PDA

View Full Version : Removing Dump Insert?

RedWingsDet
12-04-2007, 08:07 PM
I have a downeaster stainless steel insert. I know its only 4 bolts to remove it, however the bolts are about 5" long and I dont know of any deep sockets that are that deep, and secondly they are on way to tight for a wrench.

Also, could 2 or 3 people remove this unit, it is stainless steel and I am taking the cab protector off. Thanks again.

xcopterdoc
12-04-2007, 08:24 PM
No idea how much it weighs.
To remove bolts.... let's see...
Hacksaw
Recip saw (Saws All)
Handheld Grinder (Grind off the heads)
Flame wrench.

SimonCX
12-04-2007, 10:14 PM
I don't think 3 people will have a problem removing it. When I was installing my steel insert 2 people could move it around in the bed without a problem. Pull it out about 2 ft and put stands under it, then slowly drive forward and put stands under it in the middle and then just before the the insert comes out put another set of stands. I think my steel insert is around 850lbs so the stainless should be alittle lighter.

hosejockey2002
12-05-2007, 09:09 PM
My steel dump insert weighs 1000 lbs. No way three people could remove it unless they were freaks of nature. But I'll bet one guy with a cherry picker could do it.

lwcmattlifter
12-05-2007, 09:42 PM
A loader with forks and a good strap or chain to hold the front end of the insert from tipping off the forks is the easiest way. You can do it by yourself that way. Four people should be able to unload it by hand, if you are using some kind of stand under the insert.
What type of truck is this mounted on. All the inserts i've seen use the bed mount holes for the connection point. The bolt goes through the bed and is secured on the other side of the frame. All you should need it a box wrench and a standard depth socket. Sometimes a swivel is needed to get around the hitch for the back bolts.
Good luck

supercuts
12-05-2007, 09:46 PM
i moved mine out of a 2wd truck and put it in a 4wd. it obviously had to go higher, so i blocked it and used a hi-lift jack worked great until the jack kicked out. just make sure your more carefull than i was