PDA

View Full Version : How much does a typical Landscape maintenance owner make?

timmmay315
12-03-2007, 02:09 AM
I was just wondering how much an owner of a simple maintenance landscaping company makes a year, just mowing lawns?

CFLS
12-03-2007, 02:09 AM
not enough

TREEGUARD
12-03-2007, 07:27 AM
how much do u want to make? How hard do u want to work?

newz7151
12-03-2007, 11:12 AM
As much as his/her heart wants to make, and his/her body can take.

topsites
12-03-2007, 11:13 AM
Do you mean before or after the bs?

shane mapes
12-03-2007, 11:15 AM
it will depend on you and how many jobs you can get and if you have the right tools for the job .. and if you do it full time or part time. so it will vary from person to person and location to location....

All_Toro_4ME
12-03-2007, 11:40 AM
There are too many answers to your question. To start with, are you going to to do it F/T/ or P/T, type of equipment you have, primarily commercial or residential, how many accts total, high tight is the route, this will dertermine how many you can get to in a day and help determine daily income, how much are you charging for residentials, acre props etc. Answer these and we can go from there.....

wski4fun
12-03-2007, 11:53 AM
60k not including snow plowing. That's after all Business expenses. It does not include my expenses or my share of taxes on the 60K.

shane mapes
12-03-2007, 05:09 PM
60k not including snow plowing. That's after all Business expenses. It does not include my expenses or my share of taxes on the 60K.

so what is the amount .. you are very vag on the amount not to include this or that .......

hackitdown
12-03-2007, 05:28 PM
This year my goal was to clear $1500 per week after expenses. I usually make it, sometimes exceed it, but often fail to reach it. But I average close to that. That is pretty consistant earnings from April 1 to Dec 1. Dec 1 through March is plowing for about $1000 per storm. I end up paying a couple thousand to the IRS, but only because we max out my wife's tax witholdings from her job and file jointly. And she makes more than me.

FYI, I live in a fairly nice town with huge house lots, so the mowing prices are kinda high here.

DuraCutter
12-04-2007, 01:26 AM
I was just wondering how much an owner of a simple maintenance landscaping company makes a year, just mowing lawns?

The owner of a typical lawncare co prolly takes home about 30-40k a year before taxes. Some more, but the average is about that. That's 6 days a week or more, 8 to 12 hrs a day, working hard.

Not very encouraging is it?

Best to start another business or work for a company and get some savings, health benefits and some good time off.

Some lcos make way more, but that is the exception like any business. The top 5% usually make all the money, the other 95% make a living.

:)

topsites
12-04-2007, 03:00 AM
This is after the bs figures:

The owner of a typical lawncare co prolly takes home about 30-40k a year before taxes. Some more, but the average is about that. That's 6 days a week or more, 8 to 12 hrs a day, working hard.

Thank you.

Jay Ray
12-04-2007, 10:26 AM
Everybody in my hs graduating class is making more than me, and I'm the only one doing this.

DavisLawn
12-04-2007, 10:30 PM
Everybody in my hs graduating class is making more than me, and I'm the only one doing this.

yea me too... makes ya feel like crap dont it? lol.. glad im not the only one.

but these guys are right... it has a lot of variables.. but where i live in N Alabama.. every fireman, teacher, insurance salesman, high school and college kid cuts grass on the side... makes it hard on the ones of us doing it for a living.

Gator Lawn
12-04-2007, 10:41 PM

And what do you mean by "simple"?

I have a guy in one of my areas that pulls a pusher behind a bicycle(can't believe the bikes these people will lock up).

Another runs his ****** kid. They walk around until the dad has enough meth money. The ****** never mows closer than a foot to the fence. No trimming. Sad thing was the kid cut his toes off.

In another area I have an older guy with an L110 deere....lowes I think. He does good work, but takes too long for what he charges.

This whole area is infested with rednecks that have a pu, trailer and a rusty z. If I had to type cast the typical lco here this would be the guy.

On the upper part of the scale, I know someone who lives in my gated comm and just bought an $80K motor home. Don't know figures, but must be doing well.

At the extreme top is the businesses like justmowit. This is the model I'm copying.

Nate@TLCS
12-06-2007, 02:58 PM
you guys are brutile!!!! hey man...you can make million$$$$ or you can go broke in a drought year. It is not how much money you make, it is how much money you save to get you through the drought years. Later guys...off to plow snow.

RickR1818
12-06-2007, 04:52 PM
You have to remember something though, when someone says I made 30-40 k this year. Yeah that doesn't sound that great, but then remember that they made that in 7 or 8 months not the whole year. So your basically talking about pulling in what most people make in a year and still have 4 or 5 months off to chill or do something else.

topsites
12-06-2007, 05:37 PM
Well now hang on with the cheap guy stuff...

I stopped by one of my customer's houses today, 20 minutes into it the guy comes out and tells me he's got someone working on it. I'm not getting into it, I really didn't have a big problem with it because that's beside the point.

See now, they hired a kid to do it.
He told me he'd been working on their leaves 2-3 days...
Dude, he wasn't half done yet.
In an hour or so I could've done as much, the reason I kept on it is because I really didn't know someone else was there.
It looked like someone had been fooling around with the leaves, but over half the yard had not been done yet.
We're talking a week's worth at that rate.

How much do you think they paid him?
Maybe more than I'd care to hear about, but still likely not enough.
There's no telling, he might get 100 / day, he might get 40 or 50 a day...

Everybody thinks leaves are so easy, and they should be cheap.
Then they hear me talk about 50 an hour and how I get done in a short afternoon.
I'm talking I don't even show up until noon, but my strongest blower is way past a br600.
Because I would've been done in 3-4 hours at the most, charged 200 and been done.
IF it had took that long, I had figured 3 hours but, didn't get the chance.

So ...
Who is cheaper?
And who gets paid better?

You have to remember something though, when someone says I made 30-40 k this year. Yeah that doesn't sound that great, but then remember that they made that in 7 or 8 months not the whole year. So your basically talking about pulling in what most people make in a year and still have 4 or 5 months off to chill or do something else.

This is true, but I still fail to appreciate the loftier figures based on an 'IF I were able to work all year' scenario, at least this 30-40k figure is honest.

That's the thing about this job, at least a fair part of the year we get to do what we want.

stuffdeer
12-06-2007, 05:40 PM

Your doing something wrong. I'm making more then every kid in my Graduating class....

Roger
12-06-2007, 10:59 PM
... I'm making more then every kid in my Graduating class....

Be careful of inclusive language. How can you be so sure?

DavisLawn
12-06-2007, 11:14 PM
Your doing something wrong. I'm making more then every kid in my Graduating class....

KID being the key word.... probably what 19 or 20? u may be but wait till your 30 something

shanki456
03-04-2008, 10:16 PM
I think the 30-40k is really low. I dont own the company I work for, and I make around 28,000 from april-nov. I know for a fact my boss makes over 70,000 during those months, and that does not include plowing in the winter. It's all in how hard you want to work. Eventually I'll be taking over the business, and I working as hard as we do now.

mowing grass 1111
03-04-2008, 11:04 PM
last year as a mow and blow lco i grossed $45,600 and only worked 72 days out of the year... 3 days x 24. i paid out $1,800 in labor . i don't have all my paper work done yet for taxes but i would give a rough esimate of $28,500 - $30k net ...not to shabby for for 72 8-9 hour days. The most i have grossed was a little under a $ 100k in my second year when i had a business partner .
this season i have already signed two new accounts which will add another day of mowing and 3 leaf clean ups and give me a 56 % increase in gross.
i have toyed around with the idea of growing the business adding crews but i don't want the hassle

mobileboy
08-06-2008, 02:59 PM
mowing grass,

How on Earth did you gross over 650 a day just mowing? Commercial accounts? Rich area?

hackitdown
08-06-2008, 05:55 PM
mowing grass,

How on Earth did you gross over 650 a day just mowing? Commercial accounts? Rich area?

That's not too hard to imagine...13 lawns at $50 avg. each. When I fell behind a couple of weeks ago, I hired a 3rd guy, and I grossed $1075 in a day on 19 lawns. So me and a guy on mowers, and the 3rd guy trimming/blowing.

Unfortunately, I don't have enough accounts to do that every day. Not even close.

mobileboy
08-07-2008, 09:59 AM
Being solo there is no way I could pull off that many 50 dollar yards in a day. I guess that was the source of my amazement. I must just be slow. I can do maybe 8 yards a day in my area. I need to get it moving!

hackitdown
08-07-2008, 02:02 PM
Being solo there is no way I could pull off that many 50 dollar yards in a day. I guess that was the source of my amazement. I must just be slow. I can do maybe 8 yards a day in my area. I need to get it moving!

8 yards at $50 is a good day for solo. I have a helper, and 2 mowers, so we move pretty quick, almost double the pace.

davis45
08-07-2008, 04:56 PM
I'm really hoping you guys claiming 30-40k a year before taxes, is for a SOLO OP?

I know a local guy who has 2 guys running with him, I believe he nets around $65-70k.

txgrassguy
08-07-2008, 06:14 PM
Prior to my divorce, which was final in March '07 after two years - I was netting between $75 - $90K/year.
Yes I had crews and no, mowing wasn't all we did.
I decided to down size a bit (well the $300K I lost in the divorce certainly didn't help either) and am on track to net about $55K for '08 since March.
Fiscal projections for '09 indicates I'll be back to the mid $80's to low $90's after taxes.
However, I have been doing this work for many years, have a very streamlined business and have taken great pains to hire and train very conscientious employees.
A typical work week is usually, for the guys about 45 hours or so. Right now I'm up to about 70 but anticipate returning to 50 - 60 hour work weeks with-in the next two months.
I operate 12 months out of the year here in central Texas and our summer months is kind of like the northern winters I experienced before coming to Texas. You just can't work a ten hour day in the field when it gets to 102*F by noon or a bit after. Kind of like trying to mow in the extreme cold. Doesn't happen.

ALC-GregH
08-07-2008, 08:54 PM
My goal for 09 will be to net close to $30K mowing by my self. Plus all the extra add on work.

Rhett
08-09-2008, 10:52 AM
Lots of variables. What did you break? What equipment expired before expected time? Years 3 thru 5 around 60 for me. Helper made 24 or so. Thats working 7 days a week March thru November. Three monthes are 5 days a week solo. This year looks like by the end of year I should have enough for a cheap six pack of beer and a store brand bag of cheetos.

Allens LawnCare
08-10-2008, 10:20 PM
We're suppose to get paid!!! Damn....I believe I'm owed some money