PDA

View Full Version : Possibly purchasing a Duramax

Lawnworks
12-02-2007, 07:22 PM
Well, I have found a Duramax I am planning on buying next weekend. I am paying cash, and was wondering how you would do the transaction being the current owner financed the vehicle through the bank. Meet him at the bank? How do I make sure I get the title?

Gravel Rat
12-02-2007, 07:25 PM
What we do here is either direct deposit or a certified check and sign the transfer papers the truck is yours. If this is a personal vehical its the best way if its a company vehical and tax write offs ask a accountant.

Is this a private sale or dealer ?

Lawnworks
12-02-2007, 07:30 PM
It is a private seller. Will they release the title right away w/ a certified check? Surely they would w/ cash(no chance of that bouncing!) right?

Gravel Rat
12-02-2007, 07:42 PM
A certified check is supposed to be cleared by your bank that you have the funds. Here in B.C. we have what you call transfer papers you and the seller fill them out they get signed you get the registration/title for the truck take it to the DMV put the truck in your name. Here in B.C. its when you pay the sales tax on the truck so you need to take a check to pay for that.

You can always give the guy your buying the truck from your bank managers phone number and he can ask if you have the funds.

NEVER have any cash on you always pay with paper (ie checks) then you have a paper trail. Have you checked to see if this truck doesn't have any liens against it ?

Tadams
12-02-2007, 07:44 PM
The bank will have the title there at the bank. What I have done in the past is meet with the person at the bank (you could even go into the bank with them but don't go to the window with them). They should have a bill of sale already made out (or you can write one yourself) and fill all the info in-VIN #, names & addresses, how much you are buying it for, and any warranty or as-is statement. Then sign & date it. Make sure you get a copy. Give the guy the money and stay at his truck so you know he doesn't skip out. He will come out with the title. The title will be in his name but with the bank as a lien holder. Make sure that the bank has signed the title stating that there are not any liens on it. He will then sign & date the title in the sellers area. You will then take it to the tag office and sign it and put the mileage on it. They will give you a tag and send the title off to be changed over to your name. Easy breezy japanesey.

Tadams
12-02-2007, 07:48 PM
What year is the truck? Got the Allison tranny in it? A buddy of mine hade a Powerstroke for years and then he wrecked it. He bought the Duramax-Allison combo and said that it is a LOTTTT stronger than the PSD. Your just made of money ain't ya works? payup:clapping:

Lawnworks
12-02-2007, 08:11 PM
So it sounds like I need to go into the bank w/ him w/ the money so I can make sure there are no liens on the title... the bank can sign the title once I give them the cash/certified check and we are good to go?

It is an '04 GMC 2500 Duramax crew cab loaded w/ 90k miles... should get it for 18k. I might try to sell it for 22k-23k if my wife doesn't like it(she will be the one driving it).

TXNSLighting
12-03-2007, 11:20 AM
What year is the truck? Got the Allison tranny in it? A buddy of mine hade a Powerstroke for years and then he wrecked it. He bought the Duramax-Allison combo and said that it is a LOTTTT stronger than the PSD. Your just made of money ain't ya works? payup:clapping:

all duramaxs have allisons

Tadams
12-03-2007, 01:22 PM

OH!! I didn't know that. I feel dumb right now!:o

GravelyNut
12-03-2007, 02:35 PM

Except those that don't. Up thru the 06 you could also get a ZF6 manual tranny. Same as saying all the 8.1L engines have Allisons.

TXNSLighting
12-03-2007, 04:30 PM
yes i know that....im talkin autos. and it is very very difficult to find a duramax manual...ha! they were junk!