"water strike" ... I have never had a dock system affected.)

JoeyD
12-07-2007, 06:32 PM
Sounds very safe.

ChampionLS
12-09-2007, 11:03 PM
Sounds like we are in the same "BOAT" here. I would say the only disadvantage of those lights would be a snagging hazard for dock lines, or someone getting in/out of a boat and tripping over it. Dock lighting isn't easy. How big is the installation footprint? Does it jeopardize the integrity of most decking boards? Gotta watch little screws and tools around the water. One little slip and it's gone.

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
12-10-2007, 10:20 AM
You definitely have to have an understanding of how the dock is laid out and how the client intends to use the dock. I don't like to install dock lights until all of the other boating / tie up infrastructure is in place. (Cleats, Whips, Swim Ladders, etc etc) This way you can be sure not to position the fixtures in the way of lines or entrance / egress points.

99% of our docks here are cedar 2x8 boards & fascia mounted over steel pilings and frameworks. I use 2" or 3" long Stainless steel Truss head screws to mount the fixture to the dock boards. This creates a very sturdy installation with little to no damage to the decking. I have actually seen a 26' Sea Ray that was mistakenly tied to a dock using the INTEGRAliters as cleats! No damage to the fixtures, dock or boat.

There are of course other alternatives, Both VISTA and Hadco make "beacon' fixtures that can be used to light docks, but they are tall, obtrusive, sometimes composite in construction, and offer a 360 deg. glare filled light output that is not DSF. For residential applications, they are not very appropriate. They look like miniature light houses and are horrible things to look at all day long.

Have a great day.