PDA

View Full Version : New Holland LS170 - high flow option?

lccmo
12-02-2007, 04:34 PM
Would it be worth the investment to add HIGH FLOW to my LS170 skid steer?

SiteSolutions
12-02-2007, 05:25 PM
Yes it would.

ksss
12-02-2007, 05:31 PM
It depends on what attachments you want to run off of it. It costs more to field install HF than had you ordered it that way. What type of work are you looking to do with it?

bobcat_ron
12-02-2007, 06:03 PM
Not worth for for things like sweeping and using an auger, it uses more fuel, but if you do alot of brushing and road grinding then it's worth it.

GradeMan
12-02-2007, 06:30 PM
Go for it, It keeps your resale value up and It will be handy down the road

ksss
12-02-2007, 09:12 PM
I have always ordered my biggest machine with HF. It adds about 2K to the machine. I get about half back at trade in. I have not seriously used it. I order it in case I need it. So to date it has not paid off but it may. I keep pondering different highflow attachment purchases. I nearly bought a rock wheel last month.

lccmo
12-03-2007, 11:12 PM
in the last month I have used a breaker and a trencher the machine did great, but it got me to wondering if Highflow would help with such attachments.

Scag48
12-04-2007, 02:48 AM
Highflow won't do anything for attachments that don't require it. Highflow is a secondary circuit that provides higher flow rates for heavy applications like brush hogging and planing asphalt. Highflow does not replace the existing standard flow line. Similarly, the attachment attached to a high flow line must be a high flow requirement attachment, pushing too much fluid to a standard flow attachment is bad news. I really can't think of any other attachments that use high flow other than planers or brush mowers, I'm sure there are a few, but most attachments do not spin at high rates of speed requiring the additional rate of fluid flow.

As mentioned, it's super expensive to add high flow after the machine is delivered, way cheaper from the factory by a long, long ways.

JDSKIDSTEER
12-04-2007, 06:37 AM
Can you add it? I thought it was a factory only option. May not add anything to re-sale. We only sell 4 or 5 hi-flows per year. It would only add if the person you sold it to needed it. If they do not need it they won't pay for the difference.

bobcat_ron
12-04-2007, 11:20 AM
Don't ever run a jack hammer on high flow, the out going line pressure spikes will blow any seal in the system to hell, the way I see it, every skid steer should have a 3rd line returning all the oil straight to the tank (like I have now) for any attachments that require continuous flow.

Even mini excavators have this now, why not skid steers?

SiteSolutions
12-04-2007, 02:08 PM
Don't ever run a jack hammer on high flow, the out going line pressure spikes will blow any seal in the system to hell, the way I see it, every skid steer should have a 3rd line returning all the oil straight to the tank (like I have now) for any attachments that require continuous flow.

Even mini excavators have this now, why not skid steers?

Uh, my Bobcat has a 3rd line, and I bet yours did, too.

Glad your Cat has it.

bobcat_ron
12-04-2007, 02:26 PM
Bobcat's 3rd line is only 5/16" ID, my Cat is getting a 1/2" ID so the hammer can run back into it, the line is the same ID as what's already on the loader.
Bobcat's was just a case drain for the high flow motors whereas mine will perform much better.

Scag48
12-04-2007, 03:59 PM
That 3rd line, or flipping a switch to unpressurize the return (2nd) line, should definately be an essential when running breakers or hoepacs.

bobcat_ron
12-04-2007, 06:38 PM
Something like that, our little Hitachi 27 has a valve you turn with a socket wrench to divert the oil straight to tank.

ksss
12-05-2007, 02:55 PM
Not all attachments require a drain line. I have been running a breaker for 13 years on a skid steer and have yet to need a case drain line. Both my machines have them but I have never needed to use it. Some attachments require the use of them, but breakers are not one of them. Working on demo sites 2 lines is enough to worry about snagging.

bobcat_ron
12-05-2007, 03:27 PM
Jack hammers have always worked better and faster fr me if the oil goes straight to tank, I blew out 3 hoses and the oil cooler on my bobcat 753's system years ago from constant pounding, the oil coming out of the hammer spikes to 4500 psi at times, so it's always best to let that pressure go into a large volume like an accumulator or the reservoir instead.

Scag48
12-05-2007, 04:07 PM
I always flip the swith on the excavator when running a hoepac to turn the return line into a case drain line. Our 312 had a lever on the pump that did this and my buddy's Vio55 has a valve you throw that is under the operator's seat.