PDA

View Full Version : Good times

Scag48
12-04-2007, 03:53 AM
Closed my property purchase this week, bring on the payments. Getting ready for the ski season, we're getting hit pretty hard right now with precip in the Seattle area, snow level is rising, but local ski areas got about 48" of snow in about 2.5 days. Ready for school to be over this quarter, 19 credits plus work almost killed me. 1 more week...

Gravel Rat
12-04-2007, 04:17 AM
A little bit of stress does the body good :laugh:

We got some snow on the coast but its gone now the rain washed it all away. We ended up with 12 inches something we haven't seen in couple years. The hills (skiing) thou got hit with the rain too and washed away the base.

I think I'am gonna have to buy a set of snow chains this year we are supposed to be in for lots of snow this year.

Got any pictures of your property ?

Scag48
12-04-2007, 04:35 AM
I may have posted this pic here once before, can't remember. This is a photo my mom took a couple months ago, I haven't seen the property in person yet, been too busy to get back home to look at it. 3.5 acres, gated subdivision, I'd never build on it for myself but some moron with too much money from Seattle would. That's what I'm waiting for. It's a bit of a drive from town, but it does have a view of the lake and there have been 3 lot sales in the subdivision since I put money down on mine a couple months back. I can see that place being somewhat of a commodity in a few years, people looking for "ranch living" building sites with generously sized lots and decent views.

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b237/Railslider/corralcreek1.jpg

As far as the snow goes, it's getting pretty hardcore. We had 5" of snow here in Lynnwood, that's fairly unusual. About 2-3 days a year, we'll get an inch or two, it'll last until about noon and it's gone. Sunday morning was ridiculous, nobody knows how to drive in the snow here. I drove my car instead of the truck as my truck is 2wd, every stop sign I came to I decided to cut the car loose upon accelerating. Good way to get the blood flowing early in the AM headed to a shift at the restaurant that I pretty much didn't want to show up for. Hahaha

RockSet N' Grade
12-04-2007, 09:36 AM
We got a little snow here too. 6" on the valley floor in a day and about 24" new stuff in the hills. Real estate market is awesome here for those who produce "For Sale" signs. That is about the only sector that is accelerating. One home type that is still alive is the patio home.........single level, small yard, build for those that are downsizing........after all us baby boomers are hitting that age where we are starting to consolidate, want less "stuff" and are planning for those retirement years. Appraisals in residental have all but evaporated.

bobcat_ron
12-04-2007, 12:44 PM
That is a nice looking view, good spot to pitch a tent and crack open some tasty CANADIAN beers!

Scag48
12-04-2007, 04:47 PM
For sure, I'm a real fan of Kokanee. Actually, the covenants don't allow pitching of tents, but I think when I have time to head over I'll spend a night up there. There aren't any houses up there yet, nobody would complain.

Tigerotor77W
12-04-2007, 05:22 PM
As far as the snow goes, it's getting pretty hardcore.

That Lake Chelan?

And I read about the interesting weather y'all have gotten up in the PNW... Rainier's been snowing like crazy!

I miss WA... :(

Scag48
12-04-2007, 07:15 PM
The property I bought is back home in Chelan. I'm still in Lynnwood right now, 40+ degrees right now, sun is out, but the wind is RIPPING. My local ski hill opens in 2 days, but the snow is no good, it rained for about 2 days. It'll make for a good base, but I'm waiting for fresh snow before I head up.

Next summer I'm planning to climb Rainier with a friend of mine, we were planning on doing it this year but funds and time just didn't allow. Next summer is the year, it'll cost us about $2K to go by the time we gear up and pay for a guide.

I didn't take this photo, but it just gives you an idea how huge Rainier is compared to everything else that is basically at sea level, all 14,410 feet of it. I'll be on top of it next July, getting closer to having enough for a deposit on the guide service.
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b237/Railslider/mtrainier.jpg

bobcat_ron
12-04-2007, 07:21 PM
That Mt. Rainier would be a great volcano show when it erupts.

Scag48
12-04-2007, 07:27 PM
They say it will happen again eventually, but they're not really sure how long it will be, more than likely not any time in the near future. If I was on Rainier when it erupts, it wouldn't be such a bad way to go out.

Tigerotor77W
12-04-2007, 09:19 PM
Its eruption is not the greatest concern... the lahar flows are what'll bury about all cities between Rainier and Seattle.

And I love Rainier. To put it lightly... the choice is coming down to Cat or Rainier. I never had thought that a geographic region could attract me this much, but man. 7 trips out to Rainier for three sunrises and two sunsets (mind you that while sunsets are at 9PM, the trip down the mountain is another hour and the drive back another two!), one trip up to Camp Muir, and nearly 3,500 photographs later, I'm back in IL.

Oh well. I'll climb it one day, too, scag... one day...

Gravel Rat
12-04-2007, 09:44 PM
You wouldn't build a house on that ?

I grew up in a rural area and still live in a area who needs a frigging city.

I would have a house and a work shop on the property if the rules allowed. Have satelite tv and internet.

I go to Vancouver and spend a day there gotta get back to normalism who in the h*ll can live in a city.

Fieldman12
12-04-2007, 09:50 PM
Good pics Scag48 and good luck with the land purchase.

Scag48
12-04-2007, 11:06 PM

No, can't bring any equipment home at night, I don't want it. This piece is merely an investment.

And yes, Rainier is an awesome place to be all year round. Trying to get a winter hiking trip going with a few friends during the holiday break.

qps
12-04-2007, 11:28 PM

I grew up in a rural area and still live in a area who needs a frigging city.

I would have a house and a work shop on the property if the rules allowed. Have satelite tv and internet.

I go to Vancouver and spend a day there gotta get back to normalism who in the h*ll can live in a city.

Ya might be able to find a job in the city:rolleyes:...:drinkup:

Gravel Rat
12-05-2007, 12:10 AM
So the covenants are pretty strict then if your not allowed any thing parked outside. With most subdivisions in this area the rules go out the window after awhile when the development owners realize they can't sell any of the properties.

As for living in cities sure I could live in Vancouver but your commute to work is over 1 hour. Rents are out of this world you live in somebodies illegal basement suite for 1000-1500 a month. Driving around Vancouver you put your life in your hands. The crime is getting worse you don't dare leave anything in your vehical. You look at somebody the wrong way you run the risk of getting stabbed or shot at. When my brother lived in Vancouver his truck got broken into so many times he just left the doors unlocked.

The jobsite he worked on theives stole the tools etc they cut the lock off the storage bin. Vancouver has to be one of the worst Ghettos than you can imagine it can rival Seattle and New York. Its a horrible city to live in people are the rudest. There is so many different cultures in one area they clash. Like I said driving around Vancouver you put your life in your hands its a nightmare. There is people shooting up drugs in the back alleys. Hookers on every street corners and pan handlers begging for money. Lots of poor people pushing shopping carts around looking for scrap metal etc.

Where Bobcat Ron lives is a little nicer it is farm country.

bobcat_ron
12-05-2007, 12:21 AM
Where Bobcat Ron lives is a little nicer it is farm country.

If you like the smell of sh*t, that's the smell of money to me.

But we do have our fair share of problems here, more drugs and crime in areas where there once was rural farm land, but it's all due to the ever exploding population of East Indian berry farmers and their lawless sense of living and culture.

Gravel Rat
12-05-2007, 01:31 AM
I have relatives that live in the Pitt Meadows area they have seen it grow allot. The whole Maple Ridge area has grown. More and more people are moving to the valley.

Scag48
12-05-2007, 02:42 AM
The covenants in the subdivision are very strict down to the color your paint your house, the siding and roofing you put on it, the size of garage you build, landscaping, etc., etc., I could go on and on. This doesn't bother me too much though, my parents checked into it completely before we signed anything. My dad has bought so much property in his lifetime he knows what to look for, my mom sells real estate part time so she's hip to the beat as well. It's pretty much where rich folk would build anyway, which in the end makes it a better investment piece, you won't have Jethro Clampitt living next door with 25 cars and not a single one of them running.

Scag48
12-05-2007, 03:01 AM
And GR, Seattle isn't Ghetto, but Tacoma, south of Seattle, is. Hahaha. Long story made real short, I was in Vancouver for a bachelor party for my best friend this summer. We started off in the good part of town, but ended up walking through the most ghetto place I have ever seen in my life. There was about 10 of us, so nobody would really start anything, but there were syringes and bums EVERYWHERE.

Gravel Rat
12-05-2007, 03:12 AM
Hold on the property you will find a person with more money than brains and a ardon for some view property will pay you a good chunk of change for it.

Scag48
12-05-2007, 03:15 AM
That's the plan, then put a huge down payment on a nice 150 size excavator, KW T800, a trailer, and maybe a D5N, I'll be set. I'm planning 10-15 years out, but hopefully by then I'll get 3-4 times what I paid for it. $300K will get me into business for sure, I'll have a house by that point so I won't need the cash to throw down for a house down payment.

mrusk
12-05-2007, 09:32 PM
I laugh that you would not build a house there. Personally, i do not want to live in a neighborhood that people bring equipment home in!

gene gls
12-06-2007, 12:05 AM
The property I bought is back home in Chelan. I'm still in Lynnwood right now, 40+ degrees right now, sun is out, but the wind is RIPPING. My local ski hill opens in 2 days, but the snow is no good, it rained for about 2 days. It'll make for a good base, but I'm waiting for fresh snow before I head up.

Next summer I'm planning to climb Rainier with a friend of mine, we were planning on doing it this year but funds and time just didn't allow. Next summer is the year, it'll cost us about $2K to go by the time we gear up and pay for a guide.

I didn't take this photo, but it just gives you an idea how huge Rainier is compared to everything else that is basically at sea level, all 14,410 feet of it. I'll be on top of it next July, getting closer to having enough for a deposit on the guide service.
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b237/Railslider/mtrainier.jpg

Its a beautiful sight. I spent 1.5 years at Fort Lewis back in 65-66. Many times I wish I had stayed out there.

lifetree
12-06-2007, 06:54 AM
That's a very nice view of the lake and Mt. Ranier is beautiful !!