PDA

View Full Version : How important is a web site for LCOs?

Exact Rototilling
12-03-2007, 09:04 PM
Do you find you gain or retain clients by having a web site? Any customer feedback or compliments from them? Do you include the web link in your flyers, door hangers, business cards, or post cards? Do you have your *.com listed on your truck or trailers?

In my area there seems to be very few LOC who have web sites. If my memory serves correctly I don't remember seeing many web site listed in the popular Nickel Paper in my area either.

Exact Rototilling
12-05-2007, 09:45 PM
:sleeping::sleeping:bump ;)

privatelawn
12-05-2007, 10:16 PM
Gain customers from your website? Yes about 5 the first month I had it up but I payed google adwords, I stopped advertisng it because I did not want any new accounts.

website is on my business cards along with email address

website will be listed on my truck when I get a box truck next season

For what a website cost its worth having even if its just to have the email address whatever@yourcomany.com instead of yahoo or something

Raven386
12-05-2007, 10:35 PM
i have a website... and I got emails from it, just never in my service area and they really never lead to any work. id say maybe 2 customer came from the website. Alot of calls I get are from the cards I leave everywhere especially the Senior Center in town.

ritchiem
12-05-2007, 11:25 PM
A website for an LCO is a usually (I find) the final qualifier. Potential customers that are lead to the website can make a final decision if they want to use your services. You can have a testimonial page, a gallery of they work you have done, online payment, etc. So you may not attract new customers from the website alone, however, it acts as a great marketing tool.

wooley99
12-05-2007, 11:49 PM
I have the cheapest website you can get from Yahoo. It included the cheesy website builder and the email address. ~$10 / month. It has paid for itself in new business, adds some respectability and it's kind of fun.

Grits
12-06-2007, 01:03 AM
I have the cheapest website you can get from Yahoo. It included the cheesy website builder and the email address. ~$10 / month. It has paid for itself in new business, adds some respectability and it's kind of fun.

Hey Tom.
I like your site. Looks good, simple and to the point. I am about to PM you about a job.

TomberLawn
12-06-2007, 10:10 AM
I know a lot of these lawn care marketing guys who have packages to sell, like marketing plans and sample contracts, really support the idea of having a website. They make it sound like a necessity. I don't see many guys in my area with websites, or at least I haven't seen their URL on their trucks, but I live in a rural area where most business is probably word-of-mouth referrals or they got a business card off a bulletin board in the gas station. There are a lot of rich neighborhoods on the other side of the county, and I bet most of those guys have websites since there is more competition. Having a website could be the deciding factor for some customers, simply because they have a little bit more information and a picture to look at. I don't have a website yet because I'm still really small and working in the rural area or small neighborhoods where everybody knows everybody and will talk about me. I'd like to get a site in the future though.

bohiaa
12-06-2007, 11:22 AM
I know a lot of these lawn care marketing guys who have packages to sell, like marketing plans and sample contracts, really support the idea of having a website. They make it sound like a necessity. I don't see many guys in my area with websites, or at least I haven't seen their URL on their trucks, but I live in a rural area where most business is probably word-of-mouth referrals or they got a business card off a bulletin board in the gas station. There are a lot of rich neighborhoods on the other side of the county, and I bet most of those guys have websites since there is more competition. Having a website could be the deciding factor for some customers, simply because they have a little bit more information and a picture to look at. I don't have a website yet because I'm still really small and working in the rural area or small neighborhoods where everybody knows everybody and will talk about me. I'd like to get a site in the future though.

Yea For the most part it's a waste of money...

I have a friend who sells plants along with his lawn service and for that it does well,

Lets face it, If ya see a truck going down the road..... OK... Plumbing.

And it says on the side of it.... WWW.joesplumbing.... Do you think of

HAY lets copy that down and check it out when we get home, he must be good I mean he has a web site....

toac
12-06-2007, 11:43 AM
I think websites are great. I posted on craigslist.com and probably got about 10-20 quote requests a month. $7.95 for the domain, $20 for 2 years of hosting (ebay, been using the same guy for years). So for $18 a year and about 15 minutes a week (posting on craigslist), I've made tons of money. You do get a lot of crappy requests and a lot of spam (if you have a request form on your website), but it is well worth the time and money.

toac
12-06-2007, 11:46 AM
HAY lets copy that down and check it out when we get home, he must be good I mean he has a web site....

Personally, I think it is easier to remember a web address than a phone number.

wildstarblazer
12-06-2007, 12:40 PM
Yea For the most part it's a waste of money...

I have a friend who sells plants along with his lawn service and for that it does well,

Lets face it, If ya see a truck going down the road..... OK... Plumbing.

And it says on the side of it.... WWW.joesplumbing.... Do you think of

I think people will write down your site address if they see you on the road and have been looking for a service, I do, if I am in the market for something and see someones site address. Your truck might just be what gets them to action. I think You should have a decent looking stet up though and an easy to remember domain name.

TomberLawn
12-06-2007, 03:10 PM
555-493-5948. Okay, I just made this number up, but how easy would it be to read and remember these 10 digits while driving down the road? Now, www.anybodylawncare.com (don't try to look for it, it doesn't exist) is pretty easy to remember and you can get the phone number from the website when you have a pen to write it down. Anyway, plumbers usually don't come to your house every week or two and what they do is usually not seen anyway, but a person's yard is different. They want to see pictures of work you've done and find out a little bit about you before they entrust their property to your care.

privatelawn
12-06-2007, 04:48 PM
My website gets me customers from out of state that own homes here, there is almost no other way I would get those customers, listing it say on business cards or trucks is another story as if they wanted your services they could also just call no need for a website there. You cant beat a website in terms of dollars spent per customer gained.

Website = $6.00 per month, 5+ new customers per month from it can be obtained, I have done post cards and door hangers also and sure they have brought in more customers but they also costed me alot more money.

If I can continue gaining 5 customers per month from the website I can say bye bye to walking all day putting up door hangers or spending a small fortune mailing.

Gilligan
12-07-2007, 05:12 AM
The average residential customer most likely won't visit your website, but alot of commercial accounts will take a look at work you have done and to get a feel for the size of your company.

Having a site can be the deciding factor sometimes when all else appears to be equal.

TGM
12-07-2007, 10:25 AM
htmlgoodies.com

you can learn how to build a website, often times you can use a template and modify it. the basics are fairly simple once you learn it. i used a template for my landscaping website, but i'm building an entirely new one. what do i pay for a year? $20. shop around and compare.

as for having one? well, it helps when people are searching for landscapers online. it doesn't necessarily mean you get the best calls coming in, but some good acounts will come from you having a website. and yeah, it's kind of of the closer. the more professional, the better.

million impossible
12-08-2007, 08:40 AM
I think that web addresses and phone numbers can both add value to your brand awareness...

for example www.millionimpossible.com and 0845 468 5000 are my details but i would much prefer a number like 0845 000 000..

I think that some customers use the web and some still like using the phone.... you cant always access a website and if your out and about and see a telephone number you can call it straight away... what do you think?

Brad Chapman
Million Impossible plc
www.millionimpossible.com

echeandia
12-08-2007, 01:59 PM
I have a website and use Google Adwords. It has generated calls and email that resulted in business. I get better results with it than I get with my newspaper ad.

ALarsh
12-08-2007, 04:34 PM
My website has more than paid for itself. I submitted my listing to google maps, i'm the first lawn care company that comes up when you search our City, State "Snow Plowing". I have been getting 2-6 calls a day for snow plowing, most of them are in my service area. Now I need to figure out how to get on top for lawn care.

Most of my customers looked at my site at one time or another, and just about all new customers do. All for $100 a year, plus web design, its a no brainer for me.

LawnSharks
12-11-2007, 04:12 PM
I agree with TOAC. I believe more people can remember a website quicker than a phone number especially if you have a catchy name. Charlotte is one of the largest transient areas in the country and we get tons of hits from people moving down here from other areas. They are looking for lawncare and other services before they even arrive. I, personally have gained numerous annual accounts from my site. Adwords help alot but signage on vehicles and lawn signs work wonders.

americanlawn
12-12-2007, 02:08 AM
I'm sure websites work well for many, but not for us. We've had two over the years. We dropped each one after trying them at least two years each. Many reasons including requests from a thousand miles away, free advice, etc. Our advantage is that we are well known and trusted, so we get most of our accounts through word of mouth. My two cents worth.

lifetree
12-12-2007, 06:20 AM
There's been some interesting approaches outlined on how to get a website, several much less than I thought it would cost ... thanks !!