PDA

View Full Version : '01 Dodge Stake body 3500

oOTurfmanoO
12-02-2007, 04:16 PM
Or maybe it was an '02.....

I am putting a second truck on the road next year and want it to be a so called "purpose" truck. A good hauling truck that will eventually have a leaf vac hanging from it, mulch, clean-ups etc.

This truck has ~55k V8 gas, 9' bed that would need a hoist put under it, ready to pull and plow mount ready.

Just looking for thoughts on this type of truck or Dodge in general. Price aside, just looking for feedback.

I currently run a '93 f-250

Gravel Rat
12-02-2007, 05:12 PM
That Dodge in the picture is a dually P/U with a flatdeck on it.

You are better off with a Ford F-450 or F-550 truck a 1 ton truck has no legal payload. You put a dump body and all the stuff you want on a 1 ton its loaded already.

oOTurfmanoO
12-02-2007, 05:32 PM

You are better off with a Ford F-450 or F-550 truck a 1 ton truck has no legal payload. You put a dump body and all the stuff you want on a 1 ton its loaded already.

I'm not quite sure I understand what your saying, come again.....

PerfectEarth
12-02-2007, 05:48 PM
I think he's saying that the stake body alone adds so much weight to the 1 ton itself that you can barely add additional weight....you'll quickly be up to the GVWR. I think that's what he's saying.

For example, an F-550 with a GVWR of 19000# can carry an additional 9,000# EVEN if the truck is outfitted with a dump bed and weighs a total of 10000#..... you get more.

But the stake on that Dodge doesn't look that heavy. Find out what the truck weighs empty.

Gravel Rat
12-02-2007, 06:53 PM
The only way your going to get any "legal" payload out a 1 ton you have to go with a aluminum bed. You guys in the USA get harrassed by the DOT more so being legal is more important.

The tare weight on the truck with a full fuel tank and all the stuff the truck will carry on it perminantly subtract the gvw of the truck will give you the legal payload.

The way that Dodge in the picture is now your max payload being its a P/U truck with the box removed or it looks like it is 4000lbs is the heaviest load you can put on it.

A F-450 has a rough legal payload of 6000lbs a F-550 with 17,500 gvw 8000lbs a F-350 cab and chassis same wb as the 450-550 will have a legal payload of 4500lbs

All estimates your tare weight varies but on average a F-450-550 weighs 9000-9500lbs with a dumping flat.

DBL
12-02-2007, 07:07 PM

just wondering how you could tell that

Gravel Rat
12-02-2007, 07:13 PM
Just the way the wheelbase looks. A true cab and chassis swb has a 60 cab axle a P/U truck has a 53 inch or something like that. If you had the VIN number it should code to imcomplete vehical.

Dodge never could make a good cab and chassis truck with weak frames and weak suspension. One of the reasons why you never see them used for tow trucks.

vadeere
12-02-2007, 08:10 PM
Could the reason you speak so highly of the 450-550 trucks be because you have one? Just a guess.

TXNSLighting
12-03-2007, 11:47 AM
and their made for work, they tow alot, and do it with ease. especially for payload applictaions. stay away from dodge gas engines in a one ton. and the ford has a hoss of a frame.

Gravel Rat
12-03-2007, 02:15 PM
If it does have a 360 V8 its a pig on fuel and if it has the 318 which I doubt it would be underpowered.

I prefer Ford I have been using them for trucking for the last 15 years. I never seen a Dodge that could carry the same loads as a Ford or a Chev.

Put 2 tons on a Dodge truck with a 12' deck and its flopped on the ground. Dodge P/U trucks are the same you want to carry any load you got to add air bags.

The new 4500-5500 Dodge will be interesting how they turn out

Lawnworks
12-03-2007, 02:44 PM
If it does have a 360 V8 its a pig on fuel and if it has the 318 which I doubt it would be underpowered.

I prefer Ford I have been using them for trucking for the last 15 years. I never seen a Dodge that could carry the same loads as a Ford or a Chev.

Put 2 tons on a Dodge truck with a 12' deck and its flopped on the ground. Dodge P/U trucks are the same you want to carry any load you got to add air bags.

Really? I put 4300 pounds of sand on my 12' Dodge cab and chassis flatbed last week. It squatted maybe 1".

That truck should be dirt cheap b/c it doesn't have a diesel. I don't like the dodge gas engines.

vadeere
12-03-2007, 08:41 PM

Really, huh?
I must have one those special Dodges. Empty weight w/ 12ft flatdeck with hoist is 8700lbs, its tagged for 15000lbs, yea i know. This gives me 6300lbs of payload which it sees on a regular basis and sometimes more depending on how many bowl hits the loader operator did before work. Before you b!tch that this is too musch weight on that truck, I have personally driven through Virginia State Police's picnic thrown for commercial trucks and not one problem. Maybe I should trade this worthless truck on one of them 450 fords, I dont know what I was thinking buying this piece of ****, not.

Gravel Rat
12-03-2007, 09:56 PM
I have been working in the familly freight business since I was 14 years old unloading and loading trucks with forklifts. Any Dodge 1 ton flatdeck I seen never could haul as much as a Ford or Chev.

I have loaded 8000lbs on a few guys Chevy 1 ton flatdecks heavy has h*ll the trucks have no braking power. A 988 loader bucket weighs about 8000lbs.

I have put 9000-10,000lbs on my F-450s ya a little overloaded but the truck hauls it fine and it can still stop. The F-550 I used to drive put 12,000lbs on it.

The guys that do own Dodge 1 ton trucks are constantly replacing, Unit bearings (front wheels), ball joints,transmissions,brakes etc.

With Dodge diesels the local dealer can't work on Cummins trucks they send people to private shops with diesel mechanics. If you want to get warranty work done to your Dodge diesel you need to take your SOL.

Had a few people here with Dodge Cummins that needed engine repairs try get parts from Cummins in B.C. they say sorry its in a Dodge we don't touch those. Now your back to dealing with the Dodge dealer they don't know what your talking about. You ask any mechanic in the area would they buy a Dodge the all have the same answer "NO".

Worked on my brothers 95 Dodge Cummins 4x4 its a cheaply constructed truck. The only good part is the engine runs good but the rest of the truck is cheap.

One of the local buiding contractors bought a 2002 Dodge Cummins lwb cab and chassis 4x4 he plans on putting a dump on it. Looked the truck over the first thing he is going to have to do is replace the rear suspension with heavier springs it looks like a 3/4 ton truck suspension. The spring hangers are really cheap stamped steel and the frame is tinny looking.

It kind of says something when you see utility companies that buy either Ford or Chev trucks. Large forestry contractors buy pretty much exclusivly Ford or Chev and no they are not getting a deal on them. Towing companies using nothing but Ford and Chev 1- 1.5 and 2 ton trucks. Freight companies rarely use Dodge trucks.

The gov't company I work for had a few Dodge trucks they got rid of them pretty quick and went back to Fords. It is the same with other B.C. gov't vehicals the Dodges fell apart. I talk to many other gov't employees they said the Dodge trucks were junk.

If the US gov't didn't bail out Chrysler back in the 80s they wouldn't be around.

Keep your rattle trap Dodge real workers buy Ford or Chev trucks. You want a work truck you buy a truck that works.

Anybody that thinks its legal to haul heavy loads on a 1 ton truck needs to give their head a shake. What I used to haul 10 years ago on 1 ton trucks I wouldn't do today. I'am a fully legal trucking company that can haul anywhere and like I said I have 15 years under my belt. Loaded and unloaded loads off of trucks 3/4s of a million in value.

Lawnworks
12-03-2007, 10:13 PM

Hey Gravel Rat... would you like to make a wager? put your money(if you have any) where your mouth is?

vadeere
12-03-2007, 10:25 PM
I wouldnt e talking a lot of crap on the cummins, don't you drive the bastard child 6 liter, wasnt there a lawsuit over that little f'er. Ask anybody who makes the best diesel in a light duty truck is, yea its a cummins and I own a duramax too. My trucks run heavy, heavy but legal, do not get me started there. I am not a big fan of advice from people who are not in the business, what business are you in again?

Swampy
12-03-2007, 11:33 PM
Gravel is sort of right, I wouldn't buy a 1 ton with a V8 even if its the 5.9L a V10 maybe. Your better off saving you cash and buying diesel or looking for a better alternative.

As for towing companies, I don't know your area Gravel but I haven't seen a Tow truck that was a ford/chevy/dodge for about 10 years now. Around here their smallest is a Freightliner flat bed. The old hook and go tow trucks are pretty much obsolete. Ask the Tow companies around here, they may still have maybe 1 or 2 as a back up trucks but they never really move. Even the Fire Dept. are staying away from the Big 3 for their ambulances and grass rigs, I talked to our local Chief of Apparatus they are looking to build a new grass rig out of a new sterling cab and chassis.

Towards you guys fighting towards what company is better. All have their problems its going to end up what do you want to fix.

My problem(s) with Ford: We have a 2000 F-550 7.3L. First we had Engine problems of it trashing sensors and a bad cylinder. Second the fuel tank liner was eaten away be the detergent in the diesel. Third the transmission just pretty much gave out this last time out plowing. We got a new F-350 6.4L and the first thing went was U joints. Also when I was under it I was checking out the front suspension. Everything is non-greasable pressed barrings the only greasable parts was the pitman and idler arm. The only Ford that we do have that we haven't had major problems other than basic maintenance is our old 94 SuperDuty. But thats old school Ford.

Gravel Rat
12-04-2007, 03:02 AM
Yes I own a 03 6.0 and its been a good truck never had any problems with it yet. I have owned 7.3 IDI a 7.3 PSD and now my current 6.0.

More guys have been left stranded by Dodge Cummins than Ford in this area. The worst part like I said the Dodge dealer won't work on the truck they will sell you a Dodge Cummins but want any work done on it too bad so sad. A few guys in the area soon as their lease is up on their Dodge Cummins P/U they are going back to a Ford.

When you have a dealer that can't work on your brandnew truck why buy one. Like I said Cummins won't sell you parts or work on it because it is a Dodge you need to buy Dodge parts.

The nearest Dodge dealer that will work on a Cummins is 8 hours away if the truck has to be towed that gets even more expensive.

Even thou Ford has had problems people still buy them because Ford is a better built truck PERIOD. Maybe you guys should see where Ford P/U trucks go in forestry camps. The abuse these trucks see make stuff like rock crawling a walk in the park. The blast rock roads used in the bush are hard on trucks. You trip and fall on a blast rock road your gauranteed to slice your hand open. These trucks spend 95% of their life in 4 wheeldrive they only see pavement once a year which is to get annual maintenance.

Hey if you don't beleive me that Dodge is a poor built truck talk to guys that work in the bush they will set you straight :laugh:

A Ford truck gets them to work then ride 1.5 hours on a water taxi then another Ford bush truck gets them to the jobsite. Ford trucks have been getting loggers to work for 30 years.

The same is with the gravel mines they use pretty well nothing but Ford and Chev for service trucks etc.

Here is what some bush roads are like

www.youtube.com/watch?v=V9aojQjFcF0

I'am in the trucking business and been around trucks since dad started taking me out in trucks and heavy equipment.

supercuts
12-04-2007, 07:51 AM
wow, aside from the bickering, there was a point here. its about the truck in the pic. unless your getting this thing dirt cheap id stay clear of it. by the time you put the dump in, you may have been able to buy a truck with a diesel and dump ready to go cheaper. also, depending on the bed, you many not just be able to throw a dump hoist in it. if your only using it for brush and leaves, dont worry about the 1 ton thing. if your hauling topsoil/gavel, think twice.

Budget
12-04-2007, 08:24 AM
My son works part time for a large contractor here in Pa. H&K, He is a mechanics helper at night and works a full time job during the day. Well he is off on his own now we don't get to see him to often so when i get a chance i stop down where he works. Talking to the lead mechanic who services all the road service trucks and what not. Very nice guy about 58 years old been with co. for 30 years. They have mostly Fords, and a few Dodges, no Chevy's.
I ask him why all Fords? He said it is a dollar thing Ford gives the best price for new fleet, and right now they are part of a class action suit on 3 of their trucks with less then 25000 miles on them. He is a funny guy cause he said i don't want them to change up, Your son and i might be out of a job...:laugh:
But he go on to say the 360 gasser Dodge they have is a runner and with over 80000 on it with no major problems. Thats the only truck in the fleet he could say that about.
If that flat bed is in good shape i take it.

Lawnworks
12-04-2007, 10:38 AM
Yes I own a 03 6.0 and its been a good truck never had any problems with it yet. I have owned 7.3 IDI a 7.3 PSD and now my current 6.0.

More guys have been left stranded by Dodge Cummins than Ford in this area. The worst part like I said the Dodge dealer won't work on the truck they will sell you a Dodge Cummins but want any work done on it too bad so sad. A few guys in the area soon as their lease is up on their Dodge Cummins P/U they are going back to a Ford.

When you have a dealer that can't work on your brandnew truck why buy one. Like I said Cummins won't sell you parts or work on it because it is a Dodge you need to buy Dodge parts.

The nearest Dodge dealer that will work on a Cummins is 8 hours away if the truck has to be towed that gets even more expensive.

Even thou Ford has had problems people still buy them because Ford is a better built truck PERIOD. Maybe you guys should see where Ford P/U trucks go in forestry camps. The abuse these trucks see make stuff like rock crawling a walk in the park. The blast rock roads used in the bush are hard on trucks. You trip and fall on a blast rock road your gauranteed to slice your hand open. These trucks spend 95% of their life in 4 wheeldrive they only see pavement once a year which is to get annual maintenance.

Hey if you don't beleive me that Dodge is a poor built truck talk to guys that work in the bush they will set you straight :laugh:

A Ford truck gets them to work then ride 1.5 hours on a water taxi then another Ford bush truck gets them to the jobsite. Ford trucks have been getting loggers to work for 30 years.

The same is with the gravel mines they use pretty well nothing but Ford and Chev for service trucks etc.

Here is what some bush roads are like

www.youtube.com/watch?v=V9aojQjFcF0

I'am in the trucking business and been around trucks since dad started taking me out in trucks and heavy equipment.

Have you ever owned a dodge?

Skimastr105
12-04-2007, 01:10 PM
I have a 96 dodge 2500 - it is our backup/salt truck. It has the 360 gas engine, and even with a k&n cold air intake, dual exhaust, and a light foot, it still eats through the gas.

BobcatBoy06
12-04-2007, 02:23 PM
I would def look into the truck if you are able to get it for the right price, I mean I wouldn't pay more than 12,500 13000 tops. If looks like it is a well cared for truck, You won't need to worry about the payload if all you are going to haul is mulch and use the truck for leave clean up, those 360's are a very good engine, I mean they may be hard on gas at times but what one ton truck isn't.

Gravel Rat
12-04-2007, 03:03 PM
Yes I owned a Dodge it was a 1/2 ton 4x4 I got rid of it. My brother bought a Dodge 2500 Cummins 4x4 its definatly not as good to a simillar Ford 3/4 ton. Dodge dealers are really poor they really don't deal with Cummins powered trucks.

As for that Dodge being discussed the white one with a flatdeck make sure its a true cab and chassis truck. If its not your going to have one heck of a time finding a hoist. The way Dodge frames are you will have to make the bed higher so it sits right.

Dodge has always been a cheap quality truck thats what I :laugh: about.

The local Ford dealer has sold more diesel P/U trucks in one year than the Dodge dealer has sold Cummins powered Dodges in 10 years.

If you want a 1 ton get one with atleast rear disk brakes so the truck can stop. The 1 tons with rear drum brakes are under braked you gross a 1 ton to 12,000lbs its maxed out for braking power. Maybe you flatlanders don't care but good brakes are important.

DBL
12-04-2007, 05:59 PM
i have 6 trucks 3 are dodges and i think they are great trucks....but to each his own

Swampy
12-04-2007, 06:55 PM
Gravel thats great in all about loggers using fords and all but this is landscaping and lawn maintenance site. Right tool for the right job. I.E. I'm not going to use a brick tough Oshkosh MTBR 7 ton to pull and haul for a landscape job though it would look cool but still thats to much.

For those don't know what a 7 ton is picture:
http://www.panzerbaer.de/helper/pix/us_mtvr_7t_truck_usn-001.jpg

And for frames:
I just check their website. Dodge is coming out with a new frame for their cab and chassis. We had to block up our 550's flat bed but we put oversized tires on it.

supercuts
12-05-2007, 09:58 PM
I would def look into the truck if you are able to get it for the right price, I mean I wouldn't pay more than 12,500 13000 tops. If looks like it is a well cared for truck, You won't need to worry about the payload if all you are going to haul is mulch and use the truck for leave clean up, those 360's are a very good engine, I mean they may be hard on gas at times but what one ton truck isn't.

$13k?? i got my 00 F550 12' landscape dump with a 7.3 powerstroke, 57K miles for $10,500 knowing it had a bad tranny. tranny was $3k, truck, $13500 all set. there are deals, look for them, not one you need to put a dump in.

Lawnworks
12-05-2007, 10:34 PM
Yeah I would have to say the price would need to be 5-6k for this to be a good deal.

oOTurfmanoO
12-06-2007, 05:58 PM
If looks like it is a well cared for truck, You won't need to worry about the payload if all you are going to haul is mulch and use the truck for leave clean up, those 360's are a very good engine, I mean they may be hard on gas at times but what one ton truck isn't.

Well put. A good surf-n-turf meal is tasty, but your gonna pay for it!.

I installed an outdoor wood furnace to heat my home and hot water this year. I love in the country and wood is easy to come by. Well the point is everyone I told this to said the same thing:
"They are good, but burn a lot of wood"
All I can think is NO $h.t buddy, it isn't burning a lot of coal, and while your paying hundreds in propane, oil or electric to heat your home and hot water, my heat is free (minus my labor to cut it, but I enjoy it) and I have never ending hot water while you are waiting 1/2 hour after the last person to shower for the water to heat back up.

Had to vent boys!!!!!