PDA

View Full Version : New construction pictures.

Sunscaper
12-01-2007, 05:22 PM
Here's some of a project we just finished. We did the culvert pipe, grading, pavers, sod, and landscaping. Enjoy.

Sunscaper
12-01-2007, 05:27 PM
More pictures.

AWJ Services
12-01-2007, 05:41 PM
Looks really nice.

Is that St Augustine?

Fordsuvparts
12-01-2007, 05:51 PM
Nice looking work.

bobcat_ron
12-01-2007, 06:30 PM
That is a beautiful drive way, concrete or paver stones?

MJS
12-01-2007, 06:31 PM
Very sharp! Too bad the street has no real curb or edge.

srl28
12-01-2007, 06:48 PM
Looks great. But just out of curiosity and not being familiar with the soils you have down there is that a stable enough base for that driveway? especially being that its on a hill with a drainage ditch adjacent to it. Wouldnt that sink or settle more in the rains and hurricanes? Im just curious. Looks great tho

GradeMan
12-01-2007, 11:52 PM
Wondering about the settlin also? Wouldn't get away with that here {FROST}

Gravel Rat
12-02-2007, 02:46 PM
Paver stones are going to move anyways there is no way around the settling issue. As for the weight load its probably never going to see a heavy vehical on it. I hate to see a loaded tandem axle truck back in turning while backing in. You would see those pavers shift around.

It looks like the soil has a strong clay base in it and in my mind if it hasn't been disturbed too much it should be hard enough. The job looks good paving stones make a nice driveway that doesn't see heavy traffic.

The yard is missing something its like it needs a tree or a fence or a stone type wall in the front yard.

PerfectEarth
12-02-2007, 02:49 PM
Driveway looks great! Landscaping.....yikes....!

bobcat_ron
12-02-2007, 03:01 PM
The yard is missing something its like it needs a tree or a fence or a stone type wall in the front yard.

Some type of vehicle on cement blocks if you're in my 'hood!!

Gravel Rat
12-02-2007, 05:26 PM
It is similar to this area Ron but the vehicals have tires :laugh:

Not many paving stone driveways around here they are either too long or too uneven etc. Concrete is the most popular a little plain but it works.

tallrick
12-02-2007, 05:50 PM
Some type of vehicle on cement blocks if you're in my 'hood!!

That's my kind of neighborhood! Too bad it no longer exists.

GreenMonster
12-02-2007, 06:23 PM
Paver stones are going to move anyways there is no way around the settling issue.

:confused:

huh? pavers, properly installed on a properly prepared and compacted base can withstand consistent vehicular traffic. base prep, base prep, base prep

Gravel Rat
12-02-2007, 07:51 PM
You run a heavy truck on paving stones they are going to move. It doesn't matter how hard you pack the base something is going to move.

Take for instance if you had a loaded tandem axle garbage truck back into that driveway turning while backing up the tire scrub would shift things around.

GreenMonster
12-02-2007, 08:37 PM
You run a heavy truck on paving stones they are going to move. It doesn't matter how hard you pack the base something is going to move.

Take for instance if you had a loaded tandem axle garbage truck back into that driveway turning while backing up the tire scrub would shift things around.

I'll stand by my original statement.

of course, proper interlock and edge restraint also contribute. But, a 12-18" compacted 3/4" cbr base to 98% proctor will withstand the weight of a dumptruck.

mrusk
12-02-2007, 08:46 PM
I did a paver apron earlier this year. Then ran 16 tandems loads over it, 3 concrete trucks, and 1 pump truck. Not one paver moved.

bobcat_ron
12-02-2007, 09:07 PM
98% compaction?!?! Sweet Geebus, that's good.

Top Dog Pavers
12-02-2007, 09:29 PM
I agree, properly installed base & restraint- null of any voids in the soil those 8000 psi concrete pavers should not move after a few trucks make a u-turn in that driveway!

AWJ Services
12-03-2007, 08:07 AM
The pavestone factory in Tyrones whole truck loading area is all pavers.
Several acres worth.

Scag48
12-03-2007, 03:46 PM
98% compaction?!?! Sweet Geebus, that's good.

Every job I've been on we had to hit 95% or better. I had 98% compacting utility trenches with a hoepac on a mini this summer, the trenches ran right where a parking lot would eventually be, there was no messing around.

As far as pavers go, we've installed a couple driveways with great success. The base is the key. At my parents place we installed a paver driveway. The ground beneath was ridiculously hard, a mini excavator with a 12" bucket would have seriously struggled just to sink a tooth, let alone dig a trench. We still put about 8" of base in, followed by sand to finish it off. Then we ran a plate compactor over the top to smash them down in there, resanded the cracks, then plate compacted one more time.

bobcat_ron
12-03-2007, 07:14 PM
Those HoePacs are better than people give them credit for.

Scag48
12-04-2007, 02:39 AM
Yeah, I really don't like using them for finish work very much, but they pack a huge punch for trenches and backfilling around basement walls, etc..

Gravel Rat
12-04-2007, 04:05 AM
The excavation contractor doing some work at my work place was using a 1000lb plate compactor it did a pretty good job. It would pack 12" lift of road base pretty easy backfilling a trench with new utilities in it.

I have used a hoe pack a few times for the contractor I worked for I never used one before and it does take some time getting used to. Then I spent allot of time on a Ingersol Rand Vibatory packer talk about monotonous job.

Back to the paving stones they are used a little bit here but not for driveways just for walk ways etc. To dig out 18 inches you run the risk of hitting rock ledge or large rock so you have to bring in a excavator with a hammer or hire a blasting contractor both very expensive. Patterned concrete is cheaper it looks good and its tough and stands up to the 40 inches of annual rainfall we get.

Then there is driveways that are too steep for anything but concrete you can't use asphalt because the rollers can't climb up and down. The driveway is formed then a boom pump is used to place the concrete. If the driveway is really long then a line pump is used at the farthest reach point of the boom pump. The line pump pumps the concrete the rest of the distance.

RockSet N' Grade
12-04-2007, 09:43 AM
I've got a BTI TC92 plate compactor that swivels 360 degrees or locks in place. It can put down 2'-3' lifts pretty nice. Cost me 8k new. Probably overspent (seems to be a pattern of mine) but I like it alot and it is a great implement.....has come in handy throughout this year and has landed me a few jobs.........