PDA

View Full Version : Tough time to work

pete scalia
12-01-2007, 08:00 PM
At this time of year with the weather turning cold it's getting real tough to work outdoor lighting and it really takes it's toll on your body. My freakin hands are all cracked apart from dealing with the brittle cable. Heating the cable tips while making splices really slows things down. Hands in muddy soil all day really drys them up and thus the splits/cracks. Secretaries have carpel tunnel syndrome. What do they call busted outdoor lighters hands?

Mike M
12-01-2007, 08:36 PM
That's what you get for not getting along with laborers. Hey Pete, have you read up on the 80/20 principle? Look it up on Amazon, few different business guys written some good stuff on it.

Lite4
12-01-2007, 09:28 PM
Pete, go to a masonry supply store. They make hand balm just for what you have. It usually is for dry cracked hands due to the concrete pulling all the moisture out of your skin. The stuff is amazing. I will find out what it is called.

pete scalia
12-01-2007, 09:50 PM
That's what you get for not getting along with laborers. Hey Pete, have you read up on the 80/20 principle? Look it up on Amazon, few different business guys written some good stuff on it.

I think your confusing me with my alter ego. I have employees but like to do most of the lighting work along with them as I enjoy it.

pete scalia
12-01-2007, 09:51 PM
Pete, go to a masonry supply store. They make hand balm just for what you have. It usually is for dry cracked hands due to the concrete pulling all the moisture out of your skin. The stuff is amazing. I will find out what it is called.

Thanks Tim, is that bee balm or something like that. That stuff is real greasy but if it works.

Pro-Scapes
12-01-2007, 10:26 PM
I love this time of year. Did a 4 day install this week and it was cool in the mornings but had mid 60's and 70's all week. Been really nice latley!!!

Being born in the midwest I can definatly relate to your work conditions pete... Gotta be a total bummer.

irrig8r
12-02-2007, 01:49 AM
Some farm supply stores sell something called "bag balm", meant for a cow's udder, it works great on hands too. (I used to work on a dairy farm).

I also have some gloves that work wet or dry. They're a stretchy knit fabric coated with nitrile on the palm, called an Atlas 370. For less than 5 bucks a pair, they work great.

It's been dipping down to freezing the last few nights. Today I think the high was only 54, and with a breeze...no fun.

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
12-02-2007, 08:11 AM
Mechanix gloves (series 2.5 with the padded palms) and L'Occitane shea butter.

It expensive, but I'm worth it.

Lite4
12-02-2007, 01:26 PM
The stuff at our supply store is called "working hands creme", probably the same stuff as James' shea butter but different name. It is expensive, but it is worth every penny.

Our nightly lows have been around 22 with the highs around 36. A little brisk but doable.

jana
12-02-2007, 01:41 PM
Get some "utter lube" your hands will soon be like a baby's butt !!! :dancing:

JoeyD
12-02-2007, 01:49 PM
are we really discussing hand cremes??? LOL....Buck up Pete, get some gloves!

spoken like a true Southern California boy

irrig8r
12-02-2007, 01:51 PM
The stuff at our supply store is called "working hands creme", probably the same stuff as James' shea butter but different name. It is expensive, but it is worth every penny.

Our nightly lows have been around 22 with the highs around 36. A little brisk but doable.

I just remembered I have a tube of "Working Hands" here too. Good stuff.

jana
12-02-2007, 02:07 PM
Joey, yes I am. :rolleyes:

http://www.originaludderbalm.com/udderbalm/

omg, I spelled it wrong in my first reply.

pete scalia
12-02-2007, 05:15 PM
Thanks guys. Seems like I've been trying to get my hands wrapped around a good set of udders all my life. Looks like I may now succeed. Not exactly what I'd been thinking of but it will have to do.

irrig8r
12-02-2007, 05:44 PM
Here's the one I've used:

http://www.bagbalm.com/

I can't talk form experience, but it's apparently good to use on other parts of your anatomy too...

http://www.bagbalm.com/download/bikemag.pdf

Chris J
12-02-2007, 08:10 PM
Oh, you poor fellas break my heart. I'm still in shorts! :laugh: Now, where's all the sympathy when July/August rolls around?

Mike M
12-02-2007, 08:55 PM
I had to get the A/C cranking today. But yesterday morning I almost had to put on a long sleeve shirt to hang my Christmas lights.

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
12-02-2007, 08:59 PM
We just returned to Muskoka from Toronto.... Brutal Driving.... Sleet and freezing rain all the way. When we got home we were 'greeted' by over 2' of snow on the ground. My Truck is buried and it took me over 2 hours on the Honda Blower to get us dug out. Now it is -6c and freezing rain.

Mike M
12-02-2007, 09:05 PM
We just returned to Muskoka from Toronto.... Brutal Driving.... Sleet and freezing rain all the way. When we got home we were 'greeted' by over 2' of snow on the ground. My Truck is buried and it took me over 2 hours on the Honda Blower to get us dug out. Now it is -6c and freezing rain.

You left out "Have a great day."

40 plus years in a snow belt with 6 months of grey skies, all I can say is you must have a great market for your indoor lighting.

Mike

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
12-02-2007, 09:10 PM
You left out "Have a great day."

40 plus years in a snow belt with 6 months of grey skies, all I can say is you must have a great market for your indoor lighting.

Mike

Mike, Believe it or not, I still have 109 fixtures to install in an outdoor system! We got all the wire in the ground last week then the weather came in. This is really early for such cold and snow here. I don't know how the heck I am going to manage to install the system but we will try....

Have a great day.

DIY Bob
12-02-2007, 10:10 PM
Here's the one I've used:

http://www.bagbalm.com/

I can't talk form experience, but it's apparently good to use on other parts of your anatomy too...

http://www.bagbalm.com/download/bikemag.pdf

As an avid cyclist, I can speak from experience on bag balm's effectiveness on bags of the humanoid, bipedal sort. It will cure the nastiest saddle sores within 48 hours. Magical!

ChampionLS
12-02-2007, 11:41 PM
We just had our first snowfall of the season. About an inch, followed by icy freezing rain. It's 28 here. About 5 weeks ago, it was 92 and sweltering. The leaves are still on the trees. We went straight from summer to winter with no fall.

Pro-Scapes
12-03-2007, 08:21 AM
76 degrees for fishing saturday... little chilly in the morning but beuatiful day out.

Went to the saints game yesterday and they had the AC on... little chilly in the superdome but really nice outside. Almost hot for our pregame beverages and jambalaya

klkanders
12-03-2007, 10:42 AM
Chris, Mike, Billy.....I am gonna Fed-Ex each of you a snowball. Open it up and throw it at yourself real hard for me! :)
James....All I can say is I feel your pain!
First snow 5" with freezing rain after that on Saturday.
Billy I see one of my ex Packers (McKenzie) made a nice play for ya yesterday!

Chris J
12-05-2007, 12:58 AM
Chris, Mike, Billy.....I am gonna Fed-Ex each of you a snowball. Open it up and throw it at yourself real hard for me! :)
James....All I can say is I feel your pain!
First snow 5" with freezing rain after that on Saturday.
Billy I see one of my ex Packers (McKenzie) made a nice play for ya yesterday!

That would be the coolest thing ever if you actually did that !
My family and I were trying to go somewhere close within the next couple of weeks where it was snowing. None of us have ever seen snow up close! I looked on the weather report last week, but no snow anywhere close.. I would really love to take my family to a secluded cottage somewhere in the mountains for the weekend. That would be the ultimate weekend for us!

pete scalia
12-05-2007, 01:11 AM
My family and I were trying to go somewhere close within the next couple of weeks where it was snowing. None of us have ever seen snow up close! I looked on the weather report last week, but no snow anywhere close.. I would really love to take my family to a secluded cottage somewhere in the mountains for the weekend. That would be the ultimate weekend for us!

Some folks like to get away take a holiday from the neighborhood.
Hop a flight to Miami beach or to Hollywood.
Me I'm takin a Greyhound on the Hudson river line.
I'm in a New York state of mind.

Pro-Scapes
12-05-2007, 07:34 AM

Chris... email me and I got some EXCELLENT recomendations in wears valley tn just outside piegeon forge.... close enough to town to be nice but far enough to not have to worry... 1st rate. We may go jan 1-6th

Just when I thought it was a dead year im booked out a month.

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
12-05-2007, 08:30 AM
-20c here this morning and about 16" of snow on the ground.

Chris, jump on a flight and bring the family, it's only about 3 hrs in the air, then a 2.5 hour drive north from the airport to here.... then again, wait until mid January, when night time lows get down to -35 to -40... thats when the trees freeze right through and start going "pop" in the middle of the night.

JoeyD
12-05-2007, 09:17 AM
I think Chris would like to still feel his face when he is outside in the snow. I mean snow is cool but that doesn't mean you need to travel to antartica to enjoy it.

James is this the time of year when Penguins start running around where your at??

j/k Have a Great Day!

klkanders
12-05-2007, 09:39 AM
I agree Joey...Johnson needs to see some snow but we are not tryin to give the guy hypothermia (sp?) are we. If he did visit James it would take him a week to thaw out back in Florida.

JoeyD
12-05-2007, 10:01 AM
I agree Joey...Johnson needs to see some snow but we are not tryin to give the guy hypothermia (sp?) are we. If he did visit James it would take him a week to thaw out back in Florida.

LOL, thats what I was thinking.