PDA

View Full Version : 21'' self propelled mowers

AB Lawn Care
01-27-2000, 11:17 PM
We currently use honda 21'' self propelled mowers we love how reliable they are but we have found that they are to slow when in drive it is almost twice as fast to push it.I have heard that toro self propelled mowers are fast and also reliable.If any one knows about a 21'' self propelled that is fast,reliable and most of all has a good cut please let me know.Also if possible give model number.<p>THANKS!<p>from:Adam <br>AB Lawn Care

lawrence stone
01-27-2000, 11:25 PM
Buy a 32&quot; machine and double your production<br>rate.<br>

Keith
01-28-2000, 12:05 AM
I have had two Toro 21&quot; commercials, both with the Suzuki 2 cycle. The first one was a great mower, the second was a POS. I think if I looked into another it would be a 4 cycle.

dylan
01-28-2000, 10:58 AM
I used a few hondas and they were nice but I bought a lawnboy 5hp 21&quot; several yrs ago. It is fairly fast (enought for me anyway) cuts nice (mulcher attachment)and they seem to last quite a long time.<br>Just my preference.

bob
01-28-2000, 11:03 AM
I only have to trim a few areas with a small mower. I use a John Deere 14sb. It goes 4.1 mph. Thats a very fast pace. Bob

NewellMowingCo
01-28-2000, 01:18 PM
I use a 21&quot; Honda Self-Propelled mower. It is gear driven though. The hydrostatic mowers are very slow. Gear driven are a lot faster. Honda is the only way to go with 21&quot; mowers.<br>Justin

KUTTERS
01-28-2000, 06:54 PM
We tried the lawn boy it is pretty fast but the guys didn't like the wierd wheel design. I now use the snapper with the 2 cycle engine (we cut alot of ditches) it moves pretty good<br>

MWHC
01-28-2000, 07:15 PM
Look into the Toro 21&quot; commercial 4 cycles. I think you will find the ground speed plenty fast and the reliability is outstanding.

RC Landscaping
01-29-2000, 01:12 PM
I use a Toro Commercial 21&quot; 2 cycle self-propelled mower. I have used it for 2 years now. It is fast and has been very reliable. <p>----------<br>John<br>

Evan528
01-29-2000, 01:24 PM
I was wondering why all of you guys are spending so much money for a 21 inch mower. do you use it as your main mower. i have two 60 inch riders and a 36inch walk behind so my 21 ich is used vey seldomly (on very steep hills)because of this i go out and buy a 99 dollar home depot special. please explain why you all feel the need to buy 7-800 dollar trim mowers.

JimLewis
01-29-2000, 03:26 PM
I agree with Justin. Honda 21&quot; are the only way to go. More about them below. <p>But to answer the previous question about why some of us use 21&quot; mowers and why we don't use the $99 &quot;home depot specials&quot;, I offer the following; We use 21&quot; mowers because the yards we maintain are primarily residential lawns that are less than 3000 sq feet. They have small front lawns (usually about 1000 sq ft.) and the back yards are only a little bit bigger. A 32&quot; mower or larger is WAY to big for such homes. It's tough to navigate around corners, small lawns, and in between landscape plants to get to the lawn. Why do we use expensive ones as opposed to the cheapos at Home Depot? Simple. They last. I've used every &quot;residential&quot; mower under the sun before I finally went to Honda Commercial mowers. Every single mower I ever used broke down in less than a month. Which is easy to do when you are mowing 15-20 lawns a day with them. They just aren't built for it. The Honda Commercial mowers will last forever and they have a 1 year warranty on all parts and labor if something minor does break. And in 3 1/2 years since I switched to Hondas I've NEVER had an engine stop working. <p>Now, to answer the original question about Hondas. Stick with them. You will find Toros are much weaker, don't suck wet grass nearly as well, and aren't as long term. If you are concerned about the speed of the mowers there are two things you can do. 1) learn how to adjust the speed control lever. If you got a mower that is a little sluggish, just adjusting the cable that's attached to the transmission can give you up to 100% more speed. 2) if that still isn't enough (and it should be) then go to the 2-speeds. Those suckers HUMM in 2nd gear. Trust me. A 2 spd in 2nd gear when it's adjusted the right way will go as fast as you can possibly walk. <p>But stick with Hondas. They rock. I would never go back to any other mower. Commercial or otherwise. And I've used them all. Sure, there are a few disadvantages to Hondas (weight, etc.) but the advantages far outweigh them. <p>----------<br>Jim Lewis - Lewis Landscape Services<br>http://www.lewislandscape.com

Jason
01-29-2000, 04:29 PM
Do the Hondas have a good vac system on them for grass collection?? Does it make the grass stand up??<p>Thanks,<br>Jason

jjb51
01-29-2000, 10:18 PM
Jim,<br>Could you give me a model number of that Honda you speak so highly of? Also if you could, give me an idea of what I could expect to pay for that particular mower. I would also like a model number for the two speed unit, if you have that information. Thank you in advance.

JimLewis
01-29-2000, 10:30 PM
jjb:<p>I don't have those 2 speed mowers any longer. I sold my last one just a month ago so that I could get more Hydrostatic mowers. I love the Hydros. The basic model for these though is the HRC216. From there, there are several choices, fixed speed, 2 speed, and hydrostatic I believe. Go find a big Honda (as in Motorcycle) shop and they will have a lot of them on display. Expect to pay around $850 for the basic model, $900 for the 2 speed and $950 for the Hydrostatic. <br>-Jim<p>----------<br>Jim Lewis - Lewis Landscape Services<br>http://www.lewislandscape.com

mcambrose
01-29-2000, 11:03 PM
I have a couple of snappers that I have put honda engines on. I also added a speedup pulley on the engine shaft pulley. This is just a little larger pulley than the original. The machine will go faster than I can cut and the Honda engines will go forever.

VWBug61083
01-29-2000, 11:45 PM
I agree with jimlewis, go with Honda. I've never had a problem with mine. The two I have (model #HRT216S3DA) aren't even commercial mowers. These run about $500 w/3 speed transmission. The so called commercial grade ones start at about $600.

JimLewis
01-31-2000, 01:30 AM
Commercial Hondas for $600 ????? Are these the dedicated commercial mowers? The HRC216s? Where??? Let me know. I can't get them anywhere for less than $800 - $950 (depending on tranny). If I could get one at $600 I'd be glad to pay the shipping. It'd still be less than I pay. <p>----------<br>Jim Lewis - Lewis Landscape Services<br>http://www.lewislandscape.com

bdemir
01-31-2000, 01:00 PM
i have a one speed honda a (hrt216sda)and I paid 439.95. I live in michigan.

cutntrim
01-31-2000, 02:15 PM
We've used Honda's for 7 years now. In those 7 years we've bought 5 hondas. The original two we purchased still start with one pull - only thing is, the engines are all that remain. Honda engines are bulletproof as long as you regularly change oil and filter. Problem with gear driven hondas is the drivetrain, repair to the drives are frequent and expensive. However they cut beautifully and really earn their keep in long and wet grass. They aren't the world's greatest mulchers and the side discharge chute leaves grass in clumps if it's too wet or long, but they're unmatched when it comes to bagging. Anyhow, for most properties I do long and wet grass is only a problem in the springtime and after that we can side discharge or mulch just fine with gator blades. Commercial Hondas go for over $1000 up here. My partner and I use the hondas and our employees use push lawnboys.<p>----------<br>Dave in S.Ontario<br>

AB Lawn Care
01-31-2000, 03:09 PM
Hey cutntrim I'm in southren ontario too.What city do you live in?I live in stratford not too far from london and kitchner.Also is speed a problem with your hondas what model do you use and how fast are they.I have a company in my city that use hondas and i don't know if they keep it in 1st gear or what but they are really slow!!!!<p>Thanks!<br>from:Adam<br>AB Lawn Care

cutntrim
02-01-2000, 12:45 PM
Adam,<p>We're in Burlington. Our older hondas are HRA215's and our newest one is an HRC216. The old ones weren't technically &quot;commercial mowers&quot; but the only difference between them and the commercial mower was reinforcement brackets for the handles (which we ordered aftermarket) and steel wheels. The plastic wheels last pretty long anyway, it's the rubber skins that wear out. The newer models aren't available in steel decks unless you buy the commercial mower. Speed is definately not a problem with the commercial.<p>----------<br>Dave in S.Ontario<br>

Retro67
02-01-2000, 01:06 PM
Dave-<p>Have you ever had problems with the grearboxes? I had an hr21 years ago and never had a problem with it using it pretty heavily. When I was done with it, my parents bought it from me and used it for years, no problems. I just am wondering if they are still the quality machines of the past.&lt;p&gt;John

jayman
02-02-2000, 08:26 AM
yo, adam at AB in Stratford, hello from London . . . re: Toro 21's rock (2 cycle Suzuki, self-prop. only. These babies go forever. Very few problems with drive system, never any with engine, nice to use . . .die of cancer after about 3 years heavy use (general deterioration), but well worth the $1,200 CDN$

cutntrim
02-02-2000, 12:48 PM
Retro,<p>Had problem with one mower where we lost 1st and 2nd gear but speed can be adjusted through the drive cable anyway. We snap a lot of cables and springs and the transmissions end up slipping after awhile but we mow 200 lawns a week so what can you expect?<p>----------<br>Dave in S.Ontario<br>

snake1040
02-14-2000, 12:12 AM
I have been running hondas for the past eight years the biggest problem I ever had with on is I blew out the gears other than that they have been good. A few years back I found a commercial model with gears with less than 10hrs on it (I knew the guy) for 400 dollars. You should look into buying one it has more horses, steel wheels, and what you want. I have to keep in turtle because rabbit is just to fast. The turtle on the commercial model is as fast as the rabbit on other models and it can keep up with cutting unlike the homeowner models.

jeffclc
02-15-2000, 08:17 PM
Take a look at the Toro 21&quot; commercial. I don't own one, but spent some time looking at one at out turf confrence last week, and I was impressed. Heavy duty, well designed. It is a heavy unit though.<p>Personally, I am a LawnBoy man. I feel that they offer the best value. The commercial ones run for a long time, and they are easy to repair. They are easy to convert from mulch to bag to discharge. They work well bagging, discharging and mulching are best done under ideal conditions. The mower does not do great under extreme circumstances, ie high, wet grass. Under most conditions it is fine.<p>I'd give a seroius look at the Toro for my next 21&quot;, but it has a sale price of $900. My commercial LawnBoys @ $600 each are a better value for your dollar.

Cletus
02-18-2000, 10:26 AM
ah doesn't knows whuffo yo guys is buyin sech expensive mowers ah got one at mah brothers junk yard fo $10.00.Its a li'l beat up,smokes,an is hard t start. But once yo git it gwine it pow ful goes.<p>----------<br>Cletus<br>mow-4-money<p>

Bill c
02-20-2000, 06:43 PM
We have both honda and toro 21 inchers.I personally like the toro better for several reasons,The decks on them are very strong,the engine will out last the rest of the mower,and parts are cheaper than the hondas.

lawncare3
01-06-2003, 01:43 PM
Go with TORO PERSONAL PACE you will not regret it!

walker-talker
01-06-2003, 03:13 PM
It always trips me out when I start reading a thread and then see the name "lawrence stone"....then I scroll down to see who opened this post from over 2 years ago. It looks like lawncare3 is bored again.

MATT

odin
01-07-2003, 04:47 AM
toro in 21 is the way to go they bag well and can not be beat mulching.Honda's are a joke mulching they bag great but suck when mulching.

Bryan Wilson
01-07-2003, 09:16 PM
It seems that Honda and Toro are the main players. Any one have experience using Ariens Mowers? Good speed, bags well but a little heavy. Never buy an Ariens with a tacumseh motor, use Briggs.

bob
01-07-2003, 09:29 PM
Originally posted by bob
I only have to trim a few areas with a small mower. I use a John Deere 14sb. It goes 4.1 mph. Thats a very fast pace. Bob Same as what I said 2 years ago ,but with a Deere JX75, now.

Agape
12-01-2010, 10:39 PM
i have a one speed honda a (hrt216sda)and I paid 439.95. I live in michigan.

hrt is not commercial

Agape
12-01-2010, 10:49 PM
I talked to a landscaper who claimed that he uses the HRX for $700 and puts em for sale after 3 years for $400- the unit is reliable, weighs 40# less, and the drive gear is $1 (instead of $25 that the hrc216 needs every other month) with a lever for mulching on the go. has anyone had experience with these or is the $300 apiece savings just not worth the bother Right now I'm using an hrc comm.- and a honda homeowners (for wet-soft lawns)
I got a Exmark comm.21 but I don't use it as it lacks power and can't bag wet worth crap.

I remember when I worked for lewis Landscape he got the harmony and it rocked with function but didn't hold up well to trailer travel and the hrx reminds me of that 'cause of the plastic deck. but it was the shaft that broke wasn't it Jim?

Roger
12-01-2010, 10:49 PM
Careful. This thread was started nearly 11 years ago, and the last post (before the one today) was nearly eight years ago. Models and product offerings have changed in the intervening time.

Agape
12-01-2010, 10:58 PM
Careful. This thread was started nearly 11 years ago, and the last post (before the one today) was nearly eight years ago. Models and product offerings have changed in the intervening time.

I never read the date but good to consider when talking pricing

lawnboy dan
12-02-2010, 08:47 AM
i am using ariens this winter. so far preformance is as good as snapper hi vac and hopefully more reliable. love the adjustable ground speed.